Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

General Payment Question

Martinezine

New in Town
Hey all,
I had a comment the other day from @Peacoat, regarding payment etiquette. He suggested that PP “Friends and Family” should not be used but rather PP “Goods and Services”.

I have bought here with success using PP F&F before and have seen many known users on this forum using F&F, and recently have posted some A2s for sale with F&F as a payment method.

My question is, what is consensus here on the best payment transfer method? (Apologies if this question has already been broached.)

Thanks,
Michael

Biff42

A-List Customer
For someone new in town such as yourself with no sales history (not saying you have none), I'd use goods and services and pay the % increase of the transaction as the buyer. As long as the buyer pays the fee I'm not sure why it would matter to the seller either way.

Edit to add that I'd avoid Zelle like the plague because my understanding is that once that money transfers it's gone.

Shawnziee

Familiar Face
I 100% agree I have paid the 12% fee before just to make sure I have some kind of protection,... I have also used the FF for many sales and purchases with 100% success but, they were all known members. When I was new, I would buy from well-known members using FF knowing they are ok. Unfortunately, too many fake accounts and many issues that are going around.

Biff42

A-List Customer
It’s the IRS 1099 that is the problem, not the fee.

Right, but it doesn't necessarily mean the amount will be taxable. You'd have to file the same 1099 form through ebay as well, correct?

If your a new member with no history it's goods and services, otherwise, I'll purchase through ebay and get purchase protection.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
First of all we must realize that this place is a forum and not a marketplace. It is a fact that lately the forum has been inundated with new members who contribute nothing but items for sale. I know that this is not regarded as a problem by many but I think it has changed the character of the forum a bit.
I don't have an ebay or vinted account and the only few items I have for sale are here and on the VLJ forum. I would only sell F&F, except to long standing members with good reputation that I have interacted with for many years. In the past there have been cases here and in the VLJ where the sale went as Goods and Services, the buyer received the item and then claimed that he received an empty box. Paypal sided with the buyer and withdrew the amount from the seller's account. The seller was left with no item and no money.

Martinezine

New in Town
First of all we must realize that this place is a forum and not a marketplace. It is a fact that lately the forum has been inundated with new members who contribute nothing but items for sale. I know that this is not regarded as a problem by many but I think it has changed the character of the forum a bit.
I don't have an ebay or vinted account and the only few items I have for sale are here and on the VLJ forum. I would only sell F&F, except to long standing members with good reputation that I have interacted with for many years. In the past there have been cases here and in the VLJ where the sale went as Goods and Services, the buyer received the item and then claimed that he received an empty box. Paypal sided with the buyer and withdrew the amount from the seller's account. The seller was left with no item and no money.
I’ve read about this sort of scam and it is indeed unfortunate.

Tom71

Call Me a Cab

This!

Martinezine

New in Town
I appreciate the thoughtful responses and the learning from you all. This is great feedback and insight into the steps to take to mitigate risk when purchasing here via PayPal et al. I suppose for myself, at the end of the day, it really all comes down to intuition, and finally trust when pulling the trigger on anything in the virtual sphere.
Thanks again,
-M

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads