Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike1973

A-List Customer
Alan Eardley said:
Mike,

The intact sleeve zip is a very rare early pattern Dot. The main zip is a replacement 1940s Aero - collectors of 1950s British 'bike jackets go mad for those. My appraisal of the jacket (which I have owned for many years) is that is in the 'heavy restoration' category. I've successfully 'done up' worse jackets in my time, usually by combining parts from two or more jackets, but with retirement approaching fast I'm looking to leave all of that behind. I'd restore it, but it's your jacket now and you can do with it as you wish.

Alan

As these jackets become older, more collectable, more expensive, I can only see restoration becoming more difficult, because jackets that were once considered 'donor' or 'parts' jackets are now viewed as worth saving, restoring, preserving...
Well that's my experience from working on an old Splitscreen buses... ones that 15 or so years ago were deemed only good for maybe a few donor parts and total scrap, are now being rescued from the most inaccessable places and restored...
http://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35155

Alan, I love the jacket! I love the patina. It looks like it has given many years faithful service, I guess to several people! My main concern in giving it a thorough restoration, is will it still be the same jacket at the end of it? Or is this just another chapter in it's long life? I guess I am the owner/custodian of it... but I'd like to think there will also be more after me... what am I going to pass on to them? Will the next generation of historians and collectors still want to wear original jackets? It's already being frowned upon... especially as repros keep getting better...
At the moment I'm leaning towards renovating for preservation, rather than daily wear. Well see how it goes... first step I think will be some careful glue to peice together the rips.

Enough waffle anyway. I've posed too many questions and not enought answers. I'll be posting up here with progress and for advice ;)

Luddite

One of the Regulars
I'm not sure of the etiquette on posting auction links, but I've just put my Irvin trousers onto eBay. Had I thought, I would have put them on here first. Sorry all, but for some reason it never even occurred to me!

Please let me know if you would like more pictures or details......

irvin.jpg

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Luddite said:
I'm not sure of the etiquette on posting auction links, but I've just put my Irvin trousers onto eBay. Had I thought, I would have put them on here first. Sorry all, but for some reason it never even occurred to me!

Please let me know if you would like more pictures or details......
I noticed those. Somehow I think I'm not the only one...

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome to the forum. I noticed your Irvin trousers on ebay. They appear to be in very good condition, but a tad too small for me. There is a classified section on the forum where such items are usually advertised. Do you have a price in mind?

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
WW2 Irvin Help Wanted

Whoto chaps,

I am now thinking of a WW2 Irvin.

Can anyone point me towards an informative web site that shows details such as zips, amount of panels etc?

Or any tips before I let go of my hard earned cash?

I want to be sure I know what I am buying.

James.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
James, If you are talking about a repro Eastman leather Clothing make the most authentic repros in the UK. They make a 1940 and a 1942 Irvin. The weakness of all Irvin repros are the zips as no maker has copied accurately either Dot or Lightning Zips. The main zip on the ELC Irvin is a strange combination of a lightning style puller with a Dot style slider box!

You can buy a good original on ebay for around the same price as a high end repro. i.e £450.

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Thanks for your reply Andrew.

I am looking for an original WW2 jacket. I have been picking up bits on information from the lounge about dot zips and panels and the like but thought I should do a bit of research so I am confident about any jacket I may buy.

I have found lots on the A2 on the web but cant seem to find anything like the same amount of info on the Irvin.

P.s. I have just bought what is said to be a WW2 German U boat jacket, I shall post a picture of when I receive it, if any one is interested.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
jamespibworth@n said:
P.s. I have just bought what is said to be a WW2 German U boat jacket, I shall post a picture of when I receive it, if any one is interested.

I'm interested, James! And I'm also interested in your avatar motorcycle, I'm looking for something from the '20s myself at the moment.

(and I think I may well live comparatively 'round the corner' from you....)

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Good Evening local chap,

The jacket has arrived - I shall be posting some pictures soon (will tag them onto the Das Boot thread).

Not a picture of my motorcycle I am afraid. The oldest bike I have at the moment is a 50's AJS, although I am on the lookout for a 30's Norton which I think my new jacket will look good on!

Cheerio,
James

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well it's well and truly Irvin weather here and I've hardly taken my one off for the last month.

Hope other Irvin owners are getting the opportunity to break out theirs and make the most of the colder months.

One of the true joys of winter!

kools

Practically Family
Driving to work this morning it is 5 degrees F & the ground is already covered with snow & ice here. I'm patiently waiting for my WPG to arrive as I join the club.

Marv

A-List Customer
The UK weather is crap at the moment, rain, rain and more rain with temperatures well above average for this time of year......may not get to wear the Irvin this year if it keeps up like this. :(

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Sorry to hear Blighty is too warm and wet Marv. Here's hoping you get some colder weather blowing in from the north.

And Kools, make sure you post some snaps when you get your WPG Irvin. Welcome (nearly) to the joys of Irvin ownership.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
kools said:
Driving to work this morning it is 5 degrees F & the ground is already covered with snow & ice here. I'm patiently waiting for my WPG to arrive as I join the club.

Kools, please put up some pics when you get it, and let's know how it is. The WPG Irvin has been much discussed, and everybody is interested in seeing pics and read about it. And to compare it with originals as well as other replicas.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
It was my luck, that the weather started getting colder just a few days after I got it, so it has been hanging on me every single day (except for one gallanight at the opera) from the day one.
It's breaking in nicely and allready has the "Battle of Britain look".

I am really, really happy with it, and truely glad that I ordered it in the slightly lighter fleece version. Not only is it not as bulky as the normal AL Irvins, but it looks and feels much more like the originals.
It has a way of "faling" around you...like the Irvin in your avatar!

Edit: (not to myself) I shall try to get some resent pics posted one of these days.

kools

Practically Family
Kools, please put up some pics when you get it, and let's know how it is. The WPG Irvin has been much discussed, and everybody is interested in seeing pics and read about it. And to compare it with originals as well as other replicas.

I'm afraid I may not be much help in the "compare to other originals & replicas" department. I certainly know vintage clothing, but leather jackets and especially wartime jackets go beyond what I would consider any area of expertise. I need something to keep me warm & the Irvins sure look good on you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe