Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me identify this doohickey?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Not sure if this is the right forum for this... bartenders, feel free to move this thread to whichever forum is the most appropriate!

I stayed in a hideous Super 8 Motel in East Hartford, CT this weekend for a hot rod show. Now, the place was awful, but they had tried really hard to jazz it up with random old stuff. There was a display case full of random old objects, and I'd never seen anything like this. I have no idea what it is or would have been used for. Can anyone help me out?

unknown-doohickey.jpg

RIOT

Practically Family
A 1920's telex machine

Edit. - After close observation, it does have some kind of stamping handle at the top, if I could retract, I would say it is some kind of engraving tool.

Starius

Practically Family
I'm not discounting the possibility that this device is somehow used in time travel, but it seems to me its way more H.G. Wells than it is Doc Brown.

;)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cobden said:
It looks like an early sort of Dyno-tape machine to me
That was my first impression also. It appears to have a slot which some kind of tape runs through. But the 3 digit numbers on the visible dial all seem to end in 9s. 109, 119, 129, etc.
Maybe it's some sort of mechanical calculator with a tape print out? A bomb sight?? [huh] I dunno,....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley