Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

FinalVestige79

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
This is what I got earlier today: a pomp up top and shaved in around the edges with a straight razor:

IMG_1691.jpg

;)

Thats slick man! I think I know what I am getting next...

Musashi

One of the Regulars
Any 'acceptable' looks for guys who are going bald in front??? That's sort of how i got into hat's and then fedora's in the first place. tired of the forehead-sunburn! I've read this whole thread now, and I definitely do not have the 'raw material' to produce any sort of pompadour

Scotus

One of the Regulars
Musashi, the great thing about a vintage haircut is that it doesn't matter what your hairline is. A classical 'short back & sides' cut works with all hair types. Men with thinning hair getting a buzz is a modern phenomenon. If you'll watch a few old movies, you'll see it's a haircut that works for all ages and hair. They still got the same cut, combed it back, and didn't worry (like modern men seem to) about thinning hair. And, as you say, everyone wore hats.

As for a pompadour, you're right, that is a style (relatively recent when I think of 'vintage') that doesn't work with thinning hair.

LesTremayne.jpg

This is actor Les Tremayne. He has a classic cut but he doesn't have a full head of hair. It looks great and doesn't draw your attention to his hair.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scotus said:
Musashi, the great thing about a vintage haircut is that it doesn't matter what your hairline is. A classical 'short back & sides' cut works with all hair types. Men with thinning hair getting a buzz is a modern phenomenon. If you'll watch a few old movies, you'll see it's a haircut that works for all ages and hair. They still got the same cut, combed it back, and didn't worry (like modern men seem to) about thinning hair. And, as you say, everyone wore hats.

As for a pompadour, you're right, that is a style (relatively recent when I think of 'vintage') that doesn't work with thinning hair.

LesTremayne.jpg

This is actor Les Tremayne. He has a classic cut but he doesn't have a full head of hair. It looks great and doesn't draw your attention to his hair.

Full agreement. A friend of mine is starting to recede and then he started getting this cut (a bit shorter on the sides, not much). Looks like a million bucks. After he trained the woman to cut it right.

Gunk

New in Town
I found a barber who does my hair the way I like it, short all around, fade, long on top. However what is the considered routine to maintain it. Once a month get a cleanup? Or get a another full-blown haircut?

Dr Doran

Gunk said:
I found a barber who does my hair the way I like it, short all around, fade, long on top. However what is the considered routine to maintain it. Once a month get a cleanup? Or get a another full-blown haircut?

A monthly haircut sounds perfectly sensible to me.

Personally, I like it very short on the sides and back (= "whitewalls," I guess) so I trim it once every 2 -3 weeks. I get too hot otherwise. But not everyone needs that.

As the old commercial said, Regular is what's regular for you. People's hair grows at different rates and I know mine seems to grown a little bit faster after it's first cut. That brings to mind an experiment maybe. Keep track of ones hair length and see how long it usually takes untill you're in need of the next full blown haircut as opposed to just a trim.

About 5 weeks ago i was trimming my hair with the Wahl clippers and wasn't watching what I was doing. I Hit the right side with the wrong angle taper guide and made a divot, cut it short and then had to do the top short so it did not look too out of balance. All I can say is i am lucky that it still grows back, in a week or so I'll need to touch up the sides and back as i let the top grow out again.

Dr Doran

I have Wahl clippers, and I like them for the most part, except that with the guards, I want more gradations between a zero and a 1, and between a 1 and a 2.

Anyone know of something that has finer gradations in the guards?

Hey Doran, some of the Wahl clippers have an adjustment on the clipper blade section itself. The metal frame portion of the clipper can be adjusted for closer or further out. If you have that on yours, then you may have your intermediate settings!

I got my Wahl set about 7-8 years ago at Christmas time. I was in Sears and all sort of stuff only comes out front at this time. I think I spent about $35-40, and I have easily saved that $ in "crew cuts" for the summer by the second year. It's not to say a good barber cut isn't worth it, but sometimes we have to be frugal too.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Mr. 'H' said:
This is what I got earlier today: a pomp up top and shaved in around the edges with a straight razor:

IMG_1691.jpg

;)

It's hard to go back from that cut, isn't it Brian?!

Are you familiar with Carl Sonny Leyland from the rockin blues era of the Krewmen circa 1985? They had some really killer hair cuts at about this time. I think members of Red Hot & Blue & similar UK rockin folk also sported skin around the top and back of the ears with a quick fade. I'm having trouble finding images online. But definitely the still photos of the Krewmen with Leyland still in the band sums up what I'm getting at.

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Doran said:
Anyone know of something that has finer gradations in the guards?

Doran, the Oster seems to be great for this, as far as I know. It is a totally different experience than the Wahl, the motor purrs at a totally different rate. There are no plastic guards, but rather changeable metal attachments. The metal heats up when in use, which is nice against the scalp when you're getting whitewalls.

9760_full.jpg

flat-top

Mr. 'H' said:
Doran, the Oster seems to be great for this, as far as I know. It is a totally different experience than the Wahl, the motor purrs at a totally different rate. There are no plastic guards, but rather changeable metal attachments. The metal heats up when in use, which is nice against the scalp when you're getting whitewalls.

9760_full.jpg
I'm due for new clippers myself...is the Oster in the picture the model # you would suggest Mr. 'H'?

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
I'm due for new clippers myself...is the Oster in the picture the model # you would suggest Mr. 'H'?

That's the exact one my barber uses on me, if he's not using the hand clippers (the original 1930s ones). I think it's a better clippers by far BUT I think it is more cumbersome to use (on oneself) than the Wahl. They are popular among the high and tight crowd, mil barbershops etc., as they give a way better buzz on the first pass.

Tony in Tarzana

Just got back from Sweeney Todd's in Hollywood yesterday. Great 1940s-50s looking place and they do a good job.

Photo0068.jpg

There's an eyglass shop across the street from them that sells Shuron frames, and they were nice enough to snap a pic for me trying on the "Sidewinder"

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This is another type of 1930s men hairstyle, i think it also looks as good as the very short on sides! Both styles look very nice! :eusa_clap This one is a little longer on the sides, but not too long.

Actor Fredric March circa 1930.
apw4ptgg8w6vw8vt.jpg

2b1f16o8ripiiri6.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe