Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help for picking fountain pens

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Slicksuit said:
I bought a Waterman Phileas on Ebay today. For now, I just bought one in translucent blue, fine nib, for cheap ($14). If i like how it handles, and feel the nib sufficient, I will buy a nicer one down the road. Any good places to buy ink bottles, without going online? And, does it matter if its genuine Wateman brand ink?

Since you specified not online sources, try a well-stocked office supply - if you don't find it on the shelf, ask. I know Staples and Office Depot where I am carry it. There's a Montblanc store in Troy if that's close to you.

If you'll try online sources, Levengers.com has their own line of inks in several colored, as does pendemonium.com. Most of the big-box office supply chains (Staples, Office Max, Office Depot and the like) carry bottled ink in their online sites. There's also coloradopen.com.

I've used almost all the brands in my pens - which include Lamy, Waterman Phileas, Shaeffer and cross - with no problems. Any company is going to claim their product is best and you could run into problems with the competitor's "inferior" ink. It's sort of like buying a new car and the dealer trying to strong-arm you into coming back to them for periodic maintenance and repairs, because anyone else isn't going to be able to do the work correctly.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
...go out and get one. :)
It's a "Winfield", don't know how old it is or where it's from exactly,...[huh] but I think I can get it to work again. It had no price on it in an assortment of pens from 5 bucks on up to 75 bucks, so I got it for 5. ;)
As of this writing, it's been soaking in pure Formula 409, which has sort of formed an ink of sorts by dissolving the old dried up stuff inside. I actually was able to write a little with it. I wonder if the front part with the nib comes off so I can have a look at what's going on in there?

Winfieldpen.jpg

Five bucks is a pretty good deal for any pen if it writes! However (though I wish I could check in here more often) I've been advised against fully soaking a pen in anything without knowing what it's made from. Some pens were actually made out of a milk byproduct, so soaking them in a liquid would essentially destroy the pen. I couldn't find anything easily on Winfield pens, but it looks like a copy of a Parker 51 with a Vacumatic-style filling system. (Unless you already have) I wouldnn't necessarily suggest taking it apart without either knowing how this pen mechanism works, or having the proper tools to do so. Still, you paid five bucks for it, so either way, it's not like you'd be out much if you break the pen. (I've broken a couple cheapys in the name of finding out how they work.)

If you have a lever fill pen like an Esterbrook, they're easy to take apart and repair. They're about as straightforward as they come!

Anyhow, the 409 is good for cleaning out your pen, though I'd suggest filling and emptying it in the solution of water with a drop or two of 409. Do this until the pen runs with clear water. If it's been gunked up for a while, it might need a sonic cleaning from a pen repair shop. Depending upon the condition of the sac, it might need a resack. At any rate, enjoy your pen!

Daisy Buchanan

Fine Point Phileas

My fine point Waterman Phileas Fountain pen disappeared a few weeks ago and after waiting for 2 weeks for it to magically appear, I gave up hope and went in search for a new one. Anyway, some of you may know that the fine point is not easy to find anymore. Well, I found a great website that actually had them for $32 and 10% off of that. This is by far the best price I have ever seen for this wonderful pen. It is a lower priced fountain pen, but a great buy. If anyone is interested in getting another or buying one for the first time, I found mine here. I was very happy to come across the fine point nib, for it seems like all the stores that I came across either didn't offer the fine point at all, or were sold out of it. It was such a great price I bought two. They also had the blue/black ink refill, which I have been having trouble finding as well.
Well, I hope that someone finds this info useful. The store has quite a few nice pen options to offer, but I really like the Phileas. It's such a nice pen in the fine point nib, and I'm not heartbroken and comepletely empty in the wallet after losing one. Good option for a fountain pen that you won't have to worry about.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
binkmeisterRick said:
Five bucks is a pretty good deal for any pen if it writes! However (though I wish I could check in here more often) I've been advised against fully soaking a pen in anything without knowing what it's made from. Some pens were actually made out of a milk byproduct, so soaking them in a liquid would essentially destroy the pen. I couldn't find anything easily on Winfield pens, but it looks like a copy of a Parker 51 with a Vacumatic-style filling system. (Unless you already have) I wouldnn't necessarily suggest taking it apart without either knowing how this pen mechanism works, or having the proper tools to do so. Still, you paid five bucks for it, so either way, it's not like you'd be out much if you break the pen. (I've broken a couple cheapys in the name of finding out how they work.)

If you have a lever fill pen like an Esterbrook, they're easy to take apart and repair. They're about as straightforward as they come!

Anyhow, the 409 is good for cleaning out your pen, though I'd suggest filling and emptying it in the solution of water with a drop or two of 409. Do this until the pen runs with clear water. If it's been gunked up for a while, it might need a sonic cleaning from a pen repair shop. Depending upon the condition of the sac, it might need a resack. At any rate, enjoy your pen!

Thanks for the tips. :) I think it's made of an ordinary modern plastic, as the 409 didn't disolve it. I will run it through the ultra sonics at my work place to see if that helps it. Although it seems to be un-clogged. I will have to perform a test with some actual Rapidograph pen ink to see if the pump mechanism is working properly. (When I get around to it. :rolleyes: )

magneto

Practically Family
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Although it seems to be un-clogged. I will have to perform a test with some actual Rapidograph pen ink to see if the pump mechanism is working properly. (When I get around to it. :rolleyes: )

No no please no! If the rapidograph uses India ink (which I think most do, yes?) do not put India ink into a fountain pen! It will mess up the pen.

SGB

One of the Regulars
magneto said:
No no please no! If the rapidograph uses India ink (which I think most do, yes?) do not put India ink into a fountain pen! It will mess up the pen.

Correct, all drawing inks are a no-no in fountain pens. I used drawing ink in my first vintage fountain pen, a Blue Diamond, and it clogged it up something awful. I had to use a sonic cleaner to get it working again. I told the dealer I'd bought it from what had happened, they printed up a card explaining what kinds of ink to use, which they gave to each pen customer thereafter. I learned the hard way, lucky no one has to again.

SGB

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Whoaa,...thanks!

Glad I tuned in. When 3 witnesses testify it must be so, but I would have thought Rapidograph ink would work fine as the pens have cartridges inside. [huh]
Thanks for the warning.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
WHEW! For a moment I thought everyone would've been too late. Yeah, use only fountain pen inks for a fountain pen. It's like putting deisel instead of regular gasoline into your car. Sure, it'll fill the tank, but you won't be happy with the results.

Daisy, I just checked your link for the sake of it and the Phileas fountain pen is no longer listed that I can find. (They have a rollerball, though.) Sounds like it's been discontinued to me. Still, it looks like there are plenty of other pens to choose from.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
And it's the fine point?? That's lucky, for they don't have them at any of the staples near me.

I would love to see a sample of writing in the Fine nib for Waterman. Daisy, you've made me a believer in the Watermans and I like them. I'm thinking about picking up a Pelikan and a Shaeffer today too. You guys have created an animal. :) I was just telling Magneto that the other day.

FG.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Oops, I need advise...

Folks,

I went to go and fill my Waterman with the converter as the cartridge has run out. In the process I have now ink all over the fingers on my left hand. I tried hot water with soap, and it's still there. I've tried gin (Bombay), Vodka and Everclear...I even tried Orange Pumice...no dice. Any ideas?

Jon

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
If it is regular fountain pen ink; Quink, Pelikan, etc., it really should scrub off with a nail brush and soap. I've had success with fingernail polish remover (acetone).

If it's Noodler's, it may wear off by Christmas.

Daisy Buchanan

FedoraGent said:
I would love to see a sample of writing in the Fine nib for Waterman. Daisy, you've made me a believer in the Watermans and I like them. I'm thinking about picking up a Pelikan and a Shaeffer today too. You guys have created an animal. :) I was just telling Magneto that the other day.

FG.
The fine point writes beautifully. A very impressive pen for the price. I was at the Mont Blanc store the other day, and the lowest price pen that they had was over $300. This was a little too rich for my blood, especially with the way I've been losing pens. The Waterman is just fine for me right now, I can't believe that link I put up says they don't have them anymore. They have me worried that they won't be sending me my pens that I ordered. I have yet to receive a confirmation from them, I will definitely have to look into this. UGH! Why did I have to lose the fine point blue one I had, it was such an elegant pen.

FeforaGent, did you try club soda. I wish I could remember the name of the soap my Grandpa used to get car grease off his hands. Maybe you should check out an auto supply store if you have one near you, they probably have some great soaps, and if they remove grease they should surely remove pen ink.

magneto

Practically Family
FedoraGent said:
Folks,

I went to go and fill my Waterman with the converter as the cartridge has run out. In the process I have now ink all over the fingers on my left hand. I tried hot water with soap, and it's still there. I've tried gin (Bombay), Vodka and Everclear...I even tried Orange Pumice...no dice. Any ideas?

Jon

[1] Put liquid soap on *dry* hands, scrub well, rinse.
[2] Does the bottle have an "inkwell" in it (a little glass pocket on the side), if so use that (the classic, i.e. non-Slovenia Sheaffer Skrip bottles have the inkwell). But anyway, lower the converter plunger all the way down, have an old rag sitting by, stick the pen in ink to cover the feed, suck in the ink, remove pen to rag, blot off excess w/o touching inky bits. I do this and never get ink on fingers.

Mike in Seattle

When refilling, I put my pen into the bottle just deep enough to submerge most but not all of the nib, fill and then, like using a paintbrush, I "drag off" as much of the ink droplets on the side of the rim of the bottle. Then I wipe the rest off with a towel or pen wipe. Being the noodge that I am, I usually fill more than one pen at a time in the kitchen sink in case I spill and have a towel for blotting nib and wiping down the pen just in case.

But for the inevitable splotches on fingers, they usually disappear in a day or so. Clorox bleach gets rid of it, but then it's rinse with vinegar (vinegar's an acid so it breaks the molecular bond of alkalies in the bleach and gets rid of the "slippery" feel immediate) and a lot of water.

The Montblanc bottles have a little well that's only deep enough to partially submerge the nib in - just enough for filling the pen, and even if you slip and drop it in, it's not getting ink all over the pen. You tip the bottle to fill the well and when you set it down, it drains back to the perfect filling level. I didn't have one of their pens until recently (a total score on Ebay! 20+ year old #149 that never been used - a big splurge but the local store said it was a steal) but I've ended up with a couple bottles of their ink over the years. The old Shaeffer Scripto bottles have a similar feature. Pellikan & Waterman bottles - out in the trash when they're empty, but the Scripto & Montblanc are handy to keep a few around.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
magneto said:
[1] Put liquid soap on *dry* hands, scrub well, rinse.
[2] Does the bottle have an "inkwell" in it (a little glass pocket on the side), if so use that (the classic, i.e. non-Slovenia Sheaffer Skrip bottles have the inkwell). But anyway, lower the converter plunger all the way down, have an old rag sitting by, stick the pen in ink to cover the feed, suck in the ink, remove pen to rag, blot off excess w/o touching inky bits. I do this and never get ink on fingers.

M,

Your method worked. 90% of the ink has come off. Now to get the rest of it...

Jon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rand S