Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
bentusian said:
As seen in this post of 'Jet Pilot Overseas' blog, these seem to have been more than just K-2B flight suits heavily modified - rather an experimental version I guess.
I also found another post in a different militaria forum referring to the same jacket with a bit of extra info on its possible manufacturer, but the jacket's identity is still elusive.
Excellent finds, very interesting stuff. Thanks.
thor said:
Flying Tigers. M-422's and an A-2, not sausage-skin tight (guess some guys preferred their jackets loose fitting).
As one of our resident pilots once said, reaching forward for the controls in a tight jacket is not very comfortable.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom. First one is Korea, the other two are early NASA. Forget all the bull from The Right Stuff, he had it in spades! He was one of two pilots to be selected for the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo program! He also was instrumental in designing the Gemini space ship. Unfortunately, he designed it to his body, all 5'5". The other astronauts nicknamed the Gemini's, The Gusmobile.
Gus3_zpsf8dd1a65.jpg
Gus_zpsfc0d45fc.jpg
Gus1_zps0c36727e.jpg

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Very sad how Gus met his final fate, in an O2 rich capsule, screaming and clawing at the hatch while flames engulfed him and fellow astronauts Ed White and Roger Chaffee.

Gus Grissom Roger Chaffee Ed White.jpg

Last edited:

South9407

New in Town
Gentlemen, please school me if I am doing this wrong. I haven't been here in a couple of years and I'm not sure how all the posts and threads work yet. But I am a vintage Navy flight jacket collector and I need some help locating a couple of Talon zipper sliders. Any help would be much appreciated!

devilish

A-List Customer
^To everyone on the Internet. Please stop posting this idiots picture. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need anymore publicity and we don't need all his clones buying up N2's like they did MA-1's for the last few years. He's a talentless hack.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
^To everyone on the Internet. Please stop posting this idiots picture. I'm pretty sure he doesn't need anymore publicity and we don't need all his clones buying up N2's like they did MA-1's for the last few years. He's a talentless hack.

Are you talking about Bob Hope, or the Apollo Astronauts? Those are the only really famous people I recognize on this page!

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Are you talking about Bob Hope, or the Apollo Astronauts? Those are the only really famous people I recognize on this page!

I sort of agree, but who is the bloke dressed as a dodgy Ronald McDonald, and what is he famous for ?

Is that a genuine N2 and is he a jacket enthusiast? To me the photo just looks like a man in a blue parka.

Edward

Bartender
Isn't it Kanye West? He's very famous. Hip hop / rap kind of stuff, I gather - not really what most folks round here are into. I'm aware of him because of his award-show antics.

Justhandguns

Practically Family
Isn't it Kanye West? He's very famous. Hip hop / rap kind of stuff, I gather - not really what most folks round here are into. I'm aware of him because of his award-show antics.

I think 'Famous' here is defined by age and region here in TFL. I guess the age group here would lean more towards someone like Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, or the 'younger' ones such as Steve McQueen........!!! Kayne West? Just the boy from Chicago.....hahahaha!!!

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Let's try not to act like curmudgeons or pretend the world ended in 1955. I know almost nothing about the man in the photo I posted, other than he's unquestionably famous and he's wearing a flight jacket. Sure, it's more than likely a modern day Alpha flight jacket, which will turn off the purists who insist on 1950s and 1960s vintage only*, but it still looks good and if it gets a few youngsters wearing flight jackets then great.

* The people who have a collection of vintage flight jackets, more than they will ever wear or need, bought for about $20 each when nobody wanted them. That's great and I'm happy for them, but the days of low low low prices for vintage jackets are long gone and I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a vintage flight jacket which has been worn by a dozen people, has some stains or smells, and needs a bunch of repairs. New jackets have their place and we should all be glad that Alpha still makes reasonable facsimiles of their vintage jackets.

EDIT: Actually the zipper on Kayne's jacket is wrong for a modern Alpha.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Let's try not to act like curmudgeons or pretend the world ended in 1955.

Oh so very true :)

That's great and I'm happy for them, but the days of low low low prices for vintage jackets are long gone and I can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on a vintage flight jacket which has been worn by a dozen people, has some stains or smells, and needs a bunch of repairs. New jackets have their place and we should all be glad that Alpha still makes reasonable facsimiles of their vintage jackets.

EDIT: Actually the zipper on Kayne's jacket is wrong for a modern Alpha.

* The people who have a collection of vintage flight jackets, more than they will ever wear or need, bought for about $20 each when nobody wanted them.

I only have one and yes I have had it a long time, over 30 years.
And yes, some folks would not be seen dead wearing vintage clothing due to stains and odours etc.

As I asked, is Mr West a jacket enthusiast or famous for wearing them? I guess otherwise he is the sort who could pay the most for the rarest just to say he had got it.

devilish

A-List Customer
I posted as I dislike Kanye because of his terrible attitude towards life and his extremely annoying tendency toward self aggrandizement. An all to common occurrence in American pop culture these days. Having a big mouth and bad attitude is too often praised.
His jacket is probably an over priced 'designer' version from someplace like Visvim or his own Yeezy company.
Personally I am glad that we live in an age where styles from all eras can be worn together as one wants, that's not the issue. The deifying of the rude and talentless is what I disagree with and Kanye is virtually the poster boy for this practice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe