Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help needed in VB

AirborneSally

New in Town
Hey ladys! I just moved to Virginia Beach and I was hoping to find some people in my area that could help me out! I cant get the 40's hair style no matter HOW hard i try! and I have a hard time finding vintage or vintage looking clothes! I dont have the money to buy from places like stop staring but I cant really tell what looks vintage hen I'm out shopping at regular stores! well I hope to find help! later girls!

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Hi, I'm in the Uk so can't help! (unless you want a UK visitor!)
But there are some great threads on here and the beauty room about pin curling and rolling your hair!
By the way-love the pics on your website-did make me laugh, reminds me of our guys who do 508th!
K

anabolina

A-List Customer
That's a major reason why I started sewing. It's taken awhile, but I've gone from not sewing since I was 8 to sewing whenever I get a free moment. It's really satisfying to wear something you make. Anyway, you can also troll Walmart and Target for separates that make fit the forties. I think walmart had some sailor pants and nice blouses the last time I was there.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
One of the first things I did when I moved was filled up my car with gas, grabbed my purse and started driving around looking for thrift shops, vintage stores, boutiques and whatnot. Mind you I was driving around a fairly small town (not Dallas where I live now) Its a good way to find places to shop and eat and will help you get to know the lay of the land. Also try citysearch, type in vintage clothing and you might be surprised! Another thing you can do is look for a local craft group (if you're into that sort of thing) or maybe even take sewing lessons at the local community college (if they offer them) and start making your own clothes.

Barry

Practically Family
I grew up in the area and I still have family down there. I think the Act II stores are still open but you should call ahead. Also, I'm almost positive they will have more contemporary and modern clothing - but you never know!

Here's some information from Hampton Roads magazine:

Act II, 10253 Warwick Blvd., Newport News, 595-0507
816-A W. 21st St., Norfolk, 622-1533

Consignment City, 1920 Centerville Tpke. Ste. 114, Virginia Beach, 479-9263; 4805 Shore Dr., Virginia Beach, 363-7176

2nd Time Around, 3772 Virginia Beach Blvd., Virginia Beach, 498-3927

Children’s Hospital of the King’s Daughters Thrift Shop

PA Dancer

A-List Customer
If you don't have any luck at the thrift shops and you need to find some new clothes that look old and don't want to spend a lot...try stores like Ross's, Marshalls, TJ Maxx. I have had a lot of luck in a store called B Moss.

You might have one in the Mall near you. I know they only range a few states and locations on the east coast. Expensive...but the clearance racks are out of this world! I just spent a little too much there this past month.

I can tell you for a quick 40's fix...skirt hems around the knee area, bigger shoulders, belted dresses, hat is a must, shoes with a strap, curls in the hair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley