Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Five Star Leather Jackets

shadowtek

New in Town
I'm very new to the Leather jacket world. Been researching and watching a lot on here and all around for over a year now. Took a chance on Five Star after reading this entire thread and realizing Seal Brown, Crystal Goat, and Whiskey Horsehide seem to be the favorites if you choose them. I originally was doing veg tan crystal goat but they were out and having an issue restocking so I opted to switch to the whiskey horsehide and wow. Just got the jacket and the leather is thick and an amazing color. It fit perfect to me, a little stiff in the arms but I assume that's expected until it breaks in. I also have a Wested Legacy LC jacket that I love as my summer weight along with an 8 year old Italian racer style in light grey lambskin I got from a small dealer in Florence Italy who only used Italian zippers and Florence leather. I don't own an Aero, BK or others yet but probably will one day. I wanted a Mister Freedom but I'm a big dude and they don't go very large on their sizing, I miss it by one size I'm a 48-52 depending on the country and style and they stop at 46 usually.

For ~$400 all-in with 5 star I feel like it was a win to me. I got a Cossack style with a few modifications to follow the Einstein Levi style and it's going to be my new Fall/Winter jacket.

This just helps me knowing Aero/BK/Thedi and others are MUCH BETTER leather/design then 5*, then I'm now quite excited to one day put down a few hundred more for one of them but this was a great entry to giving someone my custom measurements, lots of emails back and forth, picking leathers, etc. Very excited to see how this ages, I mainly want jackets that will develop character and age in years to come.
image0 (12).jpeg
image1 (8).jpeg

Last edited:

blood_e

New in Town
how often does 5Star do his sales? wondering if i should wait a bit for that sweet 20% or just go for it.

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Fargham sent me QC pics of my order.

IMG20240606145508.jpg
IMG20240606145513.jpg
IMG20240606145537.jpg
IMG20240606145717.jpg

Aside from being slightly larger in the chest and waist that I was hoping for (about 1 - 1.5"), it looks great. Ive asked him if there is a process for partial refunds for local alterations, but told him to go ahead and ship it.

I have a local custom leather tailor I worked with in the past, and she is very good. In the event that it is much too large, I will have her make the necessary alterations.

Cheers,

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Fargham sent me QC pics of my order.

View attachment 619172 View attachment 619173 View attachment 619174 View attachment 619175

Aside from being slightly larger in the chest and waist that I was hoping for (about 1 - 1.5"), it looks great. Ive asked him if there is a process for partial refunds for local alterations, but told him to go ahead and ship it.

I have a local custom leather tailor I worked with in the past, and she is very good. In the event that it is much too large, I will have her make the necessary alterations.

Cheers,

I don’t understand why a custom make would turn out 1-1.5 inches larger than ordered? It can’t be that hard to get it right, can it?

I’m also curious why you chose to accept it instead of demanding it be corrected to your desired measurements? Is 5 Star so bad at getting things right that this as close as you can hope for?

I have scanned through this thread and already know I never intend to try Five Star - I am just surprised by your post and truly curious why you decided to okay this.

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
I don’t understand why a custom make would turn out 1-1.5 inches larger than ordered? It can’t be that hard to get it right, can it?

I’m also curious why you chose to accept it instead of demanding it be corrected to your desired measurements? Is 5 Star so bad at getting things right that this as close as you can hope for?

I have scanned through this thread and already know I never intend to try Five Star - I am just surprised by your post and truly curious why you decided to okay this.
Fair questions.

I sent Shawn a copy of the measurements sheet, both measuring my body, and my current textile bomber jacket I really like, but wanted the leather version to be slightly larger. Based on those measurements, and through a back and forth discussion, Shawn advised me to go with the L size pattern off the chart. I had some concerns that I raised with him that I was a little concerned that the standard L pattern might be a little too large, but he assured me that I wouldn't be disappointed based on his experience.

I trust his opinion, as he does this every day, and I figured that being slightly too large is much better than being too small. As I mentioned, I have access to a very skilled leather tailor locally (she is just too expensive for custom jackets for my budget), so I am not worried about having it adjusted if needed.

I used to work for M2M suit company (indochino), when they first started as the CS Supervisor, so I understand the process that these guys have to deal with. That said, I also understand that making large changes to pattern sizes can really make the finished product strange. Proportions are built into patterns, and changing some measurements by too much of a percentage without changing others can lead to worse fitting garments overall. It has been my experience to stick to the standard pattern sizes as closely as possible, making adjustments when necessary.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Fair questions.

I sent Shawn a copy of the measurements sheet, both measuring my body, and my current textile bomber jacket I really like, but wanted the leather version to be slightly larger. Based on those measurements, and through a back and forth discussion, Shawn advised me to go with the L size pattern off the chart. I had some concerns that I raised with him that I was a little concerned that the standard L pattern might be a little too large, but he assured me that I wouldn't be disappointed based on his experience.

I trust his opinion, as he does this every day, and I figured that being slightly too large is much better than being too small. As I mentioned, I have access to a very skilled leather tailor locally (she is just too expensive for custom jackets for my budget), so I am not worried about having it adjusted if needed.

I used to work for M2M suit company (indochino), when they first started as the CS Supervisor, so I understand the process that these guys have to deal with. That said, I also understand that making large changes to pattern sizes can really make the finished product strange. Proportions are built into patterns, and changing some measurements by too much of a percentage without changing others can lead to worse fitting garments overall. It has been my experience to stick to the standard pattern sizes as closely as possible, making adjustments when necessary.
Thank you, your explanation is very reasonable. So you never actually gave them specific measurements but more of a ball park?

I assume another reason you will trust your local tailor over 5 Star is simply because you can go in and work it out with her in person (try it on, discuss face-to-face)? That would be a big difference to me.

Good look on it.

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Right.

I gave them my measurements, but we settled on using the standard L size pattern for my jacket. There is always going to be tolerances of approx 1" either way when production is complete, so it has again been my experience in the M2M suit game, that going slightly larger is always better than being too small. It is almost impossible to let out the seam allowances to make the garments fit perfectly (and still look perfect), but taking them in is typically always successful.

I want to wait and try the jacket on, see how it looks, put it on over different layers, etc. Once I figure out if the size needs alterations, doing it in person with a trusted tailor is always going to be preferable over hoping that the factory can remake it off guesses. Thats why Indochino used the process they do.

Once I can figure out how my personal size works in relation to the pattern size, I can move forward knowing that any future jackets I purchase (if I ever do), will be spot on first time.

Bahabp100

Practically Family

It’s got to be easier and cheaper to let 5 star do it before it ships

Asinyne

New in Town
This is my fourth five star jacket. Crusader off the rack in their steerhide. Has an interesting grain, good weight to it. Love the contrast stitching

View attachment 441416
I saw you said your Crusader is a size 40, but if you don’t mind my asking, what is your height/weight/chest size? I’m considering getting one and I’m trying to figure out if I want a 40 or a 42.

abbaralph

One of the Regulars
I saw you said your Crusader is a size 40, but if you don’t mind my asking, what is your height/weight/chest size? I’m considering getting one and I’m trying to figure out if I want a 40 or a 42.
I am five foot seven inches. My weight is about 155 lbs. I always ask them to make my sleeves 24 inches since I have short arm. I am a 38-39 inch chest, 32 inch waist.

Asinyne

New in Town
I have a couple of questions I’m just gonna put out rapid-fire:
1) Does anyone have any pictures of 5* olive green cotton paired with black goat hide? I’m looking at getting a trucker in black goat hide with olive green cotton lining (or does anyone have any arguments for any other color/material — mostly for warmer weather wear)?
2) For the cuffs, what is the general spacing of the buttons and how do I describe that? My previous jacket I ordered had locked-in 10” cuffs and I’m thinking I’d like to have the first button set to 10” and the second to 9” and then of course the option to just leave the cuffs unbuttoned. Does that seem doable? Are the buttons typically a set spacing — 0.5” or 1” or…?

SPUdMurphy

New in Town
Ok, received my jacket yesterday, and opened it about an hour ago here on my birthday.

Overall, the jacket is really good for the money. Leather quality is great (aside from the issue ill outline below), construction quality is top notch, and even the fit is pretty much bang on (aside from the one issue I will also outline below as well).

I have a few questions, as there are a couple of issues, and wonder what the best suggestion from you all on how to try and resolve them.

First and foremost, there is a large blemish in the leather right on the chest that was not shown in the QC images that I was sent (QC images were added to my earlier post in this thread). Here are some pics I just took:

20240612_160410.jpg

20240612_160404.jpg

20240612_151937.jpg

This is a pretty big issue for me to be honest. I kinda feel like this was intentionally hidden in the QC photos to alleviate any potential for me to say no and ask them to remake.

Next, there is a weird issue with how the right hand shoulder fits. Im not sure if it is just due to being new, and as it gets worn, the leather will relax and it will be less of an issue, but I will add pics of what I mean:

20240612_151821.jpg

20240612_151721.jpg

When I move my arm up and down, the shoulder pokes up as shown in the pics. Im hoping that it will get better as the leather relaxes, but perhaps others have experience or suggestions on how to fix this aside from getting my leather tailor to make alterations.

I think the fit overall is pretty good, it will allow me to put decent layers under it without it feeling excessively large with just a tshirt.

Ive already sent an email to Fargham and Shawn, with these issues, and ive asked them for compensation in the form of a partial refund. That said, do you all think the blemish is grounds enough to ask for a complete refund or remake? I went over the QC images pretty thoroughly when Fargham sent them (and have again since receiving the jacket), and no way is the blemish shown to be as bad as it actually is in real life, or in the pics I can take of the jacket.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Observe

One Too Many
Ok, received my jacket yesterday, and opened it about an hour ago here on my birthday.

Overall, the jacket is really good for the money. Leather quality is great (aside from the issue ill outline below), construction quality is top notch, and even the fit is pretty much bang on (aside from the one issue I will also outline below as well).

I have a few questions, as there are a couple of issues, and wonder what the best suggestion from you all on how to try and resolve them.

First and foremost, there is a large blemish in the leather right on the chest that was not shown in the QC images that I was sent (QC images were added to my earlier post in this thread). Here are some pics I just took:

View attachment 620618

View attachment 620619

View attachment 620620

This is a pretty big issue for me to be honest. I kinda feel like this was intentionally hidden in the QC photos to alleviate any potential for me to say no and ask them to remake.

Next, there is a weird issue with how the right hand shoulder fits. Im not sure if it is just due to being new, and as it gets worn, the leather will relax and it will be less of an issue, but I will add pics of what I mean:

View attachment 620626

View attachment 620627

When I move my arm up and down, the shoulder pokes up as shown in the pics. Im hoping that it will get better as the leather relaxes, but perhaps others have experience or suggestions on how to fix this aside from getting my leather tailor to make alterations.

I think the fit overall is pretty good, it will allow me to put decent layers under it without it feeling excessively large with just a tshirt.

Ive already sent an email to Fargham and Shawn, with these issues, and ive asked them for compensation in the form of a partial refund. That said, do you all think the blemish is grounds enough to ask for a complete refund or remake? I went over the QC images pretty thoroughly when Fargham sent them (and have again since receiving the jacket), and no way is the blemish shown to be as bad as it actually is in real life, or in the pics I can take of the jacket.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Sorry bro, you got done dirty on this one.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

View attachment 620618

View attachment 620619

View attachment 620620

View attachment 620626

View attachment 620627

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
I don't understand why any Lounger who has read this thread would choose Five Star.. I'm assuming you ordered from them before you joined? I would demand a full refund and never look back. Never mind the QC photos - why would they even attempt to pass that work off in the first place? Where's the pride in their craft? Self worth?

Maybe I'm being harsh (I am truly a newbie to leather) but this is the final nail in the coffin of Five Star for me. Piss poor.

Thanks for showing and sorry for you.... I hope they don't give you any hassle and just give you back your money.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't understand why any Lounger who has read this thread would choose Five Star.. I'm assuming you ordered from them before you joined? I would demand a full refund and never look back. Never mind the QC photos - why would they even attempt to pass that work off in the first place? Where's the pride in their craft? Self worth?

Maybe I'm being harsh (I am truly a newbie to leather) but this is the final nail in the coffin of Five Star for me. Piss poor.

Thanks for showing and sorry for you.... I hope they don't give you any hassle and just give you back your money.
That is pretty much all there is to say. I would chalk this up as a learning experience and buy a jacket from a reputable maker next time.

Observe

One Too Many
I feel like there was some fudging of the QC photos to hide the blemish. It's visible, but only if you know to look for it. The shoulders are downright bizarre, and I would assume are that way due to a fundamental flaw in the pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1