Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN NUTS?...the ULTIMATE thread for those who love 'em!

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
I too went up a size (44" jacket normally, my Irvin's a 46") after trying both sizes on at Eastman's stand. As a result, I can wear a thick jumper or well-tailored jacket underneath without problems.

I am starting to think about having an inch taken off the sleeves come the spring, though: with just a shirt underneath they're just that tiny bit too long, and I can see that irritating me over time.

ukali1066

Practically Family
I've just sent payment for a What Price Glory Irvin, a snip at £190 including UK shipping, I'll post a full detailed photo review here when it arrives....the smallest they do is size 40....I hope it won't swamp me

Edward

Bartender
ukali1066 said:
I've just sent payment for a What Price Glory Irvin, a snip at £190 including UK shipping, I'll post a full detailed photo review here when it arrives....the smallest they do is size 40....I hope it won't swamp me

I'd be interested to hear about that.... I'd love to see a back to back comparison between them as the WPGs are sooooo much cheaper. Let us know how you get on with customs too!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Edward, if we organise a less formal London thing I'd be happy to bring my ELC Irvin along for you to take a look at if you think it might be helpful. Of course there's a high chance that I'll just wear the beast anyway....

Another question, gentlemen: trousers. Where can I find a decent repro pair?

Edward

Bartender
That would be great, Doc, thanks. I'm not at the "ready to buy" stage yet, but if the right jacket showed up on eBay.... I can but hope!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Edward, if we organise a less formal London thing I'd be happy to bring my ELC Irvin along for you to take a look at if you think it might be helpful. Of course there's a high chance that I'll just wear the beast anyway....

Another question, gentlemen: trousers. Where can I find a decent repro pair?[/QUOTE]

I think AL and Cirrus are the only ones that offer the trousers. The AL ones look more close to the original Irvin sheepskin trousers than the Cirrus offering.

But you do see originals on certain auction sites where you can sometimes see them for good prices.

irvinsuit

Familiar Face
Doc, the only company known to me that makes Irvin Trousers is Aviation Leathercraft and they are NOT the authentic shape, in fact I think that they look dreadful. I really wish that one of our known Irvin producers would do a run of Irvin Trousers, as the WW2 pairs that I have are really comfortable items to wear. They are also very practical items and just the very thing for a spot of home baking in the kitchen, or for wearing out jogging on a hot summer's day... They are especially good for confusing the hell out of people and dogs who cannot quite believe what you are wearing lol

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
The original Irvin trousers I have seen for sale recently have been cheaper than the reproductions from ALC and Cirrus. Come to thnk of it, off OFAS the same applies to the jackets too...

Alan

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Fair enough, I shall have to keep an eye out. I did ask one of the Eastman chaps about trousers earlier in the year, but was told that they're unlikely to try them because of problems finding the right zips.

Nicely put, Irvinsuit. ;) I do have a practical purpose in mind for them, believe it or not, but I hope to keep canine confusion to a minimum. :p

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Have a squizz half a dozen or so pages back in this thread Doc, somebody here (Blacklagoon?) picked up a pair of originals for a good price and posted some very good photos of them.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
ukali1066 said:

yes please keep us posted b/c im thinking of buying a WPG one too!!!:D
thanks all for the knowledge and input :)

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I sometimes think that manufacturers aren't very enterprising in going out and finding trimmings like zips. Maybe they are looking for large quantities or don't have time to 'scrounge'. NOS Dot open ended zips with a stopper box that are virtually identical to Irvin trouser zips are actually quite common as they were used in Army gear until the 60s. They just have a broad arrow mark rather than an AM and crown mark. The last time I was in a surplus shop in Dudley they had a box in the back of the shop. I bought one to repair a pair of trousers and am keeping another as a spare.

Alan

[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Fair enough, I shall have to keep an eye out. I did ask one of the Eastman chaps about trousers earlier in the year, but was told that they're unlikely to try them because of problems finding the right zips.

Nicely put, Irvinsuit. ;) I do have a practical purpose in mind for them, believe it or not, but I hope to keep canine confusion to a minimum. :p[/QUOTE]

boyorastroboy

Familiar Face
Aero vs. Eastman

I too am interested in hearing about the WPG Irvin, but in the meantime am wondering if anyone can tell me about the seam "taping" color on Aero's Irvin. It seems to be identical to the color of the rest of the jacket, whereas the Eastman jacket seems to have taping that contrasts slightly with the rest of the jacket. Did this color difference vary by manufacturer and period in the originals? I think the Eastmans look dynamite, but with the horrible state of the dollar (no end in sight), the Aero is a lot more plausible for me living in the US. Has anyone had an opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison? Any additional comparisons between the two (or other recommendations) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

edit: Just realized they're both made overseas! Aero's just a tad cheaper here...

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Alan Eardley said:
The last time I was in a surplus shop in Dudley they had a box in the back of the shop. I bought one to repair a pair of trousers and am keeping another as a spare.
That gives me a nefarious idea, Alan. Do you know if the shop does mail order?

I'd rather get a (decent) repro pair than risk damaging originals with harsh treatment, you see. A repro might be expensive to replace if something unfortunate happens, but as far as I'm concerned that's prefereable to spoiling something with historical value.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
The original Irvin trousers I have seen for sale recently have been cheaper than the reproductions from ALC and Cirrus. Come to thnk of it, off OFAS the same applies to the jackets too...

Alan

Alan is right. It is best to buy originals. I own two excellent Irvin trousers, one dated 1939 by Irvin Air Chute and the other by Wareings from 1943. The 1939 trousers cost less than £100 on Ebay and the Wareings came with a late War jacket, and the whole suit cost £330, which was a bargain as the jacket is in very good condition with little wear.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
boyorastroboy said:
I too am interested in hearing about the WPG Irvin, but in the meantime am wondering if anyone can tell me about the seam "taping" color on Aero's Irvin. It seems to be identical to the color of the rest of the jacket, whereas the Eastman jacket seems to have taping that contrasts slightly with the rest of the jacket. Did this color difference vary by manufacturer and period in the originals? I think the Eastmans look dynamite, but with the horrible state of the dollar (no end in sight), the Aero is a lot more plausible for me living in the US. Has anyone had an opportunity to do a side-by-side comparison? Any additional comparisons between the two (or other recommendations) would be appreciated.
Thanks!

edit: Just realized they're both made overseas! Aero's just a tad cheaper here...

I have a pair of mint, unused early Irvin trousers in my hands at the moment. The tape (and the rest of the leatherwork) is a very close match for the sheepskin. I have seen later jackets where the sheepskin is darker and the leather is redder. My father has an Irvin with nearly beige sheepskin and dark leather. My best guess is that due to the restrictions of the time, both in material and the tanning dies, they came out how they came out. Personally I think the contrasting tape looks far better.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Edward, if we organise a less formal London thing I'd be happy to bring my ELC Irvin along for you to take a look at if you think it might be helpful. Of course there's a high chance that I'll just wear the beast anyway....

Another question, gentlemen: trousers. Where can I find a decent repro pair?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a super idear: A less formal meeting of IRVINs:D
When - where???? An airfield somewhere in England?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe