Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

G1 or A2

Edward

Bartender
I like both. I really like the neat fit that the G1 style allows with the gussetted arms etc. The A2, though, shines, IMO, when the weather is just somewhat warmer - enough for the mouton collar to be a little too much. If memory serves, the lining in an A2 is also somewhat lighter?

Havana

One of the Regulars
I prefer the A2 for everyday wear and even for some dressier occassions. I prefer the G1 for colder weather and motorcycling because it's easier to move in and more accomodating for layering. I've never found the mouton collar to be a problem even in moderate weather.

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
Right now, I am a big goatskin fan. I have a goodwear Doniger in a russet goatskin at it has all the character and feel of a vintage jacket. As with all leathers, there is great variation in quality between manufacturers.

John Chapman seems to have the best goatskin around with Eastman a close second. I have found the greatest variation in horsehide with perhaps Buzz Rickson and RMNZ having the better quality hides.

On balance, I would say that a top quality goatskin is much more durable than any other hide IMHO. It is also less bulky and may be slightly more comfortable to wear.

As for A-2 versus G-1, they are very different jackets. I am concentrating on original G-1s at the moment but if it is your first jacket I would probably go for an A-2.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
My father had an A-2 in WWII, but I never saw it. He didn't much care for it and returned it to USAAF at the end of the war. On the other hand, I grew up only twenty miles from Cherry Point MCAS, so I saw a lot of G-1s when I was a kid. Maybe because of this the G-1 has always been the leather flight jacket for me.

I like A-2s. They have their place. They look great with khakis and a button down collar. But there is just something...rebellious...maybe even a touch disreputable about a G-1. You wear your A-2 when you go antique shopping with your wife....but you wear your G-1 when you go down to the roadhouse...alone.

AF

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
much study done on this fascinating question...

since this posting first went up i did not feel i had the background or expertise to weigh in...

since then i have buried myself in research and first hand inquiries into the material and materiel needed for an answer to such an apparently brash question; but upon broader reflection, a question that begs to be answered in such times as we live in today

since the original posting of this inquiry, i've spent the requisite thousands of dollars in purchasing examples of each of the 'at question' military specification objects of wear...examined them...worn them...reflected upon them...had various liquors and various women in them...and whilst wearing them (the jackets...okay, the women too)

the only answer that can be reached after seriously plumbing the deep philosophical implications of either choice, is the one i've reached below. it is a decision i feel i can live with, and hence am finally able to go public in my resolution of the matter.

for those who disagree, i pray you will have the openness in your hearts and minds to accept the broader values at play here, or at least not close the door on them...

in the end, the only answer i, or in fact ANY of you can reach on this matter is>>>

both.

sincerely, and i thank you for the opportunity to express my deep held beliefs,
johnnyjohnny

miles_archer

Familiar Face
The A2 is a really good looking jacket but between November and March I can't go to Barnes and Noble or the mall without seeing at least one guy wearing one. The G1 is at least a little less common, and the mouton collar feels luxurious.

GHQ1

One of the Regulars
Top repros = money well spent

miles_archer said:
I can't go to Barnes and Noble or the mall without seeing at least one guy wearing one.

And this is where you'll shine in your A-2 made by Goodwear, ELC, LW, G&B etc . . .because you'll know all those other jackets to be what they are . . .inferior copies . . . born from and died in . . .the mall . . . .

Edward

Bartender
Havana said:
I've never found the mouton collar to be a problem even in moderate weather.

I guess all my sweat glands must be round my neck.... lol It could also be psychosummatical - I've not ruled that out.

kojax

Practically Family
just give me my g-1 lambskin jacket i will be happy as a camper....i guess gibson-barnes is still working on it. i called friday on it.....

jack miranda

A-List Customer
A-2? G-1?

Crunchy or smooth? Just gimme the freakin' peanut butter! But, I like crunchy, er, A-2's best. That mouton collar on the G-1 always crowded my neck, like having a foreman stand over you while you work.

Peacoat

Bartender
Kojax, bad news about your G-1. I talked to G&B this afternoon. The back panel of the jacket got a rip in it when it was being taken across the shop to the zipper station. Not sure how it happened, but evidently the jacket rubbed against a stool and the lambskin just shredded. Should have gone with the goat. Baaaa.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Peacoat said:
Kojax, bad news about the G-1. I talked to G&B this afternoon. The back panel of the jacket got a rip in it when it was being taken across the shop to the zipper station. Not sure how it happened, but evidently the jacket rubbed against a stool and the lambskin just shredded. Should have gone with the goat. Baaaa.

Hey Peacoat sorry about your coat. It is people like you and Kojax that saved me from wasting my time on Lambskin. I am glad I returned mine. I got goatskin.

Today I had to stand in a wide open field at below zero temp for about an hour. I had a G-1 type on. Was nice and warm.:)

green papaya

One Too Many
I like the G1 best

the G1 is much more fuctional, you have much better freedom of movement, has a nice inside snap pocket, the mouton collar is nice to have when it gets chilly, I like the bi-swing back, heavy duty brass zipper, if I could only have one, I would get the G1 ;)

the A2 is not warm enough and feels too restrictive and has a light duty brass zipper

The A2 fits like a shirt

The G1 fits like a coat

miles_archer

Familiar Face
"because you'll know all those other jackets to be what they are . . .inferior copies"

...I'll know and no one else will care. The L.L.Bean Flying Tiger G-1 inspired jacket shown in my avatar (inspired jacket, flying in an authentic B-17), gets a lot of compliments. I have come to entertain no delusions that 99% of the population see no appreciable difference between said jacket and the B-3 I ordered from Aero. If it ever comes in and there people do respond more favorably I will definitely post about it...a cliff hanger!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton