Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Inc Jackets and Repair Work

Okay, Alan gave me the go ahead to share this one. It's not my jacket, like I said, so I was apprehensive to post it without first asking. I do love this thing though and plan on getting it in a Rust cowhide and or a two tone heavy Bison. I like the D pocket jackets but this one just really does it for me. Alan says it was based on an original from the 30's they had at some point, from what I can remember, and this one was made from cream elkhide. Now I've got a Lost Worlds Buco Ryder in cream elkhide that I love, wears like a leathery bathrobe, so I can't imagine how comfy this thing must be. When and if I finally get one, or two, I'll post pics. I just hope getting it in a color other than cream doesn't ruin the absolute cool of this jacket to me. Enjoy.
8667371244_696dfdf5d9_o.jpg
I don't think I can pull off that design, but I love that hide. No too light colored, but different. I'm gonna have to check out some other designs that might work with that. Thanks for posing - nice to see a "local" maker getting some good press here.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Not sure about the side-lacing, but the colour, hide and overall feel's really nice - I do like the triple zip on the D-pocket. I agree, though, I think rust would be my choice.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Small world. I was in there today also! What time were you there?
He mentioned that he had several recent half belt design orders. Got me wondering if other Fedora Lounge members were on the loose.
I was in there early in the afternoon. The only other person there was a young woman in a red dress, which I suspect
was not you.

Alan wondered why these Fedora Lounge people all wanted that half belt style. I had to tell him it was probably originally my fault...

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
After all of this, sent the guys an email last night. Got a reply back already....I might be onto something! I like that you can chop and change what you want, send in pics, come up with diff ideas. The other companies have awsome products and fantastic service, but I sense a bit more freedom here to throw some ideas around....looking forward to it. After all the johnson leathers threads and everything here, I feel Very confident that it will be on par ith my Langlitz....pumped.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Guys, has anyone got pics of their Johnson leathers? Im particularly interested in the Japanese Leather that brown/ black over dyed. Im also keen on seeing any of their horse hide. Any and all Johnson leather customs......I just need a bit more encouragement to pull the trigger. Gun is loaded, yellow glasses on.....bring it!

Guys, has anyone got pics of their Johnson leathers? Im particularly interested in the Japanese Leather that brown/ black over dyed. Im also keen on seeing any of their horse hide. Any and all Johnson leather customs......I just need a bit more encouragement to pull the trigger. Gun is loaded, yellow glasses on.....bring it!

Mine is still a couple of weeks out.

technovox

One Too Many

I have a jacket with that exact leather (brown/overdyed black) on order from Johnson. According to Alan, it should be delivered by the end of this month. The jacket is a variation on their M-200, but with a slightly longer body, added side buckles, and a tad looser/boxier fit. I'll try to post some pics as soon as it comes in.

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I have one with that exact leather (brown/overdyed black) on order from Johnson. According to Alan, it should be delivered by the end of this month. It's a variation on their M-200, but a slightly longer body and side buckles, and a tad looser/boxier fit. I'll try to post some pics as soon as it comes in.
Did you get a sample, or just buy it sight unseen? Im really curious about it.

technovox

One Too Many
Did you get a sample, or just buy it sight unseen? Im really curious about it.

I have an advantage in that I live in San Francisco not too far from Johnson's Leather. So about a month ago, I went over to Johnsons and tried on their jackets. To make a long story short, I looked at all their leather samples. I had already read all about the overdyed black on this list. Alan showed me a sample of it, and I loved it. It was a lot more supple than I expected, especially considering that it is 4 oz leather. I have a vintage Golden Bear cafe racer from the sixties with leather that is very similar in color and thickness- a super dark brown/virtually black... and I've always loved that shade and the way it wears. It seems to go with anything, and I like the way it just seems to get better with age. When I placed my order, they attached a small one inch square sample. (It's sitting on my desk right now.)
Small footnote- I can't emphasize enough how patient and helpful they are over at Johnson's. Those guys are the best!

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I have an advantage in that I live in San Francisco not too far from Johnson's Leather. So about a month ago, I went over to Johnsons and tried on their jackets. To make a long story short, I looked at all their leather samples. I had already read all about the overdyed black on this list. Alan showed me a sample of it, and I loved it. It was a lot more supple than I expected, especially considering that it is 4 oz leather. I have a vintage Golden Bear cafe racer from the sixties with leather that is very similar in color and thickness- a super dark brown/virtually black... and I've always loved that shade and the way it wears. It seems to go with anything, and I like the way it just seems to get better with age. When I placed my order, they attached a small one inch square sample. (It's sitting on my desk right now.)
Small footnote- I can't emphasize enough how patient and helpful they are over at Johnson's. Those guys are the best!
thanks mate. Im going to get a d pocket with brass hardware and removable shearling collar. Do you think it would lend itself to two tone jacket, with either black or dark brown?

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's great when you find a company that helpful, that will work with you.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
It's great when you find a company that helpful, that will work with you.
It is...they have a great reputation on this site, which goes a long way with me. The prices are reasonable, and the waiting list isnt too horrid...looking forward to seeing some of the JL jackets on here...

jack miranda

A-List Customer
A pic of a Johnson Leathers Hercules:

Here is a pic of a custom Hercules in black steerhide made for me by Johnson's about six years ago. Superb workmanship. Alan had fun with the details. This one is a keeper. I took in a completely trashed original Sears jacket as a model. Alan took measurements, scaled everything up to my size, and...
Johnson_Herc_1.jpg Johnson_label.jpg

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Jack, what is the lining in your Hercules? BTW that is one fantastic looking jacket with what appears to be a perfect fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82