Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian shirts and fedoras

O.K. edit this out if it's out of line , but I've always considered the guayabera, a.k.a. "Mexican wedding shirt" to be a distant relative of the Hawaiian shirt. Heck, they wear 'em in the Philippines too, and that's closer to Hawaii than I am.
e3y5ygys.jpg

My sons were in a play at the community arts center tonight, so I thought I'd dress kinda nice, but it's in the 90s here.
Thought I might be underdressed, but I was the only guy there even wearing long pants. Boy!! Did I feel out of place? Hell No!!

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Your a modern dad Dale and fit in anywhere. Agree with you on the Guayaberas as relatives to Alohas. Throw Nat Nast and bowling shirts in there too. Kool kasual, fits you to a tee.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
O.K. edit this out if it's out of line , but I've always considered the guayabera, a.k.a. "Mexican wedding shirt" to be a distant relative of the Hawaiian shirt. Heck, they wear 'em in the Philippines too, and that's closer to Hawaii than I am.
e3y5ygys.jpg

My sons were in a play at the community arts center tonight, so I thought I'd dress kinda nice, but it's in the 90s here.
Thought I might be underdressed, but I was the only guy there even wearing long pants. Boy!! Did I feel out of place? Hell No!!

That's a nice look. I like both the hat and the shirt. Like you, I too see those as being in the same family as the Hawaiian shirt, as both are casual summer shirts meant to be worn untucked. I have one or two around that I've worn as a tattoo smock on occasion. I've noticed a lot of barbers wear them as smocks as well.

Many thanks Mike, Harv, Matt, and B-man.
Harv, I am digging that koi shirt. I love the colors. I dig how your hat band plays in with them too. Nice pairing.
Matt my dad cut hair, and I've seen him sport one. Also some plain ones with the low pockets. Great place to hold combs and shears and what not when you're working'.

Today I continued to represent my corner of the world. The gulf coast is the one I grew up with.
ajyrybet.jpg

Florida and bowling theme, with Dobbs.
I look chill because this was before a house full of 1st grade little girls got all jacked up on birthday cake and punch and busted out the "Frozen" dvd.

That sounds pretty awesome Matt. I've got a hoard of tiki stuff sittin' in boxes in my garage I need to sort through. Probably ought to cull some of it some day, so give a holler when you're done.

Lando

Practically Family
Kamehameha koi print and Falcon Park.
7ane7una.jpg

Great combo. That Falcon Park is a real looker.

Dh66, man you really rock those stingy brims. And you're right. The Hawaiian shirt is just one dimension of that relaxed summer shirt: untucked, short sleeve, button down.

My addition to the mix.

14290709188_99d91cae53_c.jpg

Silverbelly Explorer from Nathaniel's of Colorado and a Pacific Legend cotton with some bright colors. The Explorer is a great all around hat, reminds me of an Akubra Banjo Paterson, but built way tougher if you can believe that.

Thanks Lando. Nice combination you're rockin' too. That's a bright one for sure, looks like summertime.

Lando

Practically Family
14485195994_ec721211b2_c.jpg

Got a big scratch on the lens of my left eye, right across the pupil. Makes all the light refract weird through it. Lot of ghosting in bright light. Doc said to take to the shade, so I did. Broke out a big brim Stetson that Buckaroo Hatter redid for me and a plenty silly Pacific Legend to lighten the mood. What else can you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82