Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FACEBOOK: the end of the world as we knew it...

Warden

One Too Many
Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying Microsoft are right. After all the fax is still here (just).

But I did organise a family holiday with my sister and did not use email, all done via Facebook. Perhaps MS are right it is the future, I just did not see it coming

Harry

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Mike I love this post of yours...

Mike in Seattle said:
OK, she's 7 and you turn her loose on the computer... And really, grandma's going through menopause - who the heck gives a hoot in this day and age? Who taught the kid to use the computer, and further, bravo for a 7 year old who can spell a rather...advanced term AND use it in the correct context.
Bravo, friend!

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
I agree completely...

scotrace said:
I'm now in contact with nieces and nephews I had not seen or heard of in decades due to Facebook... People I knew in past lives and wondered if they were happy, well, etc. - now I can see from their facebook profile that they re at least alive and smiling now and then... I wish I'd thought of creating Facebook.
It's already proven beneficial, especially helping me keep up with far-flung family members who I would otherwise never hear from (and vice versa). And, yeah, even though I'm still not sure about the business model, this IS up there IMHO with eBay, Amazon, and Google. Truly world-changing.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
I'm a user of Facebook and I'm not ashamed. Like others have said here, it's all in the way you use it. I just keep my pages private; I know enough from stories and my own work to know just how loaded with information those sites can be about anyone and everyone.

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Foofoogal said:
My little sister was not amused when i showed her facebook page on Google to her with her pixs and her pals pixs I keep telling her to be safe online. I seriously think these places have some responsibility to teach people how to be safe online.
I have no problem with the new fangled gadgets online if used properly.
One rule to know is not to put your childrens photos. Bad people out there. :eek:fftopic:

You're quite right - In the past I've found it shocking what I can find by just googling my own username. Best not to put it on the web if you don't want it seen.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ethan Bentley said:
Best not to put it on the web if you don't want it seen.

Amen to that. People talk about privacy--and then put more personal information out there than Big Brother would ever want to know.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
no offense but it's not like pervs. can't just go look into kids clothing catalogs or some such. I'm going to keep my pictures of my kids up so my friends and family can see them

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Zemke Fan said:
...I'm still not sure about the business model...
It would appear that they are in the data collection business much like telemarketing, but what they collect is gleaned voluntarily, though not necessarily knowingly. The information they collect is very valuable to marketers.

Learned this from NPR the other day.

Foofoogal

Banned
is very valuable to marketers.

A very oiled marketing machine. Learned that the other day when I posted something on my Twitter. These little chatty "went to (fill in the blank) to get a drink" is big business.

Anwen

New in Town
fortworthgal said:
My personal opinion is that it has created a socially-inept generation, where interactions consist of emails, blog or facebook posts, and text messages, rather than face-to-face exchanges or conversations.

On the other hand, it has been a godsend for those of us who are already "socially inept" (autistics, people with mental health issues, the terminally geeky, disabled people who may either be unable to get out and about, or may feel self conscious about their disability in 'normal' social interactions) as we can find others who are just as clueless as ourselves and get on with having friends instead of being constantly confused as to why people keep being offended by things that we meant nicely/why noone ever invites us anywhere/etc.

And at the same time, it's quite possible to use these things with good or bad manners, just the same as anything - a person who is checking their text messages at the opera would likely have been talking not-so-quietly to their neighbour or whatever if they didn't have the phone...

Plus ça change, plus c'est le même chose...

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I like Facebook. It's as flippant, flirty and immediate as conversational asides tend to be.

On a general privacy point, why not view this from another angle? How about we regard the information we put out there as an assertive representation of ourselves? We should take this opportunity to own the information we choose to make public -- in the sense of controlling its dissemination, not charging for its usage -- rather than act surprised and disappointed when individuals and agencies vacuum it up.

If individuals and agencies choose to collect online data about me, in a sense I've chosen to provide it to them, having made it public. However, this doesn't mean that they've an inalienable right to intervene in the public sphere and hold my data just in case.That's a misuse of the public sphere, because it means that anything I've said or otherwise announced about myself can potentially be used against me at any time in virtually any circumstances.

Without widespread awareness of the implications of our generally laissez-faire approach to the vacuuming of data by whoever, we're in great danger of becoming fully-databased criminals-in-waiting, as well as consumers-in-waiting. And by 'crime', I mean anything with a cash value in fines and associated fees. I naturally assume we're all in favour of information gathering to counter the sorts of criminal behaviour, which can cause great harm, that are usually associated with internet usage.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Alexi said:
no offense but it's not like pervs. can't just go look into kids clothing catalogs or some such. I'm going to keep my pictures of my kids up so my friends and family can see them

The difference is that catalogs don't contain information that would enable pedophiles to contact the kids.

Most sexual abuse of children is done by friends and family.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Creeping Past said:
On a general privacy point, why not view this from another angle? How about we regard the information we put out there as an assertive representation of ourselves? We should take this opportunity to own the information we choose to make public -- in the sense of controlling its dissemination, not charging for its usage -- rather than act surprised and disappointed when individuals and agencies vacuum it up.

Well said. Because we *can* put something on the internet is no reason we necessarily *should,* and I think this especially applies to personal information. That's a big part of the reason I stay away from Facebook/Myspace/whatever-comes-along-next-to-replace-them: from what I've seen on those sites, the whole point is to share personal information beyond the usual sort of stuff that comes up on forums like this one. You can control what *you* say about yourself, but the more networked in you are with dozens of other people, doesn't it get a lot harder to control the flow of information outside your own group of friends? That sort of thing makes me very uncomfortable -- just because I might want, say, my niece to know something doesn't mean I want all *her* friends to know it. So I tell her by email, not by plastering it all over a website.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
You can control what *you* say about yourself, but the more networked in you are with dozens of other people, doesn't it get a lot harder to control the flow of information outside your own group of friends? That sort of thing makes me very uncomfortable -- just because I might want, say, my niece to know something doesn't mean I want all *her* friends to know it. So I tell her by email, not by plastering it all over a website.

I use facebook, and do limit what I 'put out there.' Recently, I used an application caled 'photo of the day.' After using it, I realized that I had given facebook access to my hard drive to pull pictures. I immediately went into the settings and disabled that application. That was not something I want happening.

Smuterella

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Well said. Because we *can* put something on the internet is no reason we necessarily *should,* and I think this especially applies to personal information. That's a big part of the reason I stay away from Facebook/Myspace/whatever-comes-along-next-to-replace-them: from what I've seen on those sites, the whole point is to share personal information beyond the usual sort of stuff that comes up on forums like this one. You can control what *you* say about yourself, but the more networked in you are with dozens of other people, doesn't it get a lot harder to control the flow of information outside your own group of friends? That sort of thing makes me very uncomfortable -- just because I might want, say, my niece to know something doesn't mean I want all *her* friends to know it. So I tell her by email, not by plastering it all over a website.

you don't have to sign up with your name, address and date of birth though. a lot of people use obviously made up names, etc. And there is a PM function on there too.

Foofoogal

Banned
I naturally assume we're all in favour of information gathering to counter the sorts of criminal behaviour, which can cause great harm, that are usually associated with internet usage.

this is my gripe. In 5 years what will be the capability. The one and only place I put a few family photos was photobucket. When I discovered the world could see them I yanked them off immediately. Are they still cached. Probably.
If one is privy to a crime they then become liable to the crime. Especially against children. A real slippery slope IMHO.
As for as children also I feel they have no choice and parents are responsible. What will the kids think 20 years from now of some bad choice mom did or dad did when they had no say. Sort of like the parents that choose to stay in natural disasters.
I think the best way of looking at the internet is someone building a file somewhere about you. Your likes, etc.
I throw stuff out sometimes just to mix it up. lol
It is amazing what people put online. When I first came to internet I had to email a very old man new to the internet that had no kidding his social security and credit card no. on a forum as he wanted to buy something. I called him as he had his phone listed also. :eek:
People tell they are going out of town on such and such day. How long they will be gone. Hello...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88