Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Edward

Bartender
Imports were quite popular here in Vancouver in the 80s/90s, that was how I was introduced to it, both two and four wheels. Affordable and can go fast by 80s/90s standards.
The Lewis dark green sheepskin is a really nice hide but I am not sure if it is the best choice for MC jackets. Plus their current marketing/pricing strategy isn't my cup of tea. I am just glad I got a jacket from them before all the major increase pricing transformation. The it's expensive therefore it must be the best marketing strategy has spread fast... unfortunately.

Agreed on all counts! I've been promising myself a Lightning made to 1958 spec (i.e. no outer logo, no forearm pocket - the latter more important to me than the former) for some time, but now they're up over a grand sterling it's unlikely I'll be able to justify it going forward. More chance of compromising on the spec and buying a used one if it cam up at the right time and in my size.

I'd love to know how many Lewis jackets actually get bought to be worn as riding jackets. They did do a run of 70s style padded cafe racers and Supermonzas with Urban Rider in the UK a few years ago, in the horse with pockets for d30 armour. You do still see them among the revivalist crowd around the Ace Cafe and the likes, though I suspect that'll be more limited as prices rise and other brands with back-in-the-day associations appear. GoldTop have been very clever imo at catching on to the retro style for modern use market. I suspect if Lewis really saw that as where they wanted to go, though, they'd have done it long ago.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
GoldTop have been very clever imo at catching on to the retro style for modern use market. I suspect if Lewis really saw that as where they wanted to go, though, they'd have done it long ago.
Makes my wonder why LL jacket have to be almost 3x the price of Goldtop. Are Goldtop jackets produced in Pakistan?

IMG_9954.jpeg
IMG_9955.jpeg
IMG_9956.jpeg

Edward

Bartender
Makes my wonder why LL jacket have to be almost 3x the price of Goldtop. Are Goldtop jackets produced in Pakistan?

View attachment 610900 View attachment 610901 View attachment 610902

I don't know exactly where they manufacture, to be honest. As memory serves they did in the past state it wasn't China. For the UK market, Pakistan is probably the most likely alterative, as that's been a source of leathers both fashion and motorcycle here really since the UK industry started to collapse in the 80s, just behind the collapse of the UK motorcycle industry itself.

Wherever the make them, though, the quality is certainly impressive, and I've yet to see anything that can match them as a dedicated motorcycle PPE outfit which doesn't significantly compromise their style. The only pity is that they haven't (yet) rolled out the full range of leather colours across all their range. Something like the 58 would look great in the midnight blue, but it's only the 70s style jackets they seem to be doing in the colours other than tan and black. To be fair, that also reflects the fact that these later styles were when the British brands in the 70s did start introducing a much wider range of colours as options, so there's that. I did once see a Lewis Lightning in blaze orange, with fringing. It was..... not an option I'd have chosen for myself. Of note, though, Goldtop will do a level of customisation at an upcharge, and they did tell me before that that could include getting a jacket made up in one of their other leather colours than they make available stock.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Agreed on all counts! I've been promising myself a Lightning made to 1958 spec (i.e. no outer logo, no forearm pocket - the latter more important to me than the former) for some time, but now they're up over a grand sterling it's unlikely I'll be able to justify it going forward. More chance of compromising on the spec and buying a used one if it cam up at the right time and in my size.

I'd love to know how many Lewis jackets actually get bought to be worn as riding jackets. They did do a run of 70s style padded cafe racers and Supermonzas with Urban Rider in the UK a few years ago, in the horse with pockets for d30 armour. You do still see them among the revivalist crowd around the Ace Cafe and the likes, though I suspect that'll be more limited as prices rise and other brands with back-in-the-day associations appear. GoldTop have been very clever imo at catching on to the retro style for modern use market. I suspect if Lewis really saw that as where they wanted to go, though, they'd have done it long ago.
With a strap on back brace most jackets can be sufficient enough I think. Plus in the city it's really hard to get up to damaging speed or situations. Most car/bike accidents here are from turning at the intersection. The car always tries to beat the yellow light and never sees the two wheel and bam. The traffic has gotten quite bad here summer road constructions is just around the corner too.
I mean I can understand why Lewis adopted the new pricing strategy, but when trying to get one $2000 customer they might have lost a few $1200 customer. Time will tell I guess.

Edward

Bartender
With a strap on back brace most jackets can be sufficient enough I think. Plus in the city it's really hard to get up to damaging speed or situations. Most car/bike accidents here are from turning at the intersection. The car always tries to beat the yellow light and never sees the two wheel and bam. The traffic has gotten quite bad here summer road constructions is just around the corner too.
I mean I can understand why Lewis adopted the new pricing strategy, but when trying to get one $2000 customer they might have lost a few $1200 customer. Time will tell I guess.

There are certainly other options for PPE, yes - the Bowtex armoured Kevlar underwear is the cleverest one I've seen - then pretty much anything can be worn on a bike and the rider still be safe from a spill. The bonus of having it built in to the jacket, though, is if you're in and out of it rather than in the saddle all day. I think too something that can be just thrown on without thinking is more likely to be used than left on the floor at home because "just popping out a few minutes to....". No doubt, though, the biggest threat to riders today is drivers who don't understand motorcycles.

It's going to be interesting to see what happens with Lewis. Looks like they've made a similar jump as Eastman did, in terms of pricing structure and target market.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters