Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi from a new female member

Barb

One of the Regulars
French,

I'm in the same state as Aarons (NH). They were EXTREMELY nice on the phone and I suspect that if I drive up there, they will be even nicer. I'll get one of my friends to come with me for sure (the lure of outlet shopping will yield lots of candidates for "fashion adviser" since North Conway is the holy grail for outlet shoppers).

The Akubras just popped off the pages when I was scrolling through various pages. My instincts are usually pretty good on hats.

Barb

French said:
Hi Barb,

I'm not sure where you are in New England, but there is also Del Monico Hatter in New Haven, CT (http://www.delmonicohatter.com) The staff is very helpful, showing you the full range of what they have, explaining why one hat may cost $185 and another costs $42. What I found best about them is they were honest about what looked good on me. I picked up a $100+ hat and tried it on, and they politely told me it didn't suit my features. I'd much rather hear that before I paid my money than by the first person who saw me once I walked out the door.

Anyway, good luck with your quest. I'm also looking at an Akubra, but am still collecting funds for it.

French

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
Wow, thanks for this info. I just sent them an email through the contact us link asking about a custom CEO and also asking the height of the brim on the Epson. The Cornwell is not an open crown, so it is less appealing.

Barb

The CEO isn't an open crown either, it's preshaped. And I seem to recall somebody who had one mentioning that it's pretty stiff, and that you couldn't snap up the back of the brim or change the bash easily, you'd have to steam the hat to reshape it. (There are apparently variations in stiffness in preshaped Akubras: for example, of my two country hats, the Cattleman has a little bit of give to it, but the Stockman is stiff like a cowboy hat.)

BTW, I've long had my eye on the CEO in the gray color - it's a very sharp looking lid! - but I don't really need another gray hat...

Barb

One of the Regulars
Ah, now I'm rethinking ordering sight unseen

I can't remember who told me it was open crown. Sounds like I need to look at it and try it on. Maybe I should consider a different model. THANK YOU for the insight.

(Still, even pre-shaped, it looks like just the style I like..)

Doctor Strange said:
The CEO isn't an open crown either, it's preshaped. And I seem to recall somebody who had one mentioning that it's pretty stiff, and that you couldn't snap up the back of the brim or change the bash easily, you'd have to steam the hat to reshape it. (There are apparently variations in stiffness in preshaped Akubras: for example, of my two country hats, the Cattleman has a little bit of give to it, but the Stockman is stiff like a cowboy hat.)

BTW, I've long had my eye on the CEO in the gray color - it's a very sharp looking lid! - but I don't really need another gray hat...

duggap

Banned
Barb, don't let open crown throw you a curve. They are easy to bash and if worse comes to worse just do a karate chop on the top and squeeze the front sides and you are finished. There are some threads here on bashing hats.:)

Barb

One of the Regulars
But I *want* an open crown

:) - Apparently the CEO is not open crown. But still, I think it would look ok. I'm not afraid of bashing..

duggap said:
Barb, don't let open crown throw you a curve. They are easy to bash and if worse comes to worse just do a karate chop on the top and squeeze the front sides and you are finished. There are some threads here on bashing hats.:)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Barb,

First, let me say "Welcome!"
Second, let me say "I love a woman in a fedora!"

Now to business. I think the CEO would look good on you, but if you prefer open crown, Akubra has two great options you'll probably love. The Squatter and the Federation. The Federation has a taller crown than the Squatter, while the Squatter has a wider brim with the brim binding like the CEO. Both fit the basic description of what you're looking for in your first post.

As for a red hat, if Akubra doesn't work out, call this guy; http://www.thefedorastore.com/
He's a member here, and has a design-a-hat thing. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm sure a phone call would clear it up easily.

Nice to have another woman in the hat section!

NB

Barb

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the welcoming words. I was looking at a couple of sites including the fedorastore that offered customizations of everything from brim to crown. I was looking at the Squatter on David Morgan's site too. The Federation doesn't seem to be available in the US (?) so I'd have to order it from one of the ship direct sources. Exchanging could be a little difficult if I went the ship direct route. So with my inexperience/newbie-ness, I'll take baby steps.

I tried on some fedoras (poorly made) at Burlington Coat Factory to insure that I'd measured my size correctly for a men's hat. 7 1/2 looks great. (My Tilley's are 7 1/2 too but being fabric, I wanted to be sure). I know the high crowns look better on me than the low ones and for sure the wider brims...

Does anyone in the US sell the Federation?

Barb

Not-Bogart13 said:
Barb,

First, let me say "Welcome!"
Second, let me say "I love a woman in a fedora!"

Now to business. I think the CEO would look good on you, but if you prefer open crown, Akubra has two great options you'll probably love. The Squatter and the Federation. The Federation has a taller crown than the Squatter, while the Squatter has a wider brim with the brim binding like the CEO. Both fit the basic description of what you're looking for in your first post.

As for a red hat, if Akubra doesn't work out, call this guy; http://www.thefedorastore.com/
He's a member here, and has a design-a-hat thing. I don't know exactly how it works, but I'm sure a phone call would clear it up easily.

Nice to have another woman in the hat section!

NB

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Barb do not go by the sizing in cheaper hats. Measure your head in inches and go by that. As far as ordering a federation from overseas it is easy! I ordered mine from hatsdirect in australia and got it within a week! Just go on their website and if you find something you like email them your size in inches and they will help you get the exact size you need. I got a black regular federation from them and I know Fatwoul has a federation deluxe from them.

Barb

One of the Regulars
Nice looking hat, I like it better than the Squatter

I'm now interested. Can you post a picture or link to you wearing this one? I'd like to see it on someone's head!

Doctor Strange said:
Barb, the Federation is ONLY available from HatsDirect in Australia - Akubra only makes this particular Indy-esque style for them.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi/products.cgi?group=Fedora+Hats

I've got one, and it's a really nice hat... but I'm still intrigued by the CEO!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I don't have a good one on hand. There are tons of pictures of Federations here (and a zillion more over at Club Obi-Wan). For a start, look at Jerekson's thread from a day or two ago, a little farther down in the Hats forum.

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
I'm now interested. Can you post a picture or link to you wearing this one? I'd like to see it on someone's head!
I have a black one that is bashed diamond style so you an do other styles with it other than indy and it will look good!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
Akubra federation in black.
Johnny018.jpg

Barb

One of the Regulars
Probably I'd want a "softer" look or modded Indy

I guess the really neat thing about Open Crown is that you can tweak and experiment. I know that the style for the CEO molded will look good on me as it is similar to the hats I have (like the blue one in my avatar). But I do like the Indy styles I've seen.

indycop said:
I have a black one that is bashed diamond style so you an do other styles with it other than indy and it will look good!

Barb

One of the Regulars
That look gorgeous

Nice. How long did it take you to get "the look" you wanted?

I was just over on the Obi-Wan forum looking at pictures. (Now that is a real strange name for something Indy related).

Barb

indycop said:
Akubra federation in black.

Wolfmanjack

Practically Family
I guess I'm just old fashioned

But, around here, most of us are.

I think Ingrid Bergman looks absolutely fantastic in this scene toward the end of Casablanca; from the rakish angle of her hat, to that perfect wool twill suit, to those pristine spectator pumps.

ROUNDUP.JPG

If I were a woman, that's how I would dress. She looks like a million bucks!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Barb said:
Nice. How long did it take you to get "the look" you wanted?

I was just over on the Obi-Wan forum looking at pictures. (Now that is a real strange name for something Indy related).

Barb
Just took a few minutes. I had indy style for a week or so , and then changed it to a diamond.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally