Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats and Drinks - A Match Made in Heaven

RickP

Practically Family
Celebrating the arrival of my new-to-me 1950-ish Royal Stetson Whippet looking thing. Christening it with a big hairy Bloody Mary and a Macanudo Cru Royale. That should remove most of the Grandpa's closet smell... lol

Compress_20240909_160129_9127.jpg

HH spent under my VS Playboy clone. As the weather becomes more fall-like, the Oktoberfests, Porters & Stouts are starting to hit the taps. I started HH with a couple of Nitro Stouts brewed by Left Hand Brewing Co, Longmont, CO @ 6% ABV. And finished with a City Wide Irish Dry Stout brewed by 4 Hands Brewing Co, St Louis, MO @ 4.5% ABV. The Nitro Stout easily won out. Both Left Hand & 4 Hands are good breweries & I usually favor most of their brews.

IMG_1019.jpeg

IMG_1018.jpeg

IMG_1017.jpeg

IMG_1016.jpeg

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Curiosity got the better of me and we ordered some NEAT glasses. Comparing them with a Glencairn, we’ve been neither here, nor there. But over the last few days, we’ve had some Islay whiskies in them, and I must say, I think the NEAT glasses win with our small sample of Caol Ila, Classic Laddie, and Scarabus (pictured).
IMG_2783.jpeg
Today’s hat was a Bailey Toyo - A regular work hat.

Last edited:
In 1970 independent bottler Duncan Taylor Scotch Whisky Ltd purchased from Highland Park Distillery sherry cask No. 3254 & proceeded to let it age 40 yrs in 10 refill casks, at which time it was allowed to finish in European Sherry Butts for an additional 14 yrs, making for a 54 yr old age-stated Single Malt Whisky. Named The Accolade this is the oldest independent bottling of Highland Park to date. Besides being known for rare bottlings Duncan Taylor is also known for their top shelf blended Scotch, Black Bull Whisky; The Octave; & Dimensions.

IMG_6707.jpeg

The Accolade was a single cask release that produced 158 bottles @ 42.9% ABV. Bottle No. 1 sold at auction in May 2023 for $38,325.00. The remaining bottles have recently been released to the market @ $28,767.00 ea based on the current exchange rate.

IMG_5831.jpeg

IMG_5833.jpeg

IMG_5832.jpeg

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
In 1970 independent bottler Duncan Taylor Scotch Whisky Ltd purchased from Highland Park Distillery sherry cask No. 3254 & proceeded to let it age 40 yrs in 10 refill casks, at which time it was allowed to finish in European Sherry Butts for an additional 14 yrs, making for a 54 yr old age-stated Single Malt Whisky. Named The Accolade this is the oldest independent bottling of Highland Park to date. Besides being known for rare bottlings Duncan Taylor is also known for their top shelf blended Scotch, Black Bull Whisky; The Octave; & Dimensions.

View attachment 639608

The Accolade was a single cask release that produced 158 bottles @ 42.9% ABV. Bottle No. 1 sold at auction in May 2023 for $38,325.00. The remaining bottles have recently been released to the market @ $28,767.00 ea based on the current exchange rate.

View attachment 639611
View attachment 639609
View attachment 639610
How many bottles did you pick up?

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
Every marriage has its ups and downs, but no one ever truly regretted marrying a bartender!
As the mid 30s temperatures continue, nothing hits the spot like a frozen margarita. This is a nashi pear flavoured one made from ice blocks…at least that’s what they called in New Zealand. Over here it’s called ice candy. Either way, these were so good!
IMG_2786.jpeg

We followed that with a true margarita, using fresh limes from our tree.
IMG_2790.jpeg
IMG_2796.jpeg

The hat is a Tula with a Sunbody hatband that I use for barbecuing.
Smoking jalapeños today to make some chipotle powder, and a smoky fermented hot sauce. While I was at it, I thought I’d smoke me some pork.
IMG_2785.jpeg

RickP

Practically Family
Performing a "scientific" physics experiment with my new round ice cube mold today. Doing destructive testing to see how it takes to melt with bourbon, cranberry juice, 1/2 a squeezed orange, simple syrup, and topped with an orange slice and a couple of cherries in the glass. If this works well, I may try it again with a bigger glass lol. First observation is that it pairs well with a Whippet

Compress_20240915_135020_0701.jpg

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I call it consistent and my wife reminds me it is boring......this past week Surley Supreme (pilsner) and Guinness were my consistent choices.

i-CNs7Hnw-M.jpg

Sunday breakfast beer - Surley.

i-9VK9h2H-M.jpg

Too warm to grill so I had a breakfast of champions (smoked salmon, everything bagel and a peach). It is very tasty. I had the same breakfast today.

i-7SsMGJF-M.jpg

Cheers, Eric -

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1