Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

J. Hückel´s Söhne Zephyr Seal Velour, size 7 3/8, color black, very good condition, made for the American market, probably late 1930s. This beautiful hat was graciously offered to me by M_Jones (Hollis), a long time FL poster and collector of fine hats. In my opinion JHS produced the finest Velour finishes.

7907701288_c539bcbfa0_b.jpg

7907710794_2c89ccfd4d_b.jpg

7907575046_4d2a66b253_b.jpg

7909662044_d14552e6e7_b.jpg

7907540706_4cd04db47d_b.jpg

7907549102_09b91f3cca_b.jpg

7907546060_321d9f5c3f_b.jpg

Vent (similar to Borsalino)

7907519032_d1004f6e11_b.jpg

Last edited:
Ed, Thanks!

Ed & Nik, I used the Insert Video feature plus URL. Here is the HTML (add left and right brackets):

video=vimeo;36081008]http://vimeo.com/36081008[/video

Last edited:

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
Steve, this Velour is simply amazing. The images show so well how pliable the felt must be. Thank you for posting these wonderful pics.

Manfred, I just thought I take some photos with the traditional look. It also looks nice with the brim snapped plus tighter pinch.

Nik, The felt is super pliable and has a fantastic feel in hand.

Erich Johann

New in Town
So I visited my town's Hutladen. They said I was lucky since they had just gotten winter season stock. When I asked for the old timey style, i.e. higher crown etc., they said it was not fashionable at the moment and so they do not have any hats in that direction (albeit the owner said she had had some a couple of years back; no "old" old stock, though). I could compare a Borsalino Homburg and one from Mayser. Even if the modern-day Borsalinos are not like those many years ago, the one I held seemd a league of its own in comparison with the Mayser. The latter's felt was really coarse in comparison to the Borsalino's; the stitching seemed not as intricate; and the bow work was also not as nice. She also showed me other Homburgs (one Stetson, I think) but they also did not measure up to the Borsalino.

The owner told me that they were mostly catering to the outdoor crowd these days. Their dress hats were only a small section in comparison with loads of different styles of caps, outback-type hats, and straw hats from the summer season. There was just not a market in a middle-sized town for more dressy hats and especially not for ones with a vintage appeal--if at all, people would be going for low profile, small-brimmed hats. They only had a few Borsalinos (I guess they are too expensive for the average customer), a lot of Stetsons, some Mayser, though I did not examine every shelf. I asked if they could, for example, order other Borsalino models, but she said they can only do bulk orders. It seems they are quite dependent on seasonal styles.

By the way, asking for a "Fedora"-type hat did not help ... Only after I specified high(er) crown and wide(r) brim, she said, "Oh, so you are looking for Bogart-style hats."

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Erich, there is no market for Vintage Hats in Germany! Most dress Hats are wool. The few felt hats, are most trekking and outdoor hats.
If you search for good old Vintage Hats look at Ebay germany, USA, Italy for borsalino, barbisio etc.. or etsy! You will find a lot nice hats!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I asked if they could, for example, order other Borsalino models, but she said they can only do bulk orders. It seems they are quite dependent on seasonal styles.

By the way, asking for a "Fedora"-type hat did not help ... Only after I specified high(er) crown and wide(r) brim, she said, "Oh, so you are looking for Bogart-style hats."

Unfortunately, that's no surprise. Targeting at the fashion-oriented crowd makes them dependent on the quirks of fashion. A swing of the pendulum back towards full, high crowns is not to be expected any time soon here in Germany.

So I visited my town's Hutladen. They said I was lucky since they had just gotten winter season stock. When I asked for the old timey style, i.e. higher crown etc., they said it was not fashionable at the moment and so they do not have any hats in that direction (albeit the owner said she had had some a couple of years back; no "old" old stock, though). I could compare a Borsalino Homburg and one from Mayser. Even if the modern-day Borsalinos are not like those many years ago, the one I held seemd a league of its own in comparison with the Mayser. The latter's felt was really coarse in comparison to the Borsalino's; the stitching seemed not as intricate; and the bow work was also not as nice. She also showed me other Homburgs (one Stetson, I think) but they also did not measure up to the Borsalino.

The owner told me that they were mostly catering to the outdoor crowd these days. Their dress hats were only a small section in comparison with loads of different styles of caps, outback-type hats, and straw hats from the summer season. There was just not a market in a middle-sized town for more dressy hats and especially not for ones with a vintage appeal--if at all, people would be going for low profile, small-brimmed hats. They only had a few Borsalinos (I guess they are too expensive for the average customer), a lot of Stetsons, some Mayser, though I did not examine every shelf. I asked if they could, for example, order other Borsalino models, but she said they can only do bulk orders. It seems they are quite dependent on seasonal styles.

Mayser still has a few hat models that are fairly nice. The City Finale being one of them which I posted on this thread. The Homburg models look to be more hippster oriented. Borsalino is the only production hat company (excluding Western styles) that can still sell at the higher end (doesn't matter the country). There are some very nice hat stores in Germany but they will be limitted (compared to vintage or custom) just like the better ones here in America.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken