Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRISH forum members

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My maternal grandfather's uncle had been drinking before leaving for the New Country - and fell off the ferry on the way to the big boat. My grandfather is 100% Irish, the Donnelly's, originally the O'Donnelly's I believe. I couldn't point to the region on a map of Ireland unfortunately, although my granpa knows. My grandmother was 75% Irish and 25% Dutch. I have no idea where that leaves me, but my paternal side is German-Dutch, so I would say I'm something like 35% Irish at best.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Hi Guys!

I can claim my Irishness...being born, breed and still living here! I'm from the bog (yes I spent my Summers as a child footing turf) and consequently come from a small town where I get started at often enough. I studied in UCD for four years (and do not use my degree at all) doing Art History and English.

I'd love to hear from anyone currently residing here as I don't know anyone interested in the vintage scene! I'm often in Dublin (will prob end up living there again) and would love to meet anyone and everyone!

H

Maguire

Practically Family
OneAndOnly said:
Hi Guys!

I can claim my Irishness...being born, breed and still living here! I'm from the bog (yes I spent my Summers as a child footing turf) and consequently come from a small town where I get started at often enough. I studied in UCD for four years (and do not use my degree at all) doing Art History and English.

I'd love to hear from anyone currently residing here as I don't know anyone interested in the vintage scene! I'm often in Dublin (will prob end up living there again) and would love to meet anyone and everyone!

H
Its a shame you are posting now, although i wasn't in Leinster when i was over there. i find that the pressure to conform there is worse than in the USA. I love Ireland, don't get me wrong, but for young people to be seen wearing even a button up shirt will make you an oddity. Its a shame. People are actually sloppier there (young people, not really the older crowd) than in NYC and i always thought NYC had the tackiest, worst dressed people on earth.

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
Don't get me started on the sloppiness of the younger crowd...it's quite normal now to see young ones out shopping in pyjama bottoms! I absolutely detest the disregard that these people have for themselves and for others. The funny thing is that most of them, if you ask, have "good" pyjamas for going shopping in...it should be banned!

A friend of mine, I hadn't seen him in years, probably since we left school actually, commented on how well I looked, and that I look like a proper lady!

Irish people are very narrow-minded sometimes, to the extent that you get stared at for wearing a longer than normal dress and having your hair done!

Edward

Bartender
I think it's slowly improving, at least in Belfast.... when I'm over there on occasion, I no longer get people yelling thingson the street when I wear a fedora.... Did have some kids baaaaa at me when out in a B3, but hey... lol

Maguire

Practically Family
OneAndOnly said:
Don't get me started on the sloppiness of the younger crowd...it's quite normal now to see young ones out shopping in pyjama bottoms! I absolutely detest the disregard that these people have for themselves and for others. The funny thing is that most of them, if you ask, have "good" pyjamas for going shopping in...it should be banned!

A friend of mine, I hadn't seen him in years, probably since we left school actually, commented on how well I looked, and that I look like a proper lady!

Irish people are very narrow-minded sometimes, to the extent that you get stared at for wearing a longer than normal dress and having your hair done!
I hear Tesco just banned the pajama thing, but yes, it seems over there people live in pajamas and track suits/sweatpants. Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland but i found that all very disappointing.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Maguire said:
I hear Tesco just banned the pajama thing, but yes, it seems over there people live in pajamas and track suits/sweatpants. Don't get me wrong, I love Ireland but i found that all very disappointing.

I think that is only one Tesco so far - but I really hope it catches on!

mattfink

Practically Family
OneAndOnly said:

Last time I was there some twat wanted to pick a fight with me over wearing an 8-panel cap...must've thought I was a provo or farmer...

vintage68

Practically Family
OneAndOnly said:

I used to work at a local university, and seeing young girls (I refuse to call them women or ladies) attending class in PJ's and slippers was just appalling. For some reason it was only the girls, never the guys wearing pajamas which one might expect.

Maguire

Practically Family
vintage68 said:
I used to work at a local university, and seeing young girls (I refuse to call them women or ladies) attending class in PJ's and slippers was just appalling. For some reason it was only the girls, never the guys wearing pajamas which one might expect.
Over in NYC i see both, but there you can go and see it everywhere, even in Churches. I understand that today its sort of driven into people's heads that men shouldn't care about their appearances or dressing well is "effeminate" etc. While there is overdoing it, granted, this has led to sloppiness as a norm and anything BUT sloppiness is weird or unacceptable. I hate to give NYC its just due but i find this less here than overseas. Its unfortunate that neatness is at such a point where its virtually an eccentricity.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Maguire said:
i always thought NYC had the tackiest, worst dressed people on earth.
NYC runs the gamut from the very best to the very worst, as can be said of most major urban centers.

grundie

One of the Regulars
vintage68 said:

The pyjama thing has become an epidemic here in Dublin. So much so that there are shops that now trade in 'designer' pyjamas.

It's revolting!

OneAndOnly

Familiar Face
grundie said:
The pyjama thing has become an epidemic here in Dublin. So much so that there are shops that now trade in 'designer' pyjamas.

It's revolting!

Thank god "designer" pyjamas haven't reached Kildare yet! I think everyone around here must only shop in Penneys and Dunnes!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, a HEARTY WELCOME and Céad míle fáilte to our Irish Contingent here!

As many of our established members will already know, we have a strong contingent of Irish Members, either still residing on the Island, or have been scattered across the winds to the likes of the UK, the USA and further afield.
SURE...aren't we a rather adventurous and nomadic race of people ;)

May I just say, it's GRAND to have you here, sharing your interests and enthusiasm for the Golden Era, and 'hopefully' when we do have another FL event in Dublin (or Belfast), it will be lovely to meet some of you good folk in the flesh!

So KEEP CHECKING IN..!!:eusa_clap

Regards, PADDY.

reverend

New in Town
Barry

Hello Paddy,
I have recently joined The Fedora Lounge,a would be aficionado of retroism and sartorialism.I live in Belfast which has a very limitted scene,the most is The Speigeltent in October and The Black Box.There is scope for a society or group in Belfast for those of the sybaritic or sartorially minded.
Send me an e -mail .I am at barry.walker230267@hotmail.co.uk

grundie

One of the Regulars
OneAndOnly said:
Thank god "designer" pyjamas haven't reached Kildare yet! I think everyone around here must only shop in Penneys and Dunnes!

There's a shop in Tallaght that has a sign in the window stating:

"Designer pyjamas from just €100"

And there was me me thinking that spending €20 on a pair was being extravagant.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82