Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg and Bowler Reference

undertaker

Practically Family
Matt Deckard said:
Wore one of my bowlers to work today... Gettin' the craziest looks.
mag01-vi.jpg

Matt,
Glad to see I'm not the only one getting funny looks. What is shocking about the modern man wearing a bowler? Well let them look I'm Going to wear mine anyway!!:p

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here is a Stetson Standard Quality Homburg. Granted it is a bit stiff but I like it and it is a great color.
DSCN3100.jpg

DSCN3102.jpg

DSCN3104.jpg

DSCN3105.jpg

DSCN3106.jpg

Walking on the streets of New York I don't feel strange or out of place wearing this type of hat. The only negative comment I have gotten is I like your hat SIR.

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was very pleased that the color tag was still intact. The hat must not have been worn very much as it is in beautiful shape. I wish I could find more hats in this condition but it is becoming more difficult.

The Duke

One of the Regulars
I actually wear my bowlers to work all the time, one black and the other a vintage grey bowler. People at work always ask where did I get the nice looking hat, and where can they find one. My inspiration for wearing a bowler is of course John Steed (Patrick Macnee) and jazz pianist Willie the Lion Smith
who was known to always known sport a bowler which is my avatar.

Fortino37

Familiar Face
My Christy's

This is me wearing my Christy's bowler, I really like it but had no chance to use it outdoors, I am waiting an special event to use it. Something formal.

PICT0776.jpg

This is my Resistol 10 Homburg one of my favorites.

PICT0772.jpg

I like the bowler look, but feel much comfortable with an Homburg or a Fedora.

Fortino37

undertaker

Practically Family
New Homburg

Gentlemen,

I just purchased a homburg that is marked on the inside Stetson Royale Deluxe St. Regis. I got it on e-bay for $68.50. It appears to be in good condition. Is this what I would Normaly expect to pay for this hat or one comparable? I only own one vintage hat( a boater), my others are newer, and my wife sayes I paid far to much for it. Please Let me know what you think.
( I gave up on the links or I would have included a picture)
Regards,
JS

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
It works! Thanks.

Generally, homburgs go for less (and sometimes far less) on eBay than do fedoras of similar age and quality. Your homburg is an older one (from the '40s, I reckon) and it's a good size (medium large). I think that if you paid, say, $5 or $10 more for it, then you would have overpaid. In other words, you paid the upper limit of "reasonable". As it is, you got a fine hat!

undertaker

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
It works! Thanks.

Generally, homburgs go for less (and sometimes far less) on eBay than do fedoras of similar age and quality. Your homburg is an older one (from the '40s, I reckon) and it's a good size (medium large). I think that if you paid, say, $5 or $10 more for it, then you would have overpaid. In other words, you paid the upper limit of "reasonable". As it is, you got a fine hat!

Thank you for the info. I was wondering about the age. I am pleeased to know that it might be that old. I will also pass this along to my wife and maybe she will be more comfortable with the price, after all it is a Stetson.

Regards,
JS

undertaker said:

Expect to pay far more than that for a new one (Stetson) that will most assuredly not give you the kind of service or be of the same level of quality. Go check it out and see. Take your wife with you so she can be shocked too. :p
It is a great St. Regis homburg. Wear it in good health. :eusa_clap

Regards,

J

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
I have a Nice collection of Derby's I've worn over the years...all Nice roll brims early century. They can be worn casual or Formal making them easy and fun to wear and to Not look like an everyday joe...

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
A bit of thread necromancy...

But I thought I would share a couple family photos.

Family_Album020.jpg

My great-grandfather and his father. Probably shortly after coming over from Wales.
By the way, the seated man looks a lot like my father, moustache and all.

Family_Album023.jpg

My great-grandfather and his wife - on their wedding day, I think.

If I ever get around to taking up Cowboy Action Shooting as a hobby, I'm going to wear either a bowler, a skimmer, or a campaign hat exclusively.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82