Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highest price paid, lowest price paid for your fedora.

dog20

Familiar Face
How much is your most expensive hat?

I was shocked when I saw the price of this one:

hat.jpg

Luckily for me they have some inexpensive hats too:

hat2-1.jpg

hat2.jpg

:D

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Most I've ever spent was 80-some on a '40s borsalino, second most was 70-some on a '50s stetson 7x clear beaver. The prices were justified, as they're the two nicest hats I own, in my opinion, and are the two I took to school with me.

Belegnole

One of the Regulars
As of right now my most expensive was free....Soon it will be whatever the Federation IV is going for when I finally pull the trigger.

woops it just changed $141.34 pulled the trigger on the Deluxe

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
$150 ish for a new Stetson Temple. That was somethin' of a mistake. Soon after, I caught wise and started getting vintage hats. $107 for my Disney Twenty is the most I've spent on oldies. I don't regret that purchase at all. Most of my hats were in the $30 range.

The Disney:

DSC_0020.jpg

30e5_1.jpg

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I think Brent Blacks' site has either a $10,000 or $20,000 panama...The there are also $1000 Resistol and Stetson cowboy hats...[huh]...
I think the most I spent has bent $120 on an Akubra from David Morgan...I love the hat...

moustache

Practically Family
I own 5 vintage Borsalinos and the most I have paid was $75.Granted,that was years ago.They are getting tough to find in good condition.Mine are almost mint.

Jim

Ande1964

Practically Family
My custom Art was my most expensive, and worth every penny.

The most I've paid for vintage was $140, for my mint Whippet from 1950. Also very much worth it.

And, I've spent similar amounts for johnnyphi hats, and have been thrilled to do so.

As Art once said, the great vintage hats are true treasures, and are well worth what we usually pay. I think the same can be said for a well made custom.

Anj

GWD

One Too Many
I paid $150.00 for a Whippet then ruined the sweat band and hat to send it to Optimo for a Block and Clean and new sweat which was another $100.00 plus shipping so about $270.00 for the Whippet.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The most for a vintage was this Stetson Sovereign I just got a few weeks ago for $124. Worth every penny.
IMG20071102_20081007_0001_1.jpg

The most for a new one was my Optimo's which I bought over 5 years ago and were a whopping $350 each. The same hat now is $550.
scan00012.jpg

Wth out question the best deal on a custom fedora today is one from Art.

I might also add that the highest quality hat I paid the least for was this vintage Borsalino in mint condition I found at Goodwill for $4.45.
IMG_0100.jpg

fedoralover

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
The most I've spent on a hat was my custom from Art. The next up would be the $130 I spent on an Adam from Johnnyphi. Both the custom and my Adam are now two of my most treasured fedoras, and have spoiled me for anything less quality wise. You just can't beat the care and love that went into a vintage hat, or into one of Art's customs.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Outside of custom hats from Art Fawcett, $225.00 for a pristine 7 5/8 Whippet a couple of years ago.

(Thanks, Tinman, for helping me keep that number where it is. :) )

jpbales

Practically Family
oorah

TopGumby said:
$67 for an Akubra, and I haven't even seen it yet!

I've got a "USMC Retired" ballcap that cost me 27 years...:)

a very expensive hat! You deserve more than that though.:eusa_clap

$125 plus shipping for an Akubra thru David Morgan nearly 2 years back. My Stetson Souvreign was around $110 in the early 90's. Everything else was much less.

Although, when things improve I'll need to talk to Art Fawcett and then we'll set a new personal record.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have to join the list of Art Fawcett owners; they are my most expensive lids, but also the ones I "feel" the least. If I rule out custom hats, I think I paid close to $200 for one of Johnnyphi's, but I could be wrong. Either way, the most I've paid for a non-custom hat was on one from Johnny. No regrets. :D

fedoralover said:
Wth out question the best deal on a custom fedora today is one from Art.

No doubt about it. And if you don't believe it, shop around. It's not that other custom hatters don't turn out comparable quality, and many of them are certainly deserving of your patronage. But for the money there's really no beating Vintage Silhouettes. Art has set a standard for quality and service in this small but growing industry, and all concerned -- customers and hat-makers alike -- are fortunate to have him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe