Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fedorafest III Stratoliner from Stetson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry "The Hat"

Practically Family
OK, I'm pretty new here but I've bought two nice hats in the past couple of days from members here. I just started thinking about a Strat and then I saw this thread. The first time I saw it back in April I wasn't even sure what you guys were all talking about but I've done my research. I may be interested in one of these too if the price is affordable. I wear a 7 5/8 long oval.

Terry

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
majormoore;1246660. said:
There will be many more colors come down the road and as my stock levels build, I will and hope to have many hats to pull from with my shop inventory, so hoping down the road to supply ant request in color and size as we build other hats from this hat maodel.

Mike Moore, aka Major Moore

Thanks Mike that was what I was hoping you where going to say. Thank you for stepping up and getting this done.

Last edited by a moderator:

scooter

Practically Family
I read that Major Mike has to foot the bill for several sizes and/or colors? of this hat. My question is, for those of us who are interested in purchasing a hat, would it be helpful for us to supply you with our sizes and possibly even a down payment to help defray this initial investment. I don't think this would be unreasonable of us! It would help you with startup costs and also help determine what the actual demand ifs going to be.

Duper

Practically Family
I read that Major Mike has to foot the bill for several sizes and/or colors? of this hat. My question is, for those of us who are interested in purchasing a hat, would it be helpful for us to supply you with our sizes and possibly even a down payment to help defray this initial investment. I don't think this would be unreasonable of us! It would help you with startup costs and also help determine what the actual demand ifs going to be.

I'm in for a deposit if we can get an approximate full price (+ or - $20) I'm so impressed with the initiative taken here.

RBH

Bartender
A shot of the liner on this hat.
The sweat is Italian calf.

001axm.jpg

majormoore

Vendor
I thank you for the offer, but that is my job as owning a hat shop, to purchase the stock as needed.

Thank each of you that I know would pay either a deposit or the whole amount up front for the hat, but I have the funds to buy what is needed and hope to make a small profit in hopes that after three or four new orders, the profits have paid for the fourth or fifth order.

Mike Moore, aka Major Moore

J.B.

Practically Family
heh. I think everyone just wants to "guarantee" that they don't get shut out on the first run of this gem?! :cool:

...I mean, you wouldn't want all the FL-ers lining up camping out overnight down the block outside your store like folks do for a new Apple-gizmo release, would you? :D

majormoore

Vendor
What I will do once we have the hat all worked out and the price of the hat, I will post and ask all to submit what size they want, that way I have the bulk sold to the FL folks and they get the first shot, and also on each future color I run.

Just hang in there a little longer, the wait is almost over.

Mike Moore

heh. I think everyone just wants to "guarantee" that they don't get shut out on the first run of this gem?! :cool:

...I mean, you wouldn't want all the FL-ers lining up camping out overnight down the block outside your store like folks do for a new Apple-gizmo release, would you? :D

Thanks to all involved for the time and effort put in to this project. It looks to be a great recreation of a great vintage hat style. Major Moore, you're a true gentleman for assisting in this process.

Edward

Bartender
A shot of the liner on this hat.
The sweat is Italian calf.

001axm.jpg

Ah..... I was afraid the lining would be white. It's not by any means a deal breaker for me, I just wish that a dark colour would become the norm as whie lining gets so grubby do quickly and easily. Partly the oils coming out of my skin naturally - being shaven-headed, I don't have hair to 'protect' the lining from that marking it. Looks great otherwise, though. Definitely still in...

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
I've been following this thread nearly every day, and every day the "new vintage-style Stratoliner" looks better. I'm holding off on ordering anything custom until I see how this works out.

T Rick

Practically Family
Ah..... I was afraid the lining would be white. It's not by any means a deal breaker for me, I just wish that a dark colour would become the norm as whie lining gets so grubby do quickly and easily. Partly the oils coming out of my skin naturally - being shaven-headed, I don't have hair to 'protect' the lining from that marking it. Looks great otherwise, though. Definitely still in...

Sounds to be a really cool hat, and Major Moore sounds like a top notch Haberdasher. I do have a question on the lining, didn't the original Strat come unlined? Thought it was supposed to be a more "summery" hat. Just thinking that if that is all true, why not skip the liner on this offering? That should I would think shave at least a few bucks off the eventual sale prices too, plus, how many unlined Summer felt hats are currently being offered out there (especially open crowned)? Just a thought...

Sounds to be a really cool hat, and Major Moore sounds like a top notch Haberdasher. I do have a question on the lining, didn't the original Strat come unlined? Thought it was supposed to be a more "summery" hat. Just thinking that if that is all true, why not skip the liner on this offering? That should I would think shave at least a few bucks off the eventual sale prices too, plus, how many unlined Summer felt hats are currently being offered out there (especially open crowned)? Just a thought...

I have 2 vintage Royal Stetson Stratoliners, both with linings. I have seen some of the earliest Strats w/o liners, just the crown sticker.
I like having a liner so I can put them in during cooler weather & take them out during warm weather.
The savings on the price would be more like cents instead of dollars shaved off. JMHO

In most cases the insides were finished with no liner vintage hats. If the inside has to be finished it might actually add to the labor cost. Just speculation on my part. By the way this hat looks fantastic!

majormoore

Vendor
We are still looking over the hat, we have looked into a tip sticker, Hatco at this time thinks it would cost to much to tip stickers.

I know everyone is looking forward to the price of these hats, as soon as I get all the smallest details worked out with Hatco and inform them what I want on the first order, pricing has not been talked about at this time between us, I am not going to take advantage of anyone on the hat, I have to look at over head, labor to look at each hat before shipment to make sure the hat is not damaged , boxing the hat, box used, tape and time all these things add up in the long run and have to be added to the cost of any item.

Hang in there until we have everything looked down, the FL people will get the offer first, one week in advance of all others, that way the FL memners get the hats needed before any one else.

Mike Moore

T Rick

Practically Family
I have 2 vintage Royal Stetson Stratoliners, both with linings. I have seen some of the earliest Strats w/o liners, just the crown sticker.
I like having a liner so I can put them in during cooler weather & take them out during warm weather.
The savings on the price would be more like cents instead of dollars shaved off. JMHO
Great idea, I'll have to get into more info on how that is done, might like to try that on a few hats I have. Thanks for that, as well as the historical correction. :) Also, as we see from Major Moore's reply, it sounds like HatCo actually feels it would cost more (with sticker), so that looks like it won't happen. Good to know they've considered the option though.

I was just showing the liner in the one I recieved. Matt, Mike and myself are still in talks about other options.
I have also been informed the other prototype has arrived and we will soon have info from it as well.
Thanks, and thank you for your part in this. It's going to be a great hat!

In most cases the insides were finished with no liner vintage hats. If the inside has to be finished it might actually add to the labor cost. Just speculation on my part. By the way this hat looks fantastic!
Sounds like you're right, even without finishing, it seems the sticker alone would add too much to the cost.

We are still looking over the hat, we have looked into a tip sticker, Hatco at this time thinks it would cost to much to tip stickers.

I know everyone is looking forward to the price of these hats, as soon as I get all the smallest details worked out with Hatco and inform them what I want on the first order, pricing has not been talked about at this time between us, I am not going to take advantage of anyone on the hat, I have to look at over head, labor to look at each hat before shipment to make sure the hat is not damaged , boxing the hat, box used, tape and time all these things add up in the long run and have to be added to the cost of any item.

Hang in there until we have everything looked down, the FL people will get the offer first, one week in advance of all others, that way the FL memners get the hats needed before any one else.

Mike Moore
I don't think anyone here thinks for a moment you'll take advantage (and it would of course be anyone's option to NOT buy if they felt you were). I also don't think anyone here begrudges an honest businessman like yourself a proper profit (the life blood of any business, and in fact the primary reason most any business exists). We all want you to keep the doors open and doing things like this, and of course your custom work.

Looking forward to the info, and waiting patiently. And though there have been requests for "preliminary pricing", I respect and understand your reason for wanting to give only the correct answer when it is available, and I for one will be happy to wait until you have been able to properly consider the necessary parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe