Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Giant Pith Helmet Thread of Doom

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That time of year again. Yard cleanup day/weekend. VillageHatShop big head French model from 18 years ago. Still thinking of a modern plastic USMC/postal carrier helmet to graffiti up like the old advertisement helmets from the 40’s-60’s.
IMG_4390.jpeg
IMG_4391.jpeg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Just when I was thinking there was reason to be optimistic I found this thread and . . .

OK, I think we can all agree that a big tent over your head to protect you from radiation is a good thing

RickP

One of the Regulars
Someone suggested I leave this over here in addition to the "post new hats" section.

In 1975 I caught a summer of temporary duty at the USMC Quantico, Va firearms group doing firearms familizaration training with Officer Candidates As part of the staff, I got to wear this exact hat for firing line work. (borrowed from a buddy there who had two.) Talked to him a couple weeks ago and mentioned my hat addiction and how cool that fiber helmet was. He said he still had both of them, and last week he sent me the one I had borrowed!!! A few stains for being in the bottom of a west texas closet for 40 yrs, but its MINE. That hole in the middle of the inside was there back when I borrowed it. lol. Should make a great lawn mowing hat. The leather chinstrap is missing, but Im not sure it ever had one. Everything else is there, and in decent shape (In case anyone has a spare chinstrap message me). Glad I still have All my old uniform brass to screw a EGA on front.
Compress_20240603_114452_2134.jpg
Compress_20240603_114451_1274.jpg
Compress_20240603_114451_1746.jpg
I DID have to sacrifice a showlace to replace the rotted adjustment string in back)

RickP

One of the Regulars
Neat story!! They were NOT wearing them in teh early 80's when I went through OCS.
When I was there, they were primarily used on Black Flag heat days (Of coarse at Quantico during the summer, there were quite a few of those. When I went through the PLC jr class in 76 and Sr in 78 there were few to be seen... Pretty much just the HMFIC for the day lol

fireman

One of the Regulars
When I was there, they were primarily used on Black Flag heat days (Of coarse at Quantico during the summer, there were quite a few of those. When I went through the PLC jr class in 76 and Sr in 78 there were few to be seen... Pretty much just the HMFIC for the day lol
I did summer 82/83, second session. Quantico in Aug? Seems like they were all black days. At least no one died. When my dad went through in 52/53 he had 3 guys die due to heat.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Someone suggested I leave this over here in addition to the "post new hats" section.

In 1975 I caught a summer of temporary duty at the USMC Quantico, Va firearms group doing firearms familizaration training with Officer Candidates As part of the staff, I got to wear this exact hat for firing line work. (borrowed from a buddy there who had two.) Talked to him a couple weeks ago and mentioned my hat addiction and how cool that fiber helmet was. He said he still had both of them, and last week he sent me the one I had borrowed!!! A few stains for being in the bottom of a west texas closet for 40 yrs, but its MINE. That hole in the middle of the inside was there back when I borrowed it. lol. Should make a great lawn mowing hat. The leather chinstrap is missing, but Im not sure it ever had one. Everything else is there, and in decent shape (In case anyone has a spare chinstrap message me). Glad I still have All my old uniform brass to screw a EGA on front.
View attachment 619014 View attachment 619015 View attachment 619016 I DID have to sacrifice a showlace to replace the rotted adjustment string in back)
Well i’m jealous!!
I coached re-qual one in year 74-75? at the rifle range, not Quantico and we didn’t get any hats.
We did get to go home early and not wait in line forever checking in the rifles at the armory though.
If we had, idda stole it and still have it!!
Musta been an Officer thing.
B

RickP

One of the Regulars
Im guessing it had to do with Maj Land still being there at Scout Sniper back then.. He wanted thing just a bit different for HIS school (and it WAS His)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum