Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Mario

I'll Lock Up
You weren't kidding when you said it is intensely black. It appears that it hasn't faded at all through the years. I don't think there is any argument that the Austrians made the best velours in the world, and that one is no exception. AMAZING hat!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

My 20's/30's Austrian GJM velour also still has this incredibly jet black felt. But like Steve I had to replace the ribbon, which I did with charcoal gray vintage grosgrain and a blueish gray accent in the bow. The gray/blue combo makes for a beautiful contrast with the pitch black color of the felt.

gjm_new_ribbon.jpg

Mario, Nice to see your G.J.M. Austrian Velour again! BTW I am still trying to decode G.J.M.!

Side Note:

My JHS Sigma Foulard had the original non-reeded sweatband (only hanging on by a few threads) and ribbon. I had Optimo do the restore and they said the ribbon had to go because of the reblock. I shouldn't have let that happen but they did do a good job with the new ribbon / bow.

Last edited:

Mario

I'll Lock Up
Yes, I also failed trying to gather information on G.J.M./Machland. I could try and call the tourist board for directions but I'm afraid that they'll only try to book me into one of ther hotels or something. ;)

P. & C. Habig Wien Velour, size 57cm but fits perfect, hat store was in Riga. This one was missing the liner and ribbon so had it restored by Optimo. It's definitely pre 1940 and could actually be from around WWI. This is the first pre 1940 soft felt P. & C. Habig Wien that I have encountered. Majors props go to Josh for the tip.

7068896673_b9ec20eaa4_b.jpg

6922816756_3925a6e076_b.jpg

7068883049_d03663de3d_b.jpg

6922804930_025b51986a_b.jpg

6922806604_3a638f9b70_b.jpg

7068886437_ae701f6da4_b.jpg

6882266443_1169852531_z.jpg

Last edited:

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Nice Ebay buy. Old Classic Mayser Grand Prix in very good Condition.
The shape, looks very classic for me. You can it also wear, with brim down.
I think mid 50s. Low Price 5,50 EUR

mayserclassic.jpg

mayserclassic1.jpg

mayserclassic6.jpg

mayserclassic3.jpg

mayserclassic4.jpg

mayserclassic5.jpg

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
The Rehfus & Cie ZEPHIR Melone arrived today.
Weight 70g double Ventilated EXTRA EXTRA QUALITY
Outside condition is very good. Inside worn. Size 55,5 cm. A little bit to small.

rehfusmelone.jpg

rehfusmelone1.jpg

rehfusmelone7.jpg

rehfusmelone8.jpg

rehfusmelone4.jpg

rehfusmelone5.jpg

rehfusmelone6.jpg

Manfred, Great deal with the Mayser! I really like the ribbon width and bow design. Sorry about the Rehfus & Cie ZEPHIR being too small. It looks fantastic. The interior condition is good for the age. Is there a paper label behind the sweatband?

My guess is 1920s or older.

Regarding stretching -> I would pay special attention to the brim. You have to watch out for brim distortion. I would apply enough steam to loosen it up. You may be able to get away with putting it on and letting it cool and stiffen.

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Very shapely Melone.

If it is a fully stiff Melone the felt has no ability to stretch, it will reach a stress point, then split(tear). You may be able to ease a bit more size from the sweatband, but the stitching may well tear out. Tiny increments and extreme caution are warranted, and don't expect to add more than a small increase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken