Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

German & Austrian Hutmachers

Ebreichsdorfer Heimatmuseum has a permanent Hat making exhibition. S. & J. Fraenkel A.-G. factory was located in Ebreichsdorfer. The following link has a great set of early 20th century photos of the factory (scroll to the bottom and view in full screen mode).

http://www.heimatmuseum-ebreichsdorf.com/dauerausstellungen-im-museum/der-filzhut/

6588310365_6f3a939cfa_b.jpg

Hugo Fraenkel was the long time editor of Österreichisch-ungarische Hutmacher-Zeitung and Österreichisch Hutmacher-Zeitung.

Österreichisch-ungarische Hutmacher-Zeitung (December 1, 1912)

6588307913_7865241bfe_b.jpg

yttclothing

One of the Regulars
I'm guessing this is German / Austrian as it came in with a group of German hats but does anyone recognise the branding

8735319144_33078b8744_z.jpg

8735318544_ee1113a038_z.jpg

8734198813_8891e094f3_z.jpg

8735321302_d0b86bee40_z.jpg

No Labels under the sweatband, to me it looks like an eagle which would make me think of USA but I never get hats from the USA always from Europe and mostly German, hat are your thoughts?

I don't think it's American. I am not familiar with the mark. Is there any writing below the eagle on the sweatband? Also can you take a close up of what is left of the crown tip patch?

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A great thread with some lovely hats.

As someone with a large noggin (61) finding something vintage that doesn't need work seems a rarity, so I wondered what the contemporary Wegener quality was like?

A great thread with some lovely hats.

As someone with a large noggin (61) finding something vintage that doesn't need work seems a rarity, so I wondered what the contemporary Wegener quality was like?

I heard most Wegener hats are not made in house anymore. The ones made in house (will say "Ein Natuprodukt Handgefertigt in Deutschland" ) are of good quality compared to other modern production hats. Apparently Wegener will take special orders. Check out this blog for more information (you can run it through Google translator).

http://bernhardroetzelblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/einzeln-und-auf-wunsch-gefertigt-hut.html

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I heard most Wegener hats are not made in house anymore. The ones made in house (will say "Ein Natuprodukt Handgefertigt in Deutschland" ) are of good quality compared to other modern production hats...

Thank you. A little more googling found Wegener Homburgs in Tails & The Unexpected's end-of-line sale at a price I couldn't resist

http://www.tailsandtheunexpected.com/end-of-line-15/homburg-hat-grey.html

It looks a nice hat and from this description sounds like it may be made in house.

Now I've just got to explain to my wife when another hat turns up at that the house that it was essential to my well being ;-)

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
" Die gute Breitermütze " is arrived in an nice beige fabric.What a great Cap! It's definitely from the 30s.
Inside in like new condition, outside some soiling. It's larger then 55. I guess a 57-58.
Some fast photos. I will take some better photos if I have a bit more time.

breitermtze5.jpg

" Die gute Breitermütze " is arrived in an nice beige fabric.What a great Cap! It's definitely from the 30s.
Inside in like new condition, outside some soiling. It's larger then 55. I guess a 57-58.
Some fast photos. I will take some better photos if I have a bit more time.

Manfred, Fantastic! It appears to fit nicely. I really like the detail work and fabric! I do not detect any soiling from the photos. Very rare find!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg