Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 or A2

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is this really a sensible or productive debate? Some prefer the A2 rather than the G-1, or the G-1 rather than the A2, others like them equally or don't like either of them. They were such different jackets. It all comes down to personal taste.

Creeping Past

One Too Many
For me it's at least as interesting as "What shoelaces are we wearing today?" or similar. ;)

But it's up to four pages, so some members are getting something out of it. [huh]

aswatland

I would be more interested in reading about original G-1s or A2s. So perhaps more members can post their pics of their originals?

JimWagner

Practically Family
I have a Cooper G-1 that is made to Navy specs and is identical to the one I was issued in the Navy in the 60's. I prefer the mouton collar over a leather one for comfort reasons. And it doesn't sweat-stain like a leather collar will. The extra length (over an A-1) means it doesn't ride up while sitting and driving.

kampkatz

Practically Family
It is amusing that someone here would have to choose between a G-1 and an A-2 when most of us have several A-2s or several G-1s and would not try to choose a favorite among the different manufacturers. I wore my Navy issued G-1 for years because that's was part of our uniform. It served it's purpose well. If we were issued A-2's instead we would have been satisfied with them. Having the luxury to own whatever types and quantities we choose need not become a contest. Why does there always have to be a winner and loser? I'll wear the G-1 when I want(there is a nostalgic reason there) and the A-2 when it seems more to my liking for the moment.
Paul

442RCT

One of the Regulars
CBI said:
we are lucky that most if not all of us can have both, that said, I think the G-1 is a better more functional jacket but for looks, the A-2 wins hands down. Also, I love painted jacket art and the A-2 was the painted jacket of WWII.

+1 Couldn't agree with you more. I don't have one yet, but the ANJ-3, a G-1 with an A-2 collar would be the best of both jackets for me. [huh]

Papa M

A-List Customer
kampkatz said:
.... most of us have several A-2s or several G-1s .....

I'm interested to know if this is really true. I only have one G1 and two A2s. And yet most of my friends think that I am absolutely bonkers for owning a total of about 15 leather jackets, approx 15 denim jackets and another 20 or thereabouts assorted fabric jackets.

Do most contributors to this forum really own numerous A2s and G1s?

aswatland

Papa M said:
I'm interested to know if this is really true. I only have one G1 and two A2s. And yet most of my friends think that I am absolutely bonkers for owning a total of about 15 leather jackets, approx 15 denim jackets and another 20 or thereabouts assorted fabric jackets.

Probably not. However, I have owned G1s in the past but currently own 13 original A2s and 5 repros.

Edward

Bartender
Papa M said:

I own one reproduction of each style. Eventually, I might like to add an Aero Real Deal in russett with rust knits, but that's way down the priority list, after a whole bunch of civilian jackets. I have no interest in owning an original jacket, simply as I wouldn't be comfortable wearing something as valuable and irreplaceble as that out and about all the time, and I can't justify either the investment or storage space for something I won't wear.

Papa M

A-List Customer
aswatland said:
..currently own 13 original A2s and 5 repros.

From the short period of time that I have been following this forum I had sussed-out that you are a very serious and knowledgable collector.

For some reason I expected Edward to also be in possession of many originals.

Personally I'm very happy to stick to repros, unless I happen to stumble across an original at a very reasonable price.

ron521

One of the Regulars
If forced to choose between those two, I'd have to go with the G1, just because of the bi-swing and gussets, which give so much more range of unrestricted motion.
When shopping for a flight jacket in the early 80's , I couldn't find authentic G1's or A2's anywhere. I finally found a good substitute at Berman's, a terrific non-distressed cowhide flight jacket with bi-swing, gussets, and with a detachable "fur" collar.
With the collar on, it's a good G1 style, with the collar off, it looks like an improved A2. VERY comfortable to wear, and has proven to be durable as well.
I still own and wear it 27 years later.
Schott makes something very similar, their 184SM, which I also own.

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
It appears this thread is more about styling and functionality as practical fashion. An 'A-2' or 'G-1' in genuine/repro/bastardized civvy mode seems to be up for discussion. If that's where the thread heads then let it go that way. Should be plenty of room and there seems plenty of observation and opinion. Not original hence moot??? Naw...not a bit. Toss the bible Andrew and let 'em run free! JNT

Johnnynotoes

Familiar Face
No offense to either the venerable originals or you Andrew. You're a lucky man to have the means to pursue your preferences. I think the evolution of the style however can be a valid topic for discussion. The two jackets apparently do have their fans and detractors and perhaps did in the field as well. [Well maybe between those few pilots lucky enough to have come across both of them] Anyway it was probably the post war homage in the public market with manufacturers civvies that led to the original grails being hailed as they are today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton