Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HI again...Considering a Borsalino BEAVER...

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Wow Matt , those are strong words about Borsalino . Now we all know that they are having problems with their quality but they are better than Dorfmans wool garbage. I think that they are having the same problems that the other manufacturers are having - getting decent fur . It's a big problem because all the decent fur is being grabbed up by the western guys and the clothing manufacturers . Whats left over isn't that great . And believe me when I tell you , Borsalino knows that they are having problems with their hats . Their sales aren't what they used to be.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

squid

One of the Regulars
Matt Deckard said:
To answer that question... No, no and no!

comparing Borsalino's fur felt to what Dorfman Pacific makes in wool is what I can easily do. Their modern hats are of what I and friends have worn, the lowest end around when it comes to quality. They are rock bottom in quality. The new Beaver hat they sell looks promising, though anything else I have seen turns to mush in the rain and droops even without the rain. Quite frankly you'd do better if you bought a hat made of paper.

During the three years I spent in Italy I looked at more than one new Borsalino. There were unlined wool ones that could almost be mistaken for a costume piece. The one I bought is the nicest mass produced hats that I have seen in person. Now I don't go around looking for expensive factory made hats, but I would have to say Borsalino is making some of the better hats today. They are also making some cheap junk for people who want the name without paying for a nice hat.

czack

One of the Regulars
Isn't it all about the price?

Comparing modern Borsalinos and wool Dorfman Pacifics. A wool DP is about 30-50 bucks as compared to the 180-400 I've seen for Borsalinos. Now I thought the issue was the high price for trash, a cheap price for a cheap hat is actually pretty reasonable.

Fedora

Vendor
It's a big problem because all the decent fur is being grabbed up by the western guys and the clothing manufacturers

And that is one of the reasons I buy dress bodies from primarily a western felt maker. Their dress market is rather small, but at least I get the same beaver they use in their western bodies. The beaver fur they use is trapped in Canada, sent to Europe for processing, and then shipped directly to the factory. And this is the reason most western hatters use this company. They produce a good felt body, and I hope one day will expand the dress line to include lighter weight bodies as well as offering blends in the dress line. :eek:fftopic: Yeah, but I had to make a comment. Fedora

MattC

A-List Customer
A moderate view

I am mostly a vintage hat guy, but I have a few modern Borsalinos, and I have to say, they are not bad at all. Yes, they are soft and floppy, but in my experience, they don't lose their shape. And while some Borsalino vintage hats are stiffer, in general I think their hats have always been on the soft side. Soft and floppy doesn't necessarily mean shapeless.

The details on some of the modern Borsalinos are quite nice--I have a modern hat with a hand sewen liner, and a leather sweat so pliable (and speciallly stitched) that the hat can be rolled.

I agree as well that some of their modern hats are junk. It would be good if we could help people who do want to get a modern hat to distinguish. For example, I think the Traveler is a good hat. I've taken it around the world in a backpack. It always gets its shape back, it handles rain with no problem.

That said, for the price you pay for a Beaver Borsalino, you really can do much better with a custom hat from Art or Optimo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally