Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gustin Jeans Selvage Denim made in SF

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Mr. P,

Welcome to the Lounge! I recognize you from a certain other forum with plenty of Gustin fans! The fit looks good. I can't wait to see how some of the Gustin denims fade over time. I hope you keep updating the Pinterest post.

Andy B.

Mr Plastik

New in Town
Mr. P,

Welcome to the Lounge! I recognize you from a certain other forum with plenty of Gustin fans! The fit looks good. I can't wait to see how some of the Gustin denims fade over time. I hope you keep updating the Pinterest post.

Andy B.

Hey, thanks for the warm welcome, Andy!

Yeah, I frequent a bunch of boards as I can never get enough of denim :p

As for the updates, it shouldn't be a problem doing them monthly. I tried to do weekly updates on past denim projects but they ultimately failed due to one crucial, missing element: time.

Mr P

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I have been eyeing the 16-ers and regrett not getting them - they look amazing!

But I somehow question if I can do another pair justice. Both the indy/indy and the loomies seems like slow-faders so I got my work cut out for me for a year atleast.
The Indys have gotten the least wear but do show something that might be dust, but it could be fading :D
The loomies is actually showing real babyfades on some areas, but they are being very stubborn at other places so we will just have to wait and see. They still look very sharp despite me using them almost every day.

Next pair will be japaneese or american 16oz methinks. Unless something else comes along :D

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I read an interesting article on sand washing selvedge denim to get nice, faster fades. I spent a few days at the beach last week, and tried it on my japan classics. The process is, wear jeans into the surf, have a swim, go onto sand grab a handful and scrub the areas you want to fade, then go back into the surf,Repeat, repeat. Repeat.so, I did this about 8 times over an hour or so. Went bonkers with sand, got laughed at by strangers etc etc. then went and wore them in a cold fresh water shower. Wore them for an hour then hung them out to dry. I was pretty hopeful...got home, washed them normally in cold water,hung them out to dry....no real result...I've worn them maybe 6 times before the wash. The guys on the blog had done a year without a wash...was going to try to go a year without a wash, but got impatient, and was at the beach, so I did it. I think after that effort, it's going to take a hellishly long time to get natural fades...having said that, I love the jeans..I also have the indigo 2 that I'm yet to wear....just thought I would share my experience

Mr Plastik

New in Town
I read an interesting article on sand washing selvedge denim to get nice, faster fades. I spent a few days at the beach last week, and tried it on my japan classics. The process is, wear jeans into the surf, have a swim, go onto sand grab a handful and scrub the areas you want to fade, then go back into the surf,Repeat, repeat. Repeat.so, I did this about 8 times over an hour or so. Went bonkers with sand, got laughed at by strangers etc etc. then went and wore them in a cold fresh water shower. Wore them for an hour then hung them out to dry. I was pretty hopeful...got home, washed them normally in cold water,hung them out to dry....no real result...I've worn them maybe 6 times before the wash. The guys on the blog had done a year without a wash...was going to try to go a year without a wash, but got impatient, and was at the beach, so I did it. I think after that effort, it's going to take a hellishly long time to get natural fades...having said that, I love the jeans..I also have the indigo 2 that I'm yet to wear....just thought I would share my experience

From what I understand, this is what needs to be done during a sea-wash for best fades:

1. After 6 months of wear, make your way to a salty body of water that has a sandy beach.
2. With your denim on, throw yourself into the water to get your jeans soaking wet.
3. Have a seat on the beach and rub/cake sand into ALL parts of your denim.
4. Now, and here is the key, walk/run/jump/play/move/exercise around the beach.
5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 at least five times.
6. Wash your denim with fresh water and hang to dry.

Now, rubbing sand is fine and all but to really see results, you need to get your denim moving while it's caked in beach sand. This allows the sand to really do a number on the parts that you move while you're doing something, like running or exercising. The trapped sand grinds and destroys those parts of your denim. It's kind of like the 6 month process of not washing your denim, allowing the dirt to get trapped in your whiskers and honeycombs for better fades, but on steroids.

One big complaint from some, on this kind of wash, is how the denim smells afterwards... :p

Mr P

Last edited:

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Yep...it didn't stink too bad at all had sand in the pockets and everywhere...didn't move around so much...
Will be going to the coast again before summer is over...will have another crack..

photosean

New in Town
Hey fellows,

This is my first post. I've been watching this board evolve over the past couple months. I too have become somewhat of a Gustin follower. I got my hands on the Early Bird special (Heavy Americans) and a pair of the Japan Classics #22, back when Gustin opened its online doors.

Since then, I've expanded my collection to include pairs of the Heavy Japan and Indigo2. All of which have been in the straight fit.

When I got my hands ... errr ... legs into the initial purchase, I thought they were too tight. So, I immediately backed my Heavy Japans one size up. Now, those (sized-up) Heavy Japans only get worn on the coldest of days with long underwear. THESE JEANS STRETCH!

I've seen a couple of you guys giving a go at the slim fits. I'm thinking of doing the same. Although the Gustin straights are the slimmest jeans I've worn to date, every time I look in the mirror I can't help but think, "these jeans are kind of baggy."

Here are my specs:
Height: 5'8"
Weight: ~145 lbs (150 lbs in the winter)
Waist: 31" (true waist)

Should I go with my favorite straight-cut size (size 29), or should I go up one (size 30)?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Below are photos (from yesterday) of my Classics (size 29). I've been wearing them a couple days per week since early June '13. I haven't soaked or washed them, yet. Yes, they do pass the smell test. I've tricked my girlfriend into participating in the experiment, "Hey honey, does this fabric softener smell funny?"

I always get the same answer: "I don't smell anything."

inC4E2G.jpg
tWO75rY.jpg
oFDtzer.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Plastik

New in Town
Hey fellows,

This is my first post. I've been watching this board evolve over the past couple months. I too have become somewhat of a Gustin follower. I got my hands on the Early Bird special (Heavy Americans) and a pair of the Japan Classics #22, back when Gustin opened its online doors.

Since then, I've expanded my collection to include pairs of the Heavy Japan and Indigo2. All of which have been in the straight fit.

When I got my hands ... errr ... legs into the initial purchase, I thought they were too tight. So, I immediately backed my Heavy Japans one size up. Now, those (sized-up) Heavy Japans only get worn on the coldest of days with long underwear. THESE JEANS STRETCH!

I've seen a couple of you guys giving a go at the slim fits. I'm thinking of doing the same. Although the Gustin straights are the slimmest jeans I've worn to date, every time I look in the mirror I can't help but think, "these jeans are kind of baggy."

Here are my specs:
Height: 5'8"
Weight: ~145 lbs (150 lbs in the winter)
Waist: 31" (true waist)

Should I go with my favorite straight-cut size (size 29), or should I go up one (size 30)?

Thanks for the help.

Sean

Below are photos (from yesterday) of my Classics (size 29). I've been wearing them a couple days per week since early June '13. I haven't soaked or washed them, yet. Yes, they do pass the smell test. I've tricked my girlfriend into participating in the experiment, "Hey honey, does this fabric softener smell funny?"

I always get the same answer: "I don't smell anything."

inC4E2G.jpg
tWO75rY.jpg
oFDtzer.jpg

I really don't like purchasing straights just because of the fact of baggy-ness. However, with your fit pics, I wouldn't have known that they were straight. They look really good on you, too.

Mr P

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
I agree, I think that sizing is good. Ideally you would be able to try on both sizes, and then decide. I ordered 2 pairs, and was happy with the first time fit. After a few wears, they are super baggy, and I just don't know if the size down would be too tight...

winterland1

Practically Family
After buying 4 pairs you would be the best person to decide on waist size. I do say go for the slim if you feel straights are a little baggy. I have 30 slim black2 and I love the fit. I don't like skinny jeans.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eusa_doh: These are baggy? Excuse me while I get back into my own parallel universe. :bolt:

I keep coming back fro this thread for workshirts (not just button down) but gave up the hope for a high waisted vintage inspred jeans.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This one. They seem to have nice fabrics.

(BTW Freddies stopped their 40s cut before I bought one. Silly me!)

Last edited:

andy b.

One of the Regulars
Sean,

I know what you're talking about. I thought no way would skinny jeans be a good fit, so I went with the Gustin Straight fit. I think the next time there is a Grab Bag with my size, I'm going to try a Slim fit.

Oh, and I have found that if you do a cold wash, the inseam and waist will shrink about 1", but the waist will stretch right back out. The other measurements such as thigh and knee will shrink about 1/2", and they don't really stretch back. I only mention this because you may want to do a cold wash on the jeans in the photos before making a decision. Well, unless you plan on never washing your jeans, in that case go by how they currently feel.

photosean

New in Town
Thanks, Andy. I think that's the best advice ... decide after the initial wash. Those numbers are worth waiting for. I didn't realize the sanforized denim had this much potential for shrinkage. It's been about 9 months since my first pair of Gustins arrived in the mail. If I hadn't obtained the other pairs and mixed them into my rotation, I would know by now.

Before Gustin, I wore mostly 501 STFs (selvedge and non-selvedge). The Gustin straight fits are considerably straighter/slimmer than my 501s. However, after looking through forums and countless photographs of Gustin's denim over the past year, I've come to appreciate a more fitted, slimmer look.

On that note, user photographs of the slims run the gamut - from skinny to almost indistinguishable from the straight cut. I'm interested in the more modest/straighter spectrum of Gustin's slim fit. I figured before I give it a try, I'd ask if anyone else went through the same process: coming from the straight fit and transitioning to slims, and how he decided on the size.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe