Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

French Hats and makers.

Mossant Castor Hudson fedora in a grey colour called Ardoise (slate). Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at a fairly low 9,5cm at the center dent. The beaver felt is excellent and has a nice hand. Still deceiding if I want to wear this one brim up or down. Leaning towards brim up. Weighs 105 grams.

mossant castor ardoise_01.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_02.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_03.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_04.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_08.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_09.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_10.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_11.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_13.jpg

mossant castor ardoise_14.jpg

Collins&Fairbanks Co extra quality fedora in grey. Size 57 or 58 (not quite sure) with the bound brim a smidge under 7cm and the crown at an impressive 11,5cm at the center dent. There is a small label with a 5 on inside of the sweatband, but you can just about see the 1/8 on the lower right side of the label, so indeed either a 57 or a 58.
It really wanted the camber style it is in right now. The label tells us what we expected of this hat. It was actually made by Mossant and the colour is called Gris Lugano. There is a label with the JB logo stuck over the Mossant label though. JB being Jean Bourrel, a French manufacturer in its own right, and it is likely that in this case they were the wholeseller to Collins and Fairbanks. The hat has great styling and felt and weighs 106 grams. But is is too big for me (dang!).

collins fairbanks_01.jpg

collins fairbanks_02.jpg

collins fairbanks_03.jpg

collins fairbanks_04.jpg

collins fairbanks_05.jpg

collins fairbanks_06.jpg

collins fairbanks_07.jpg

collins fairbanks_08.jpg

collins fairbanks_09.jpg

collins fairbanks_10.jpg

PanosChris

Practically Family
Collins&Fairbanks Co extra quality fedora in grey. Size 57 or 58 (not quite sure) with the bound brim a smidge under 7cm and the crown at an impressive 11,5cm at the center dent. There is a small label with a 5 on inside of the sweatband, but you can just about see the 1/8 on the lower right side of the label, so indeed either a 57 or a 58.
It really wanted the camber style it is in right now. The label tells us what we expected of this hat. It was actually made by Mossant and the colour is called Gris Lugano. There is a label with the JB logo stuck over the Mossant label though. JB being Jean Bourrel, a French manufacturer in its own right, and it is likely that in this case they were the wholeseller to Collins and Fairbanks. The hat has great styling and felt and weighs 106 grams. But is is too big for me (dang!).

collins fairbanks_01.jpg

collins fairbanks_02.jpg

collins fairbanks_03.jpg

collins fairbanks_04.jpg

collins fairbanks_05.jpg

collins fairbanks_06.jpg

collins fairbanks_07.jpg

collins fairbanks_08.jpg

collins fairbanks_09.jpg

collins fairbanks_10.jpg
Simply Gorgeous! Pity about the size though, but you can't have it all I guess. Love it

Delion Fleuron F fedora in a blue colour I think is called Fulton. Size 59 according to the size label, but it fits more like a 57 to be honest. But it is another one that doesn't fit me. Generous raw edge brim at 7cm and a smidge and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Quite sturdy felt and it shows in the weight, which is 142 grams. The hand is lovely though.
Bonus feature is that it is dated: february 1st 1955.
First the outside.

delion fulton_01.jpg
delion fulton_02.jpg
delion fulton_03.jpg
delion fulton_04.jpg
delion fulton_05.jpg
delion fulton_06.jpg

MikeinRome

Practically Family

collins fairbanks_01.jpg

collins fairbanks_02.jpg

collins fairbanks_03.jpg

collins fairbanks_04.jpg

collins fairbanks_05.jpg

collins fairbanks_06.jpg

collins fairbanks_07.jpg

collins fairbanks_08.jpg

collins fairbanks_09.jpg

collins fairbanks_10.jpg
Stefan was kind enough to sell this hat to me. Feels like a French Whippet to me. 2 1/2 inch brim and 6 inch open crown.

Last edited:
GL homburg hat in Aubergine. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. The crown patch suggests it's branded LG instead of GL, but it stands for Galleries Lafayette, the department store that is still in business today. Somehow I think this hat could have been made by Mossant. I bought it for the colour, which is one I've never seen before on a homburg (or a fedora for that matter).

GL aubergine_01.jpg

GL aubergine_02.jpg

GL aubergine_03.jpg

GL aubergine_04.jpg

GL aubergine_05.jpg

GL aubergine_06.jpg

GL aubergine_07.jpg

GL aubergine_08.jpg

GL aubergine_09.jpg

GL aubergine_10.jpg

I actually have one of these in blue, but these are such great hats I had to pick this one up as well.
Morreton Velrex velour feodra in black. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Wonderful shape and great hand to the felt of this velour felt. Fairly lightweight for a velour at 114 grams.

morreton velrex noir_01.jpg

morreton velrex noir_02.jpg

morreton velrex noir_03.jpg

morreton velrex noir_04.jpg

morreton velrex noir_05.jpg

morreton velrex noir_06.jpg

morreton velrex noir_07.jpg

morreton velrex noir_08.jpg

morreton velrex noir_10.jpg

morreton velrex noir_11.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
GL homburg hat in Aubergine. Size 56 with the bound brim at 6cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. The crown patch suggests it's branded LG instead of GL, but it stands for Galleries Lafayette, the department store that is still in business today. Somehow I think this hat could have been made by Mossant. I bought it for the colour, which is one I've never seen before on a homburg (or a fedora for that matter).

GL aubergine_01.jpg
Beautiful and rare color for a "Diplomatique". Gorgeous hat, branded with another rare French seller
I actually have one of these in blue, but these are such great hats I had to pick this one up as well.
Morreton Velrex velour feodra in black. Size 56 with the raw edge brim at 6,5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Wonderful shape and great hand to the felt of this velour felt. Fairly lightweight for a velour at 114 grams.

This time I'm not complaining about the size being too small because I have something similar that fits on my head. Clearly I envy the one in blue :)
Morreton can be a hardship, but also a delight as in this case

Beautiful and rare color for a "Diplomatique". Gorgeous hat, branded with another rare French seller

This time I'm not complaining about the size being too small because I have something similar that fits on my head. Clearly I envy the one in blue :)
Morreton can be a hardship, but also a delight as in this case
Thank you, Daniele. Exactly right with your asessment.

PanosChris

Practically Family

morreton velrex noir_02.jpg

morreton velrex noir_03.jpg

morreton velrex noir_04.jpg

morreton velrex noir_05.jpg

morreton velrex noir_06.jpg

morreton velrex noir_07.jpg

morreton velrex noir_08.jpg

morreton velrex noir_10.jpg

morreton velrex noir_11.jpg

GL aubergine_01.jpg

GL aubergine_02.jpg

GL aubergine_03.jpg

GL aubergine_04.jpg

GL aubergine_05.jpg

GL aubergine_06.jpg

GL aubergine_07.jpg

GL aubergine_08.jpg

GL aubergine_09.jpg

GL aubergine_10.jpg
Wow, take it easy with those French ladies in small sizes, Stefan ;)

batankyu

New in Town
Hello, here is a black fedora with velvet finish, "Select Velour" by Fléchet. I purchased it for 7 euro at a garage sale in Gavray, Normandie, France on Thu 8 Aug 2024. Any clue about a date range?

Top view:
ghX760A.jpeg

Front view:
AV1ISZ2.jpeg

Rear view:
R6YAb2A.jpeg

Left side view:
lytswYX.jpeg

Right side view:
WMQgt4K.jpeg

Bottom view:
tS2czRK.jpeg

Inner lining view with inscription ''CHAPELLERIE MODERNE F. PENOT 31 bis Rue de Montreuil VINCENNES"
86m53ek.jpeg

Sweatband front view with inscription of model "Select":
XmCI8jI.png

Sweatband left side view with inscription "chapeau fléchet made in France" and "ÉTABLISSEMENTS FLÉCHET FRÈRES FONDÉS EN 1852":
3eSyIO7.jpeg

Sweatband right side view with owner initials "MJ" and inscription "CHAPELLERIE MODERNE F. PENOT 31 bis Rue de Montreuil VINCENNES":
eXnGjMt.jpeg

Sweatband general rear view:
N2Aj9NZ.jpeg

Sweatband rear view with owner initials "MJ" and missing bow knot:
gB9kmia.jpeg

tag behind sweat band with inscription "Bflechet, Rce: 9272, Qte: Select Velour":
CbhFBMH.jpeg

On my head...
qH9t0sQ.jpeg

nVIpRvY.jpeg

0fzokRn.jpeg

oMyly2o.jpeg

zA1J2zL.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello, here is a black fedora with velvet finish, "Select Velour" by Fléchet. I purchased it for 7 euro at a garage sale in Gavray, Normandie, France on Thu 8 Aug 2024. Any clue about a date range?

Top view:
ghX760A.jpeg

Front view:
AV1ISZ2.jpeg

Rear view:
R6YAb2A.jpeg

Left side view:
lytswYX.jpeg

Right side view:
WMQgt4K.jpeg

Bottom view:
tS2czRK.jpeg

Inner lining view with inscription ''CHAPELLERIE MODERNE F. PENOT 31 bis Rue de Montreuil VINCENNES"
86m53ek.jpeg

Sweatband front view with inscription of model "Select":
XmCI8jI.png

Sweatband left side view with inscription "chapeau fléchet made in France" and "ÉTABLISSEMENTS FLÉCHET FRÈRES FONDÉS EN 1852":
3eSyIO7.jpeg

Sweatband right side view with owner initials "MJ" and inscription "CHAPELLERIE MODERNE F. PENOT 31 bis Rue de Montreuil VINCENNES":
eXnGjMt.jpeg

Sweatband general rear view:
N2Aj9NZ.jpeg

Sweatband rear view with owner initials "MJ" and missing bow knot:
gB9kmia.jpeg

tag behind sweat band with inscription "Bflechet, Rce: 9272, Qte: Select Velour":
CbhFBMH.jpeg

On my head...
qH9t0sQ.jpeg

nVIpRvY.jpeg

0fzokRn.jpeg

oMyly2o.jpeg

zA1J2zL.jpeg
That is a great find. Liner and sweatband imprint suggest it's pre-WWII. I'd say thirties.

batankyu

New in Town
Hello, on Sat 20 Jul 2024, I purchased this velvet fedora for 6 euro at a garage sale in Annoville, Normandie, France. After many searches on the web, I still cannot figure what this inscription "BF première marque" stands for in the inner lining. Does anyone know? Could it be that this inner lining is not the original one that came with hat? As usual, any hint on a date range is welcome.

Top view, pinched.
8B2AbCo.jpeg

Front view, pinched.
MUHpNPR.jpeg

Rear view, pinched.
ElwUfXn.jpeg

Left side view, pinched.
liNwDwd.jpeg

Right side view, pinched.
Me3ZsVT.jpeg

Bottom view.
sCLydL3.jpeg

Inner lining,, with inscription "BF PREMIÈRE MARQUE" (?).

0Ym10Tx.jpeg

Sweatband, right side, with inscription "GAUQUELIN 107, Rue Torteron SAINT-LÔ".
AzRY5JA.jpeg

Sweatband, left side, with owner's initials "GR".
L12t4DD.jpeg

Sweat band, rear with bow knot.
rLqLJiZ.jpeg

Tag behind sweatband, with inscription "3", "Ref 2548" "g90", "Qte GUIB" (?).
exOmPfE.jpeg

Top view, not pinched.
9HiprCx.jpeg

Front view, not pinched.
gbG9RUo.jpeg

Rear view, not pinched.
irhW6Fc.jpeg

Left side view, not pinched.
thjDLVK.jpeg

Right side view, not pinched.
qlTzOvv.jpeg

On new owner.