Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

Asinyne

New in Town
Does the Premium Goatskin shrink in the sleeves? I’m wanting to get a trucker and I’m trying to mostly match the measurements of one of the my Levi’s truckers. Those have 19” shoulders and 24” sleeves and I more or less like where the sleeves fall (maybe a half inch too long as it’s almost to the back of my thumb knuckle), but on my customizations I want to also shrink the shoulders from 19” to 18” (which should shorten the sleeves that 1/2 inch), but I’m also concerned that the sleeves will shrink and become too short.

I guess I’m just paranoid that I’m overlooking something when you factor in leather and its thickness, creasing, construction tolerances, etc. Ideally, I’d like my sleeves to fall about 1/2” to maybe 1” past where my wrist bends.

KCW2702

New in Town
HI , new to here and nice to know you guys.
I already have a few high quality leather jackets, which are warm enough for winter. including
Vanson C2- thick and heavy as hell with quilted lining
Buzz Rickson AN6552 - mid weight with warm fur collar
I would like to buy a cheaper summer fashion jacket , possibly a russet A2, for warm weather around 22-19C.
I am thinking about Five star jacket for the low cost.
No repo accurate is needed, i want it looks firm, strong and feel ventilated.
What material and thickness would you suggest ?

Many thanks.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
I already have a few high quality leather jackets, which are warm enough for winter. including
I would like to buy a cheaper summer fashion jacket , possibly a russet A2, for warm weather around 22-19C.

Many thanks.
if you know high quality leather jackets, you won't be satisfied with 5*. Regardless of the price.
If you can't be dissuaded, then take premium goat. But not russet, but if only seal or black.
To be fair, I don't know the new leather.

newtojackets

Practically Family

Many thanks.
Why not get a used jacket? A used schott will run you about the same as a new 5*

newtojackets

Practically Family
if you know high quality leather jackets, you won't be satisfied with 5*. Regardless of the price.
If you can't be dissuaded, then take premium goat. But not russet, but if only seal or black.
To be fair, I don't know the new leather.
In your opinion, how does 5* compare to rugged west?

newtojackets

Practically Family
Let me put it this way... I no longer have a single 5* jacket (apart from a shearling waistcoat), but I still have three RW jackets that I also like to wear.
But you won't get an A-2 from RW. I think.
Ah interesting. As someone who hasn’t owned either, I’m curious to know what exactly separates the two?

Leather quality? Stitching? Pattern?

konadog

Practically Family
I will second what MrProper says. My 5Star Type 3 (which I now have listed in Classifieds) is a great jacket, but it doesn't compare to my more expensive Lewis Leather and Schott jackets. However, for an A2, it seems 5Star has many happy customers. Avi Leather also does well for the A2 style at a good price; check this:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cossack