Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LorenWho

New in Town
Sweatband tape question.

I see that reeded sweatbands appear to use a reeded, vinyl coated fabric that has been cut on the bias. On many of the vintage hats that I have acquired, the vinyl coating has flaked off, revealing the fabric.

My question is, why use a vinyl coated fabric that is destined to deteriorate before most other parts of the hat? Is there a better fabric to use? Outside of attaching an un-reeded sweatband, are there other commonly used options?

Thanks,

-Loren

Sweatband tape question.

I see that reeded sweatbands appear to use a reeded, vinyl coated fabric that has been cut on the bias. On many of the vintage hats that I have acquired, the vinyl coating has flaked off, revealing the fabric.

My question is, why use a vinyl coated fabric that is destined to deteriorate before most other parts of the hat? Is there a better fabric to use? Outside of attaching an un-reeded sweatband, are there other commonly used options?

Thanks,

-Loren
I think the Reed tape on vintage hats is NOT a plastic as they predate that. Like the thread more likely a cotton. Modern Reed tape is plastic and will. Outlast the leather sweat

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I would like to have a pencil curl on a Stetson of mine (still not clear about the model , it looks like a Amish or Bolero with a telescope crown) .
It is similar to this (except the feather and J.B Stetson " badge pin " on the left by the bow)

View attachment 543273

I have attempted some mode work with some decent succes but I am a little squeamish about this. I've read that others have tried and had some problems with this.

The only video that I have found doing something like this is on Facebook (rather then on YouTube) and fortunately it is public because I don't have facebook

this is

McLaughlin & Hayes Hat Co.

here.
I thought of sharing this since there aren't too many sources (if someone could download the video and post it for " posterity" it would be a great thing to do. I don't know how... .
I tried to watch this video but it keeps asking me to give Facebook permission to track my activity on Fedora Lounge. When I deny it that permission, it won't play the video.

That's some insidious b.s. there.

Sorry to be negative, but it's angering that they are holding one of their user's content hostage like that.

Darrell2688

A-List Customer
Well I am still learning about hat making, my recent hat taught me a lot for sure, one thing is for sure, if the felt doesn't have enough stiffener in it, don't try to bash it into shape it won't hold and don't try to cut the brim down with a rounding jack, the felt curls in front of the jack and you end up with a lousy cut. Here are a few photos of my recent work, I still have a little touch up work to do.
20230922_222000.jpg

20230922_222007.jpg

20230922_222026.jpg

milandro

A-List Customer
I tried to watch this video but it keeps asking me to give Facebook permission to track my activity on Fedora Lounge. When I deny it that permission, it won't play the video.

That's some insidious b.s. there.

Sorry to be negative, but it's angering that they are holding one of their user's content hostage like that.
sorry, although the video above isn't mine.

I have just tried again, it asked me whether I wanted to allow cookies and I clicked , don't, the Facebook page opens (I do't have Facebook ) and I was able to watch the video.

Things may be different at your end, remember we use different computers, are in different geographic areas and also different cookies regulations apply..

If I could download the video I would, but again. I don't have Facebook , I can only watch it and provide link to that video, which, I have to repeat myself, is one of the few videos on the matter.

@deadlyhandsome seems to have been able to watch the video, so it must be possible also for others, not only for me

remember you must watch on the Facebook page NOT on the window open on the lounge

Last edited:

LorenWho

New in Town
Grosgrain blues…

I have been scouring eBay and Etsy for 2” finished edge cotton/rayon grosgrain ribbon.

Pickings are slim, at best.

What are you guys doing when you can’t find anything reasonably close to the width and color you are looking for?

Seems like what is being made is 100% poly gift wrapping/crafting quality grosgrain, or millinery petersham.

Thanks,

-L

shopkin

Familiar Face
Grosgrain blues…

I have been scouring eBay and Etsy for 2” finished edge cotton/rayon grosgrain ribbon.

Pickings are slim, at best.

What are you guys doing when you can’t find anything reasonably close to the width and color you are looking for?

Seems like what is being made is 100% poly gift wrapping/crafting quality grosgrain, or millinery petersham.

Thanks,

-L
Petersham is much easier to shape into an arc so it will conform.

Makes sense. Unfortunately, I prefer the look of the finished edge for the current round of hats I would like to make.

Thanks,

-L
I consider myself most fortunate as I secured many thousands of yards of vintage grosgrain from retiring hatters when I first began this journey. Finding good vintage is becoming harder and harder and more expensive by the week. Have you tried Guy Morse Brown out of the UK. They carry a selection of widths and basic colours. It is not vintage but the last time I looked it was cotton/rayon not the poly crap. Also, @purebeaverhatsupply had posted they had a source for good US grosgrain and were planning to stock.
The wider widths are even harder to source.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads