Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
This one by Huber would be great if it weren't for the moth bites, made of Mohair
$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

$_12.JPG

Paddy, Great finds! I have a Hückel Clipper and it's a fun hat to wear. I believe Manfred has / had one too. The Huber is really fantastic. It's too bad it has some mothing. I believe I have come across the Huber make before but need to check.

Update: I have a Trachten Hubertus and my hatter friend from Germany thought this mark was associated with Friedrich W. Schneider GmbH & Co. KG, Cologne (currently own Stetson Europe). By the way I would say your Huber is late 50s (same with the Hückel Weilheim Clipper).

13066077555_004e7ed5fe_o.jpg

Last edited:

MrCairo

Familiar Face
Great stuff, Manfred. Dusseldorf isn't that far away, perhaps I should check out the flea market there some day - though I already get dizzy in the (much smaller) one here in Rotterdam...

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Mr.Cairo.
We should meet us there and I can help you If you will be dizzy. Haha
This flea market is every month on Sunday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nice Manfred. What kind of prices generally for hats in your flea markets? Still good deals or sellers are more aware of value?

Anyone heard of the brand Super Boreal? It was sold by a hatter in Baden, Switzerland and I found it in a Barcelona flea market :). I'll post it here when I get back to London.

MrCairo

Familiar Face
By the way, anybody got some more information on the Nobleza? Here are pictures of the logo and label again:

20140304_124537.jpg

20140304_150830.jpg

Anyone heard of the brand Super Boreal? It was sold by a hatter in Baden, Switzerland and I found it in a Barcelona flea market :). I'll post it here when I get back to London.

That name doesn't come up in any of my Swiss hat company lists (also nothing listed for Baden, Switzerland). I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

Last edited:
That name doesn't come up in any of my Swiss hat company lists (also nothing listed for Baden, Switzerland). I would definitely be interested in seeing it.

Cool. In lieu of pictures (to come later today) the brand, as I say, is Super Boreal with Dépose under the main manufacturer's sweatband mark, and the hatter's mark states Chapellerie W. Kaufmann Baden. I'm assuming this is Baden, Switzerland, and not some kind of weird reference to the Grand Duchy. There was originally a sticker in the top of the unlined crown. There is a mark for the sweatband maker, which I will have to photoshop to read as I can only see some of it, the rest being faded. The sweatband also has a cryptic price mark Rmt 12,-. Anyone know who would have used this kind of designation? The "1" in this mark is "German style" with ascender beginning at the baseline, also a comma instead of a period. The sweatband bears typical European lead initial "cabochons".

I am certain that the hat dates to the 1920s or early 1930s. Though it has a page from a Swiss sports magazine from 1948 behind the sweatband to reduce size (scan/photo coming later, too), this would have been introduced later, and would not likely have been put in at the time of purchase.

Last edited:
That is a really super hat (interesting felt blend) and series of photos! I agree it's 1930s or older. Super Boreal (French Swiss or French?) seems to ring a bell but I can't place it. Robert (RLK) might know something. I assume W. Kaufmann was the retailer.

Yes, I assume Kaufmann is the retailer. I've found a couple more Super Boreal hats on Ricardo and none anywhere else, so they seem to be Swiss French rather than French French.

Felt blend? If you mean the grey/white in amongst the predominant black, that's just the cloud of cat fur that awaited our return. Uncle Wojtek didn't do any hoovering while looking after the cats!:eusa_doh:;)

ForkHats.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82