Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hey - wanna have a laugh...? key words "Polo" & "A2"

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I just left the Waldorf 1940s Mens' Hair Saloon this afternoon after getting a late forties pomp. The barber looks after all the Rockabillies in this town and she is really good.

As I was strolling back to my car I popped into Brown Thomas which is the most upmarket retailer in this country. I look around sometimes but there is really nothing that I can ever buy that suits me. I mean it's all crap, "fluff", distressed this and designer-ey that.

Well this one takes the biscuit!

Just inside the door to the left is the Polo section and my eye was led to this A2. I tried this one to get some pics to give you jacket-knowledgeable people a good chuckle.

Let me present my case, y'onor....*

*before I do let me say that the FL has enabled me more the ever to examine garments for their worth

Exhibit A:

Complete with bu*ls*it patch and nametag reading "bleeker"

IMG00022.jpg

Exhibit B:

IMG00024.jpg

Higher armhole than an ordinary leather jacket but a stretchy elasticky plasticky feel to the sleeve.

Exhibit C:

Fake artwork, viz:

IMG00023.jpg

Exhibit D:

What??

IMG00025.jpg

BTW, here's google on that figure:

1 095 Euros = 1 477.812 U.S. dollars

Ehh... yeah... you read right, that's fifteen hundred dollars, for this cr*p.

Exhibit addendum (i):

"Made in China"

Oookaaayyyy.... :rolleyes:

Exhibit addendum (ii):

"Cowhide"

Ehhhhh.... :rolleyes:

Exhibit addendum (iii):

"Sales asst. whose first language is not English and who is telling me that it is already vintage because of the worn in look"

Mmmm, yeah-hahaw.. :rolleyes:

Please..., go figure.

I give up!

:rage:

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
By way of contrast, may I present -

All I know is that Aero have sent me a dispatch email confirming that this baby is on its merry little way over to me....

98196627.jpg

98196621.jpg

Need I say more, honestly...?

[huh] [exasperated]

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Carter - I'm having a Bud Light by way of a "pint" to console myself.

Really though, fifteen hundred dollars. I'm in shock.

Incidentally the haircut was a really good 'un.

Zero blade at the edges up an inch. A "whitewall" I think it has been referred to.... Looks great with the full "pomp" at the top!

:p

Great to here from a Texas poster - as the postcard caption reads - "I wish I was there"!!!

On that jacket, ummm, OUCH. Seriously, even though I'm no A2 expert, the BS klaxons reverb'ing off the back of my skull are giving me a migraine...

1500 dollars? 1500 pennies, maybe 1500 dimes tops, as far as what I'd offer for it... Heck, my Sears A2 with its 3-piece back looks better IMO...

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
This is PRL at the worst.

I mean the jacket felt like plastic....

I am soooo gunna be able to justify buying my Aero A2* by comparing it to this muck!

*to the missus!! lol lol lol lol

You can tell there's some commentary in there, too. The blue field on the US flag always goes forward--either Ralph Lauren didn't do their homework or it's political...

My goodness, if they're gonna charge that kinda price, they could stand to at least try to get the major stuff like that right... (I'll even overlook some minor stuff, for purposes of this discussion, even though I am a detail-freak.)

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I think he means the field of blue would be towards the front of the body, not to the back. the mirror wouldn't reverse that.

Feraud

Bartender
Diamondback said:
The idea is that the flag is always shown in an "advancing" position, as if the wearer's body were a flagpole and the flag flying from it.
I believe that is correct. It is the advancing flag style.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Diamondback said:
My goodness, if they're gonna charge that kinda price, they could stand to at least try to get the major stuff like that right... (I'll even overlook some minor stuff, for purposes of this discussion, even though I am a detail-freak.)

What a joke!

There was a stitched up "rip" in the exact same location in every jacket - the right sleeve. Some idiot rich-kid in Dublin is gunna buy that jacket - there were two of them instore. What a waste of money.

Straw pole - did it cost PLR to make this jacket in China:

(1) < $100
(2) $100 - $300
(3) $300 - €600

Duh, I vote for (1).

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
RRL on Bleecker Street in Manhattan has a russet Cable Raincoat A-2 size 40 for sale, $1,200. Not outrageous for a real one and it's in superb condition. Tried it on last week.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice reporting, Mr. 'H'. At first I thought 'how sad'. But, PRL doens't really need my pity.Next picture I got a little mad. Then when I saw the price tag, I was steamed!
I'm always interested in news of Polo as a former fiance boasted that his parents sewed for them in New York City and I like to keep up with the gossip.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
I'm always interested in news of Polo as a former fiance boasted that his parents sewed for them in New York City and I like to keep up with the gossip.

Uhhhhmmmm....

Not to put to fine a point on it...

...the gossip is...

..."Made in China"...

Ahem, but, how does your ex-inlaw family like them [sewing] apples??????

:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

Can anybody on the Lounge justify this MADNESS?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken