Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hair cuts

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
happyfilmluvguy said:
Anyone ever tried Top Brass?

topbrass.jpg

topbrass1.jpg

Not in awhile.... I believe my dad used to use this on me as a little boy.. If I remember correctly it gives a pretty good shine (when applied to wet hair) and it washes out fairly easily.. Let me know if it works well for you.

bowl cut

gobler said:
I just went for a hair cut today and had a difficult time discribing a 30"s style hair. With all of threads about clothing and other attire I would like to start one for the "look". Hair cuts and facial hair. How did gentalmen of the past wear there hair? So I think MattDeckerd who get's his cut can start us off with some Photos?

Cheers,just let the barber put large soup bowl on you head and start cutting.
Jeff
Thats the easy way.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I'll resurrect this one again. I got this AC Grooming Cream the other day and I think many would like it. It's about as thick as Murray's Light and reminds me more of an "ethnic" pomade than a Crew product.

It does not rinse out like AC Pomade or Fiber, but shampoos right out. Extremly shiney too.

crew_grooming_cream_50g_250.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I have the pretty girl at the style salon up the road cut my hair. She does a great job. Cut entirely with scissors, using the buzzer pretty much only to trim around the edges and do the sideburns (which I used to have all the way to the bottom of my ears...see my avatar, but now cut them to the middle). It is tapered and quite short on the sides and back, and longer on top, though I wouldn't call it "long". I have her cut it to about 2" on top at most. I have thick, stiff, wavy hair. The longer it is, the worse it is to try to get to behave. I absolutely cannot stand to have anything on my hair, not no way, not no how. I just dampen my hair, and brush it back, keeping the front pomped up a bit. No fuss, no muss.;)

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I still go to an old fashion barber. He cut my grandfather's hair, my father's hair, my 2 brother's and their son's hair as well as my own hair. He is in semi-retirement. He is closed Saturday - Monday and charges $11 for a hair cut. He has an old Pepsi Machine that you open a door and pull the drink from a slot. Since Pepsi does not provide long necks in this area anymore, he keeps Coca Cola in it now. I have him square the back, trim the sides and off the ears, a little off the top and none off the front. He will still shave my neck with a straight razor and provide a little tonic as well. As far as using something to hold the hair in place, I usually comb my hair while it is still wet and the put some hairspray on. I let it dry and then comb or brush out the hair spray and then re-comb it. It usually holds pretty well and is not greasy. When I go to the restroom, I will put the comb back through my hair with just a little water on the comb. That is usually all I need. I do use Brylcreme some, but my wife gets ticked at me if I dont wash my hair before coming to bed. She is tired of me greasing up her pillow cases.

Gray Ghost

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
Actually, years ago, when I was in my "50's phase", I used some stuff called "Groom and Clean". Didn't use it a lot, only on occasion. Actually, it's all right stuff. You do have to use it sparingly, though it isn't greasy at all (no greasy kid's stuff!).;)

neon_martini64

New in Town
My Hair, or what's left of it.

Dalexs said:
Of course with the Curly cut you DEFINATELY don't need to worry about hat hair... and its low maintenance! :eek:

Curly-That's my style. Timeless, easy, no hat-head, I have the skull (shape) to pull it off and it just suits me. I'm doomed to have the same hairline as my dad, which is not so bad.

Me: Dad, did you get your hair cut today?
Dad: Yeah, both of them!
lol

neon_martini64

New in Town
Pyroxene said:
They were all under hat. How you tell?

Personally, I think it was just short on the back and sides. Off the ears, trim the sideburns and parted either on the right or left.

Until the 1960's the short-back-and-sides was the basic haircut of the twentieth century. Remember when the Beatles came out and they were considered so "long haired"

Some small town barbers are the best. Some include a shave and this one I used to visit gave a quick massage on your back before letting you get up from your chair. It was first class all the way. And, "the guys" would sit and discuss guns, politics, war, farming, etc....

Cheers,
Pyro.

The 'old fashioned' men's barber shop is getting harder and harder to find. I was happy to have found one @ Fisherman's Terminal in Seattle. There's Art of partially naked women on the walls, stacks of Playboy magazines, and the talk ranged around similar subjects. Save maybe 'farming'. Definitely fishing though! $14 for the works. The original owner's health is not well, so his assistant is running it for him. I hope they survive.

In this world of mass-production, 'super-chop' strip-mall type of operations where gender is ambiguous at best, it's nice to have a men's grooming place where men can be men. Talking about man things and the PC police not around is a big plus. If only we could smoke cigars in there.

<lament>

A barbershop report In the San Diego area.

Below is a report from last year that an aquaintance gave regarding one of the few remaining "shave and a haircut" establishments that were ubiquitous in the yester-years.

Crown Barber Shop 947 Orange Avenue, Coronado, CA 92118 (619) 435-8637

Located on Orange Avenue, in Coronado California, (also known as the Crown city) is a small barber shop known as Crown Barber. Coronado, home to both multi-millionaires and 3 Naval bases full of well, non-millionaires like myself, is an Island located across the San Diego bay from downtown San Diego.

To get to Crown Barber, simply cross the CA 75 Coronado Bay Bridge, continue straight through town until reaching Orange Avenue, the town's main thoroughfare. Turn left. Continue for a few stoplights, I do not remember the exact cross street, but Crown barber is on the left (for a landmark, the town's only Starbucks coffee is on the right).
Find parking and walk in.

The waiting room is a small arrangement of benches around a small table covered in magazines. Many of the clientele are military, it is completely ordinary to be sitting between a group of Navy SEALS on one side and on other side a multimillionaire residing in one of his summer homes. Everyone seems to get along.

I wait my turn, and when called on tell the barber I am interested in shaves. He immediately told me to go back and wait, and told the one of the other Barbers who began prepping the chair next to the sink. Finally I was called up and sat in the chair. The barber had an interesting banter, all too happy to discuss razors, strops (he preferred horsehide, as I recall) and various such things. Then the hot towel. I relaxed under the hot towel until my face had adjusted, then the barber removed this towel, slathered my face with Molle, then some lather from the lather king. Then he put another hot towel on my face on top of the lather. When he removed the second towel, yet another smoothing of Molle (brushless for those who aren't familiar with the product) and some hot lather from the lather king. I was then shaved one pass with the grain, followed by another towel, and a final pass across the grain. He said he did not like to give shaves against the grain, especially with the disposable blade razors, as he believed it caused irritation and ingrown hairs. I could have requested it but didn't push the issue. He finished off with a hot towel, followed by a COLD towel. He then asked if I was "ready for the Bay Rum" (he said the owner is very interested in remaining a "traditional" style of barber shop so they had all the old classics, including bay rum. I do not know which brand.) I said yes, and he splashed the stinging stuff on my face (whoo...smelled good but OWW) after which he dusted my face with powder. I don't know if it was Clubman or what. I then proceeded to receive a haircut as well. I walked out of the barber shop (after tipping the barber) feeling like I had just walked stepped out of a time warp to the early 1950's. The clothing styles and magazines may have changed since then, but I don't believe Crown Barber shop has. Price for shave and a haircut? around 15 bucks.
John P.
;)

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
There's NO WAY any of the "old time barbers" near here would have Playboy or any similar magazine!!! Field&Stream maybe...

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
The place I used to go (before the gentleman retired) only had hunting and fishing magazines. But if you went behind the partition where they had their coffee maker and extra towels, there were those calendars still hanging from the 50's or 60's with the plastic overlay. When the overlay was down, the subject of the photograph was covered, lift it, and that which was left to the imagination, wasn't.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
1950's Barbershop

Back in the early 1950's my Dad took us to the local barber like twice a month for haircuts. We really liked getting haircuts :D :D :D

Sure he had Playboy every month :D & if we could sneak a peak we would :D . Remember back then it was far sexier for what it didn't show.

SC ;)

PS Just one happy older Boomer memory :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe