Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just Who Can Wear a Uniform?

My personal belief is this. The men and women that wore the uniform in the day found that it was hard won with hard work dedication and purpose and that was just boot camp for them. Later, so many paid a variety of levels of price, up to the ultimate price to protect the country.

This means to me that I cannot comfortably don a uniform and represent that which I have not worked for or earned the right to wear, especially in light of the sacrifice of those that served.

That's how i see it.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
chanteuseCarey said:
I've never heard of gal's wearing a man's "real" historic military uniform-- is it supposed to be "cute" like sortof as the reverse of a guy being dressed as a woman in drag? And if it was just for a fun photo op, wouldn't it seem that a gal wearing like it meant it as nothing more important than using it as a "costume".

Real American servicewomen in every war up until WWII wore men's uniforms, so I don't see your point? How is it "cute" or "dress-up" any more than a male reenactor? I'm not talking about wearing a garrison cap and a pin-up outfit. It is historically accurate to portray women in the field in jumpsuits or in uniforms. So I'm confused as to where the disrespect comes in?

Is it okay for the Civil War or earlier?

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I guess if you do that you just have to be good enough no one knows you're a frail, and then it's not disrespectful! Be sure and punch the first person to imply you're a woman in the face! ;)

I'm only 5'0" and a size small in women's clothes, but I'm just a perfectly historic Depression era teenage boy, I tells ya! lol

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Viola said:
I guess if you do that you just have to be good enough no one knows you're a frail, and then it's not disrespectful! Be sure and punch the first person to imply you're a woman in the face! ;)

I'm only 5'0" and a size small in women's clothes, but I'm just a perfectly historic Depression era teenage boy, I tells ya! lol

I see a 1930s paperboy outfit in your future.... haha

dr greg

One Too Many
the blood rules

In my opinion, the fact that it belonged to a family member overrules all other considerations, the bloodline gives you the right to wear the thing as you see fit; medals are a different matter in my eyes, but that's a personal thing. The ex-service organisations in this country are encouraging descendents of deceased veterans to wear their medals in marches on Anzac day, but I dunno about that, the tin has to be earnt I think. My father has a medal from Nam, but no way would I wear it for any reason:
A: I didn't think we should have gone there and said so at the time, and I'm no hypocrite no matter how much time has passed.
B: I didn't earn it.
all there is to it.
But a uniform....different thing I reckon.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Viola said:
Real American servicewomen in every war up until WWII wore men's uniforms, so I don't see your point? How is it "cute" or "dress-up" any more than a male reenactor? I'm not talking about wearing a garrison cap and a pin-up outfit. It is historically accurate to portray women in the field in jumpsuits or in uniforms. So I'm confused as to where the disrespect comes in?

:arated:

Further, the spirit in which you wear your grandfather's uniform is about Love and respect. I am sure he would feel honored by your memorializing his memory. I know I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
Hey everyone! Thanks so much for contributing to the discussion-- it was very enlightening to read both viewpoints concerning the wearing of a serviceman's uniform.

I've been away from the Lounge for about two months now-- I found myself in a bit of a rut, but I'm back :)

Anyway, here are a couple of the photos from the shoot-- I'll be uploading more as they are edited and sent to me.

Also, I just found out yesterday that during his service as a barber in the navy, my great grandfather cut Tyrone Power's hair!

Just as a refresher, this is what we were going for:
image_508_1-1.jpg

And this is what we got:
(All photos by Cassel Hiles Photography, Hair & Makeup by Me)
IMG_1953_color-1.jpg

IMG_1953_sepia-1.jpg

IMG_1979_sepia-2.jpg

IMG_1979_color-1.jpg

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:
:arated:

Further, the spirit in which you wear your grandfather's uniform is about Love and respect. I am sure he would feel honored by your memorializing his memory. I know I would!!!!!!!!!!!!!
icon14.gif

After seeing the final results, I'd have to say Carslile, is right on target! Great pics Maggie! I'm sure your grandfather would be honored.

miss_elise

Practically Family
i knew right off you weren't going to do something tasteless as you actually bothered to ask people if they thought it was disrespectful. and looking at the photos, my thoughts were confirmed.

good on you, they look great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe