Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Inspirations

volatile

A-List Customer
Who do you all rate as your style inspirations?

For me, the one man who really inspired me to push from dabbling with suits into trying to wear them often was this guy, a colleague of mine in the art history department I work at.

n284204031_882781_952.jpg

I can never quite live up to his sartorial excellence, but he's always there, as a beacon somewhere on the horizon. He always looks immaculate. He doesn't need forums like the Lounge; he doesn't need to ask which ties go with which pocket squares; he just knows. Style's in his bones - he started wearing bow-ties aged 14, and has, by his own admission only ever worn jeans on a single occasion in his entire life. He looked so utterly confused when given a departmental mobile phone, because he didn't know which pocket he was "supposed to carry it in".

He even gave me an old suit of his, though alas it was too big. 'twas a tragedy.

volatile said:

He reminds me of one of my law professors -- a fellow bow aficionado, at that. This picture is just so 'Brideshead' to me, which I happen to be crazy about currently. I love it.

The most striking thing about him is the effortlessness that he seems to portray towards dressing. An understated elan.

That's what style is. It's not the clothes so much as the attitude towards them.

He just needs a pocket square.:eusa_doh:

volatile

A-List Customer
CharlestonBows said:
He reminds me of one of my law professors -- a fellow bow aficionado, at that. This picture is just so 'Brideshead' to me, which I happen to be crazy about currently. I love it.

The most striking thing about him is the effortlessness that he seems to portray towards dressing. An understated elan.

That's what style is. It's not the clothes so much as the attitude towards them.

He just needs a pocket square.:eusa_doh:

That's the most infuriating and awe-inspiring thing - he doesn't even try. This is not an affectation or a pretension; it's utterly, utterly effortless. I don't think he even really consciously knows how good he looks.

He does usually sport a pocket square - I wonder what went wrong that morning? I think he may have been hung over!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That guy nails it, don't he?

Inspirations? Marc Chevalier, Tomasso, Hemingway Jones, Charleston Bows, Marty M, Matt Deckard, and all those Ladies of the Lounge who remind us why we try to look presentable.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My modern inspirations are Eddie Nichols and Mando Dorame from Royal Crown Revue; Baron Kurtz,Marc Chevalier, Resortes, Rob (Forgotten Man), Hemingway Jones, Matt Deckard, Paddy, Scotrace, Feraud, Mr Rover, Technonut, and most recently, Enigma 1947, here on the FL; and ffom the past, Bogart and Cagney (probably 'cause I'm only 5'8" myself!), Jimmy Stewart, William Powell, and Clark Gable.

I find inspiration in the costume style depicted in the modern movies Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Bugsy, The Shadow, Seabiscuit, Chinatown and The Two Jakes, and Devil In A Blue Dress.

Observing the posts and photos displayed by the Loungers mentioned above, and watching old and new movies gets me fired up to dress in the best of vintage/classic style.

Marty M.

Vendor
Thank you.

scotrace said:
That guy nails it, don't he?

Inspirations? Marc Chevalier, Tomasso, Hemingway Jones, Charleston Bows, Marty M, Matt Deckard, and all those Ladies of the Lounge who remind us why we try to look presentable.

Thank you Scott. I count myself lucky to have you as a friend.
Marty

Marty M.

Vendor
So, so many.

I have so many inspirational role models. My all time favorite is illustrator Lawrence Fellows.
Marty Mathis

Formal.gif
[/IMG]

kools

Practically Family
I don't believe I personally know somebody who inspires the way I dress. All of my inspirations are found on old album covers.

Technonut

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
My modern inspirations are Eddie Nichols and Mando Dorame from Royal Crown Revue; Baron Kurtz,Marc Chevalier, Resortes, Rob (Forgotten Man), Hemingway Jones, Matt Deckard, Paddy, Scotrace, Feraud, Mr Rover, Technonut, and most recently, Enigma 1947, here on the FL; and ffom the past, Bogart and Cagney (probably 'cause I'm only 5'8" myself!), Jimmy Stewart, William Powell, and Clark Gable.

I find inspiration in the costume style depicted in the modern movies Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Bugsy, The Shadow, Seabiscuit, Chinatown and The Two Jakes, and Devil In A Blue Dress.

Observing the posts and photos displayed by the Loungers mentioned above, and watching old and new movies gets me fired up to dress in the best of vintage/classic style.

Wow Benny... I am honored that you mentioned me in the company of the other stylish Loungers... :eek: Quite a compliment coming from a very well dressed gent such as yourself... Thank you! :)

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Benny Holiday said:

Yes the movies, definately the movies! Most recently, Terrence Howard in Lackawanna Blues . . .
down_out2.jpg

My biggest inspiration

It's difficult to define one above others - there are so many, most who come from the Golden Age of Hollywood, and some mentioned here. But perhaps my biggest is not one who is usually thought of -- someone who flies under the radar of sartorial lists, who perennially favor (and rightfully so) the likes of Grant and Cooper.

My biggest is Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. From when he was a young man, up through his elder years, the man had an unapologetic style and panache that easily made him one of the most well heeled men of the past century. That pesky Duke of Windsor even took the credit for the knot he made so very popular. lol

(sorry for the number of pics, I just couldn't pick one!)

fb2.jpg

fb1.jpg

And yes, that's Chaplin on the far right -- sans 'Tramp' get up. Not too bad, himself!

fb6.jpg

On the far left, in the only light suit, and the only fella in the bunch (which included his sartorially splendid father) that hat a lid, save Chaplin. Some fellas just got it.

fb7.jpg

fb4.jpg

Does it get any cooler?

fb5.jpg

That's the way Hollywood used to be. That's when Hollywood had men, and those men were just cool.

And Mr. Rover, Jerekson, Mr. Mathis. I can't get over these guys' posts -- consistently well done, day after day.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
volatile said:
n284204031_882781_952.jpg

"...he started wearing bow-ties aged 14, and has, by his own admission only ever worn jeans on a single occasion in his entire life. He looked so utterly confused when given a departmental mobile phone, because he didn't know which pocket he was "supposed to carry it in".

What a great look he has, very Giles in Buffy! By all means, let him know about the Lounge!

volatile

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
What a great look he has, very Giles in Buffy! By all means, let him know about the Lounge!

Considering he's almost too anachronistic to even know how to turn a computer on, I don't think he'd cope too well with a forum. He'd also be slightly disdainful as to the frivolity of it all, I fear.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Quote:Benny Holiday

resortes805 said:
Yes the movies, definately the movies! Most recently, Terrence Howard in Lackawanna Blues . . .
down_out2.jpg

Yes! excellent choices.:eusa_clap

Frazier Fan

New in Town
CharlestonBows said:
It's difficult to define one above others - there are so many, most who come from the Golden Age of Hollywood, and some mentioned here. But perhaps my biggest is not one who is usually thought of -- someone who flies under the radar of sartorial lists, who perennially favor (and rightfully so) the likes of Grant and Cooper.

My biggest is Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. From when he was a young man, up through his elder years, the man had an unapologetic style and panache that easily made him one of the most well heeled men of the past century. That pesky Duke of Windsor even took the credit for the knot he made so very popular. lol

(sorry for the number of pics, I just couldn't pick one!)

fb2.jpg

fb1.jpg

And yes, that's Chaplin on the far right -- sans 'Tramp' get up. Not too bad, himself!

fb6.jpg

On the far left, in the only light suit, and the only fella in the bunch (which included his sartorially splendid father) that hat a lid, save Chaplin. Some fellas just got it.

fb7.jpg

fb4.jpg

Does it get any cooler?

fb5.jpg

That's the way Hollywood used to be. That's when Hollywood had men, and those men were just cool.

How far we have fallen! Picture one shows an elegant casual look, without dirty t-shirts, tattered jeans etc. You are right-men were men in those days.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Techno, no need to thank me, you rightly belong in that list. You wear both casualwear and suits with fine aplomb and naturalness (Is that a word?).

Lackawanna Blues, huh? Hmmm, somehow I've missed seeing that one. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Thanks for mentioning it, Resortes!

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
Benny Holiday said:
I find inspiration in the costume style depicted in the modern movies Tucker: The Man and His Dream, Bugsy, The Shadow, Seabiscuit, Chinatown and The Two Jakes, and Devil In A Blue Dress....watching old and new movies gets me fired up to dress in the best of vintage/classic style.

If you haven't checked out how Timothy Hutton dresses as detective Archie Goodwin in the Nero Wolfe television series, you should. It's one of many things that makes the series fun watching. The Archie of the Rex Stout novels is definitely a (self-described) clotheshorse, so I was glad to see that theme picked up on in the series; although the costumer sometimes puts Hutton in gaudier colors than the "real" Archie would probably go for, it doesn't bother me a bit -- he looks smashing.

The first season of The Untouchables with Robert Stack is now available on DVD, and whether you prefer Thirties copper style or gangster style, or like them both, you'll find plenty to tickle your fancy.

If British tweeds are your thing, look no further than All Creatures Great and Small. Robert Hardy as veterinarian Siegfried Farnon and Peter Davison as his ne'er-do-well brother Tristan are the best-dressed siblings in television: Tristan especially notable for his sweaters, Siegfried for his odd vests and pocket squares.

I completely agree with you about the movies you mention, particularly Tucker: The Man and His Dream. I love Preston Tucker's spirit as well as his wardrobe, and hope to emulate both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88