Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daisy Buchanan said:
My fine point Waterman Phileas Fountain pen disappeared a few weeks ago and after waiting for 2 weeks for it to magically appear, I gave up hope and went in search for a new one. Anyway, some of you may know that the fine point is not easy to find anymore....

You can still find them at Office Depot - here's a link

I'm beginning to think Waterman may be discontinuing the Phileas line - they ARE getting hard to find and my usual sources don't list them. I've emailed all to ask if that line's being phased out or what. But Waterman does still have several other lines and some in the $30 range. I'll let you know what I hear back.

On Picking a Fountain Pen

Hi All!

Been away too long. (Work, Work, Work)

The first question I would ask is: do you want a new modern pen OR a vintage pen to recreate the details of a specific period?

In New and current pens for the budget minded I would suggest A LAMY Safari or the Safari All Star. Made in Germany About $30-35 Samolians. This is a work horse pen and will fend off dropping throwing stepping on and other attempts at injury. It comes in Clear plastic whixch is known as a demonstrator in the Pen Biz. The All stars come in a variety of Metal finishes.
It is a light weight penfor those that enjoy that. This comes with a choice of Fine Medium or Broad nibs. The custome nib guys can grind the nib for a stub or italic and often stock them already done. It usually comes with a converter for bottle use or you may have to buy seprately. LAMY blue ink is a great blue and their bottle has a built in roll of "pen Wiper" to get the excess ink off the nib after filling. Writes every time, I have 2! One Broad for Letter addressing and bold signatures.

PILOT / NAMIKI has a classic looking pen called the Knight. Its an all metal pen with heft and only comes in medium BUT being Japanese it is clser to a FIne point. This is a comfy writer smooth like buttah! It has a bulb type converter filler for using bottled inks and can take a cartridge. About $45 big ones.

Too much $$$ then check on line for Pilot VARSITY pens, it is a great writing DISPOSABLE fountain pen. Good to try out the whole Fountain pen Aura.

VINTAGE as posted my previous list stands. With Esterbrooks getting the nod as most ordinary & every day pen. You should find oldies around for $10 -$15 and figure anoth $25 to refurbish to working. Otherwise you can find them refurbished for $25 to $35. The cool thing is their nibs are replaceable and came in about 30 different styles. Some shops still have them but for the really cool italics and stubs check out EBAY and be prepared to spend a little. It aint bad to have several different style nibs, then your one Esterbrook can be several different pens!

Best wishes in your selection and Happy Writing.

ALSO remember that from the earliest time of writing, a hand written note or letter remains some of our most cherished keepsakes, so write sombody today!
:eusa_clap

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Lost my Phileas, however...

Well gang after that whole mess with filling the converter and getting a bunch of ink on me...what should happen? I LOST MY PHILEAS in a cab. I was sooo heartbroken as I was rather fond of it. So I marched my happy butt over to Flax in SF and replaced it. As Magneto can verify, I also decided to not only replace that pen...but I got a Schaeffer, a fine nib Waterman Phileas and two Schaeffer cheapies. And to ensure that I don't lose my pens...I got a leather carrying case that PERFECTLY fits in my pocket.

For lack of a better term...and particularly a Californian one...I'm 'stoaked'.

Jon

Daisy Buchanan

FedoraGent said:
Well gang after that whole mess with filling the converter and getting a bunch of ink on me...what should happen? I LOST MY PHILEAS in a cab. I was sooo heartbroken as I was rather fond of it. So I marched my happy butt over to Flax in SF and replaced it. As Magneto can verify, I also decided to not only replace that pen...but I got a Schaeffer, a fine nib Waterman Phileas and two Schaeffer cheapies. And to ensure that I don't lose my pens...I got a leather carrying case that PERFECTLY fits in my pocket.

For lack of a better term...and particularly a Californian one...I'm 'stoaked'.

Jon
Jon, Those are great purchases. I'm glad to hear that you were so easily able to find a fine nib Phileas. As I've stated before, I'm very fond of this pen, and so sad that I lost mine, so I know how you feel about losing yours. I'm hoping that my two new ones come in the mail soon. I miss signing my name with such a beautiful writing instrument.

Daisy Buchanan

Mike in Seattle said:
You can still find them at Office Depot - here's a link

I'm beginning to think Waterman may be discontinuing the Phileas line - they ARE getting hard to find and my usual sources don't list them. I've emailed all to ask if that line's being phased out or what. But Waterman does still have several other lines and some in the $30 range. I'll let you know what I hear back.
THank You, Thank You, Thank You. I haven't received an order confirmation from the store I ordered mine from. I just have that bad feeling, since they no longer say they have them on their site, that mine won't be coming. I'm gonna order another from Office Depot just in case the other in fact don't arrive. I have seen them at other places, but for much higher prices than Office Depot and the store I ordered them from. I just might have to grab one where I can, and deal with the higher prices. I'm gonna get my dad one as part of his birthday gift. Every gent needs a nice pen. Thanks again for the link.

Daisy Buchanan

Zach R. said:
That is a beautiful pen. It's also a good price. I've never used one, and I know looks aren't always everything, but it certainly looks nice, and sounds good in the description. Thanks for the link, just what I need, another pen! Hey FedoraGent, I hear you're in the market for a new pen too :D !

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
After reading this thread and also after I had the chance to try FedoraGent's pen (sorry to hear that you lost it!:( ) I ordered my own "Phileas". PENWA.COM has them for $32. Mine should arrive-I hope-by next weekend. I saw an Easterbrook for $25 today at an antique store but I didn't pick it up as I just ordered the Waterman. Perhaps I'll go back and get it as it was a nice looking 30s one.

Daisy Buchanan

Sefton said:
After reading this thread and also after I had the chance to try FedoraGent's pen (sorry to hear that you lost it!:( ) I ordered my own "Phileas". PENWA.COM has them for $32. Mine should arrive-I hope-by next weekend. I saw an Easterbrook for $25 today at an antique store but I didn't pick it up as I just ordered the Waterman. Perhaps I'll go back and get it as it was a nice looking 30s one.
Wow, that's a great price.
I just found out that the place I ordered mine from raised the price from $32 less 10% to $40 less 10%.
They do still have the fine nib in all colors, you just need to click on the "more Waterman" link, and they come up. The fine nib fountain pen is on the second page after that link. I did see that they charged my card at the price of $28.80 per pen, so I'm glad that I got them at that price, that is if I ever get them. However they did charge me for them finally yesterday, so I'm hoping they will come soon.

Mike in Seattle

I heard back from 2 suppliers and they said the Phileas line is still alive & well & in production. I believe it was coloradopen.com that said they have loads of fine nib in stock, so if anything falls through with Office Depot, there's another source. I'm sure Pendemonium, WorldLux and other online pen suppliers have them in stock or can easily get them as well.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Zach R. said:

Looks simple and stylish. I've handled similar pens before and wasn't personally taken with them, but I think that's largely because I prefer the feel of a celluliod, old plastic, or hard rubber pen in my hands. The nib looks like it may be a generic nib used by many pens in that price pen, but I have a "cheap nib pen" which writes beautifully! It looks like a pretty good pen for the price.

With all the talk of the Phileas, I may have to try one out in person. I've seen them in stores, but haven't been drawn strongly to them yet.(Must be the vintage pens which hold my bias.;) ) Still, with all the good speak about them, I feel it may be worth another look.

Ink Removal

AMODEX will get out ink from clothes or off skin.

The home remody is the dry powder form of the dishwasher detergent: ELECTROSOL. You make a paste with water and applly to fabric or was hand & use a brush too.

AMODEX has a competitor but the name eludes me! :eusa_doh:

Here is where having a real pen shop nearby has its advantages. You peruse the racks and can ask questions.

Sincerely,

Daisy Buchanan

Mike in Seattle said:
I heard back from 2 suppliers and they said the Phileas line is still alive & well & in production. I believe it was coloradopen.com that said they have loads of fine nib in stock, so if anything falls through with Office Depot, there's another source. I'm sure Pendemonium, WorldLux and other online pen suppliers have them in stock or can easily get them as well.
Thanks again Mike! Actually, over the last few day's I've been searching the internet for the fine nib and having no problem finding them. They must have been having some sort of problem a few months back when I went to order one, for I couldn't find one anywhere. The place I bought mine from raised their prices by $8 since I ordered mine last Wednesday. That is annoying. But, it still is a lower priced great pen, and I got the 2 for a steal.

Montblanc versus Pelikan

Montblanc is hyped too much, which raises the price. Their acrylic bodies (precious resin) is now prone to cracking if dropped, unlike their older pens. Their nib selection is excellent, and good service always.

PELIKAN pens are as well made but better as they are much less likely to crack if dropped. They are also priced to be a better value. Pelikan has as many or more different style nibs. Montblanc are never discounted whereas Pelikan are available with some significant discounts and go on sale.

World Lux is a good source and Levenger has some Pelikans on sale right now.

Montblac makes more varied styles but Pelikan is just as classic and is making more varied limited edtions these days.

In Europe they say if choising between Montblac and Pelikan:"Buy the Pelikan and with the Money you save you can take your friends out to dinner!"

In the end the choice is yours, I know I will get a MB 149 some day but I already own 7 Pelikans, so you can tell where I stand.;)

Sincerely,

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
John in Covina said:
AMODEX will get out ink from clothes or off skin.

The home remody is the dry powder form of the dishwasher detergent: ELECTROSOL. You make a paste with water and applly to fabric or was hand & use a brush too.

AMODEX has a competitor but the name eludes me! :eusa_doh:

Here is where having a real pen shop nearby has its advantages. You peruse the racks and can ask questions.

Sincerely,

What if it's Noodler's? Any luck?

Noodler's ETERNAL Inks

scotrace said:
What if it's Noodler's? Any luck?

Their ETERNAL line is supposed to be permenant and chemically unremoveable, so you wind up destroying the paper.

I haven't tried either remover, but am inclined to say probably not gonna take it out.

Please Note: Noodler's ETERNAL is the only ink you should use for CHECK writing when using a fountain pen. Most other inks will wash away very quickly due to the detergent content which makes it grab to water.

We tested the eternal ink at an SCPCC club meeting last spring, and it would not wash out after drying. The Waterman and the Pelikan and the Lamy inks practically vanished when the water hit it.

Daisy Buchanan

I've been looking at the Fountain Pens that you all have been suggesting, and I am mostly impressed, except I am amazed at some of the prices.
My question, why hasn't anyone suggested Cross? Is it not a nice writing instrument? I went to upper school with the owners of this company, and for graduation they gave us all a beautiful gold fountain pen with our names and date of graduation on it. I was young, and didn't really know what I had been given, and I can't remember the last time I saw it. I wish I had it now.
So, what do you think of Cross? To me, they look nice, and the price of some is definitely lower than some of the other brands. I found this one and thought it might be a nice gift for my dad. But, I don't know enough about them to make an informed purchase. Would like to know your opinions.

Don't be Cross, A. T Cross

Daisy Buchanan said:
My question, why hasn't anyone suggested Cross?

Cross was around for a long time as a small company and was not actually noted for their fountain pens. You will never find a Cross Fountain Pen that is Vintage ever, they just don't seem to come up. That said, they make great fountain pens NOWADAYS.
I gave a friend a Cross ATX earlier this year and I gave a Cross Verve to my best friend (and Pastor) as a birthday gift. It is perhaps one of the SEXIEST pens made today, it is a inlaid manifold nib. Manifold meaning zero flex and capable of taking some pressure such as used to make carbon copies. Cross also makes some classic designs, but even as an American company they weren't part of the big four. The big four of US pens remains: Waterman ,Parker, Sheaffer and Wahl-Eversharp. aLTHOUGH wAHL IS GONE THE REST ARE NOT MADE IN THE us ANYMORE.

Daisy Buchanan

John in Covina said:
Cross was around for a long time as a small company and was not actually noted for their fountain pens. You will never find a Cross Fountain Pen that is Vintage ever, they just don't seem to come up. That said, they make great fountain pens NOWADAYS.
I gave a friend a Cross ATX earlier this year and I gave a Cross Verve to my best friend (and Pastor) as a birthday gift. It is perhaps one of the SEXIEST pens made today, it is a inlaid manifold nib. Manifold meaning zero flex and capable of taking some pressure such as used to make carbon copies. Cross also makes some classic designs, but even as an American company they weren't part of the big four. The big four of US pens remains: Waterman ,Parker, Sheaffer and Wahl-Eversharp. aLTHOUGH wAHL IS GONE THE REST ARE NOT MADE IN THE us ANYMORE.
Thank you so much for the information John. I really like the ones that I have come across. We actually have a Cross store not too far from where we live. I think I will check them out this week to see if I like the way they write. I'm gonna get my dad a roller ball, for I don't think he likes fountain pens. But, I'd like to get myself a fountain pen that is a bit more feminine than the Phileas. Cross seems to make a smaller silver pen that is more lady like than some of the other ones I've seen. Not to say that they all are feminine! They make some lovely masculine pens as well. They just seem to have more of a selection of smaller pens for petite hands! Also, more affordable. Thanks again, your information will be very useful for my decision.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
No wonder I never thought of Cross when thinking of fountain pens. Like anything, I know some people who roll their eyes when Cross pens are mentioned. I had a nice ball point and pencil set given to me years ago and am only now realizing the true sentiment and worth behind that gift. I've always felt they made pretty good ball points, but I've never tried any of their rollerballs or fountain pens.

Another nice modern fountain pen worth looking into is Taccia. They're Japanese made, but they write beautifully. Pen Haven near me carries them and you can either get a pen that takes cartridges/converters, or one which is a piston filler. They look like big pens, but they actually feel great in the hand. (I have smaller hands, too, Daisy.) They also come in both masculine and feminie colors and are a good value. Fahrney's carries them, too, but you may be able to do a little better if you shop around.

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/ItemList--Taccia-Fountain-Pen--m-02_787_789.html

Daisy, if you want a truly classic pen that will write beautifully and fit a smaller hand perfectly, I would suggest looking into finding a vintage Parker Duofold Jr. I finally picked up one for myself a week ago and I haven't written with anything else since! Mine dates 1926 and I paid $75 for it at Pen Haven. Once you get into the 30's, they're streamlined a bit nd you get into marbled pens, but you can't go wrong with a Duofold. Heck. MacArthur signed the end of WWII with his 1920's Duofold!;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally