Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IS THIS IS... OR IS THIS AIN'T... A HOMBURG?

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
I wasn’t looking for a homburg. I wanted a navy blue fedora. As you know, they are few and far between. They come along once in a (navy) blue moon. I lost out on a navy vintage Dobbs a few months ago which gave me a bad case of the blues.

Sorry.;)

Anyway – I ran across this lid a few weeks ago on the bay. An old private label out of Chicago called Ye Olde Hatters. I grabbed it on a Buy It Now. It looks vintage. Terrific condition – although the wind string button seems like it’s bolted to the crown. The dimensions are interesting - not exactly pure homburg – I don’t think. The crown is fairly soft, 6 inches open and the brim is 2.5 inches - deep pencil roll with a maroon binding. It has a kind of period citified western “Deadwood” feel to it.

Whaddaya think?

th_NavyHomburg1.jpg

NavyHomburg1.jpg

NavyHomburg2.jpg

By the way - can anybody tell me why I can't upload fuill size photos off of photobucket? They only appear as links... the smaller pics load OK...

[EDIT: fixed jpg link--AlanC]

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sure looks like a homburg to me. Dented, but a homburg.
A very nice one, too.

Why wouldn't you think it's a homburg?

carter

I'll Lock Up
Stop at jpg

When you copy the information from properties, don't copy any of the series after jpg. Then your images should look like this.
NavyHomburg2.jpg
NavyHomburg1.jpg

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Carter - yer a geen-yus!

Feltfan - I guess the brim width and the front dents make it seem like it's not a homburg. I like the lid, tho I think it'll take some getting used to - I'm a casual dresser.

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Well, it certainly looks like a Homburg to me. What else would you call it? I suppose it having a pinch like that would throw a person for a loop, but that's just it isn't it? A Homburg's supposed to be the happy medium between a fedora and a "High-hat". I like it, it looks really sharp.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
EVEN-STEVEN said:
Feltfan - I guess the brim width and the front dents make it seem like it's not a homburg. I like the lid, tho I think it'll take some getting used to - I'm a casual dresser.
A pinched homburg like that was often worn as a casual hat.
Just wear it and don't sweat it. Kid Rock comments aside,
I think you'll find that you can be dressed pretty casually
and pull off a pinched homburg.

But if it's big and you decide you don't wear it... well, nice hat.

Delthayre

One of the Regulars
The error of thorns

The brim edge clearly signals to me that it is indeed a Homburg and the high crown along with the fine contrast between the felt and edge binding clearly signals to me that I should be envious as that is a marvelous hat. Given the more casual crease and that few people today have a notion of what constitutes a formal rather than casual felt hat, I don't think that it will especially odd or out of place to wear it with casual attire.

Do you have an idea of the era when it was made? I can't even hazard a guess myself, aside from the very simple one that it was probably made before 1970.

EVEN-STEVEN

One of the Regulars
Delthayre said:
Do you have an idea of the era when it was made? I can't even hazard a guess myself, aside from the very simple one that it was probably made before 1970.

My guess is the hat could be as early as 50s, maybe even 40s. The liner reads "Ye Olde Hatters Established 1924 Hand Made Quality Felts" Located on Irving Park Road in Chicago. The sweatband has an embossed logo that reads "Moistrap Reg. U.S Pat. Off"

Anybody have an idea how to date this lid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82