Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a leather jacket & shorts a fashion faux pas?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Fashion faux pas? Maybe.

I will agree that shorts aren’t the most fashionable clothing item for grown ups, they tend to give an overly casual vibe, and many conservative establishments will ban them even with a tie and blazer.

But here in Vancouver, it is totally acceptable and ok to wear shorts. And many higher end restaurants will have patio seatings where shorts are not only acceptable but also common, from both locals and tourists.

Have I wore leather jacket with shorts? Yes, I did it a couple of times in August when we had a couple cooler mornings. Is it better than cloth jackets? Not really. I would still lean towards my cloth trucker jackets in the summer months. Less so about styling but more about convenience.

Now a pic of leather jacket and some knees,
IMG_3362.jpeg

Wear whatever you feel good in. The only exception is when your boss ask you to put on a tie, you put on a tie. Or become a rockstar like Angus.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
I was about to link that thread.... :p
Leather jacket and shorts….prob lookin for trouble. Might get beat up on the way to the beach!

Speaking of beaches….we had a member who wore epic leather jackets and shorts all the time. He even was so bold as to wear felt fedoras too and looked great….on the Hawaiian beaches!
Guess it depends where you are and how well you wear THEM, not the other way around.
B
Ps: pics OP

TLW '90

Practically Family
I would never ever wear shorts and a leather jacket or hoodie or really jacket of any kind, I wouldn't wear shorts with any form of long sleeves nor would I wear them with a beanie or scarf either.

Maybe that's just me ?

Leather_nube

Familiar Face
I would never ever wear shorts and a leather jacket or hoodie or really jacket of any kind, I wouldn't wear shorts with any form of long sleeves nor would I wear them with a beanie or scarf either.

Maybe that's just me ?
Definitely not just you. Definitely me, and I rock it ✌️

Bennarion

One Too Many
Speaking of beaches….we had a member who wore epic leather jackets and shorts all the time. He even was so bold as to wear felt fedoras too and looked great….on the Hawaiian beaches!
Guess it depends where you are and how well you wear THEM, not the other way around.
B
Ps: pics OP
Yes, I remember him. It was very funny to see his photo. He hasn't been here for a long time.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
So, just for fun, a photo especially for this thread with my only shorts (board shorts and leather trousers excluded) that I own. :D

I almost melted in the minute it took to take the photo. And it's not a visual highlight either. I prefer leather jackets with long trousers lol

IMG_4556.jpeg

I don't normally wear shorts in the city, but I did the other day on a city trip because it was incredibly hot with high humidity and my long trousers were all too thick.
So this was my outfit, but without the leather jacket.

1725787329097.jpeg

Leather_nube

Familiar Face
So, just for fun, a photo especially for this thread with my only shorts (board shorts and leather trousers excluded) that I own. :D

I almost melted in the minute it took to take the photo. And it's not a visual highlight either. I prefer leather jackets with long trousers lol

View attachment 638288

I don't normally wear shorts in the city, but I did the other day on a city trip because it was incredibly hot with high humidity and my long trousers were all too thick.

View attachment 638293
Looking bad ass

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars

View attachment 638288

View attachment 638293
Always the picture of style - nice legs - at least from the knees down.

I no longer desire to wear anything that's worn primarily by children. Men's "fashion" has been a disaster for a long while now but these last few years, things have never been worse. Having finally mustered enough courage to incorporate color into clothes, every single guy is nowadays dressed exactly like a toddler: Brightly colored T-shirts (with pictures and words), shorts and "sneakers" that could hardly look any more unhinged in terms of color and details.

I've been reading about this study that correlates mental well being with clothes which determined that being badly dressed is not merely a reflection of ones mental health but rather that having only bad clothes to wear is detrimental to ones mind.

Men are victims of a systematic (and successful) brainwashing of how to dress. We don't have a clue how to do wear clothes. There are barely any actual options out there - I mean, wearing a leather jacket and a pair of jeans is nowadays considered a "fashion statement" and an "alternative style", worthy of an entire forum - and what little there is, makes one "stand out" which most people can't deal with.
That wouldn't have been in issue if clothes didn't become utter trash undignified of a human being so what we're having now is millions of men, all wearing the exact same clothes that had degraded to the lowest possible point of quality and workmanship, available in basically unlimited quantities.

What I'm saying here... I don't know what I'm saying but wearing shorts doesn't really help. At all.

That’s a lot to digest, but I do feel that we (men) are losing identity and individuality these days.

Last edited:

BlueSteel

One of the Regulars
Interesting thread. For me shorts with a leather jacket = hard no (despite my 90s grunge heros wearing such an ensemble regularly).

BUT...shorts are an absolute yes for me in summer. The key is to choose your shorts for men's style - not something a child/teen would wear. And wear with an adult shirt with buttons and leather shoes - loafers or drivers work. And nice sunglasses. Nobody will mistake you for a child.

All summer I've been wearing high-rise, pleated (aka. gurkha) shorts with cuffed hems in pure linen in colors like navy and khaki. No logos or words on them. Just great style. (And BTW, these are not the product of 21st century terrible taste...they are modelled after shorts worn by men - soldiers actually - many, many decades ago). These are the ones I prefer:

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/navy---linen---high-rise---shorts---800610-sh-hr02-ss23

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1