Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shadowtek

New in Town
View attachment IMG_7233.jpeg
This is my green jacket. I really love it and it’s a color that fits me well. It’s a company called Gipsy by Mauritius from Germany but the jacket is made in Pakistan. They make a big deal in their sustainability https://mauritiusleather.com/pages/sustainability. It also is veg tan and has a tag indicating such that it’s lamb leather or Rose Lamb which I’m not sure what that means? It has some interesting grain not like most designer jackets with no patterns or grain and even warns of oddities in the leather like scratch or branding marks. So it’s obviously not an Aero, Thedi or Schott etc but as a designer jacket I feel like that’s not bad. The leather isn’t paper thin but isn’t super thick either. It’s thicker then my lamb from Florence but thinner then my Schott with cow. It has the nice leather smell and the veg tanning might be helping with not having that chemical smell. It is dyed a dark green and black and the cotton interior lining will probably shred in a few years but for around $225(on sale from $400) I feel like it’s very alright. Anyone have any experience with them or can tell by looking if it’s decent quality? The YKK zippers are pretty thick which was a nice touch to me.

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 630910
This is my green jacket. I really love it and it’s a color that fits me well. It’s a company called Gipsy by Mauritius from Germany but the jacket is made in Pakistan. They make a big deal in their sustainability https://mauritiusleather.com/pages/sustainability. It also is veg tan and has a tag indicating such that it’s lamb leather or Rose Lamb which I’m not sure what that means? It has some interesting grain not like most designer jackets with no patterns or grain and even warns of oddities in the leather like scratch or branding marks. So it’s obviously not an Aero, Thedi or Schott etc but as a designer jacket I feel like that’s not bad. The leather isn’t paper thin but isn’t super thick either. It’s thicker then my lamb from Florence but thinner then my Schott with cow. It has the nice leather smell and the veg tanning might be helping with not having that chemical smell. It is dyed a dark green and black and the cotton interior lining will probably shred in a few years but for around $225(on sale from $400) I feel like it’s very alright. Anyone have any experience with them or can tell by looking if it’s decent quality? The YKK zippers are pretty thick which was a nice touch to me.

Haha, thanks for the throwback in time! I used to own a Gipsy my Mauritius jacket in orange leather some 25 years ago. It may even be lying around somewhere at my mother’s place. I used to really love it, but then I knew nothing about leathers and had little means to educate myself.

I wouldn’t look at them today. The leather looks unimpressiv, and the styles are generic. It’s a mass product and priced accordingly. Nothing wrong with liking them, but for I view it as a “budget Belstaff“.
You already own a Schott, so you have a good comparison in terms of leather weight/temper.

shadowtek

New in Town
Haha, thanks for the throwback in time! I used to own a Gipsy my Mauritius jacket in orange leather some 25 years ago. It may even be lying around somewhere at my mother’s place. I used to really love it, but then I knew nothing about leathers and had little means to educate myself.

I wouldn’t look at them today. The leather looks unimpressiv, and the styles are generic. It’s a mass product and priced accordingly. Nothing wrong with liking them, but for I view it as a “budget Belstaff“.
You already own a Schott, so you have a good comparison in terms of leather weight/temper.
Yea that’s fair, thanks for the insight and glad I could help with the throwback haha

99Tjadams

New in Town
Breaking it in a day at a time

IMG_0521.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads