Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FACEBOOK: the end of the world as we knew it...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
See I think of this much like..

If you give someone your phone number...can you really control that they then call you for stupid things?

Same with email....give someone your email address....and you can't stop them from sending you stupid forwards....

If you have a facebook (or whatever other place) account...you can't really control what folks around you use it for.

If one is honestly bemoaning the whole issue...then delete those accounts, and thus force people to deal on your terms...but to come to an electronic forum that is -just- as void of real contact...to bemoan the lack of social skills.....

:fing28:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
You could say the same thing about TV or any other distraction. A major cause of being socially inept is not getting enough practice socializing, regardless of the cause and regardless of which generation a person belongs to.

This is true, but I have yet to see someone watching television during a symphony concert or while eating dinner with a loved one in a restaurant. But yet I see dozens busy texting or updating Facebook from a mobile device. Generally I prefer face-to-face contact. To each his own.

Miss Neecerie said:
If one is honestly bemoaning the whole issue...then delete those accounts, and thus force people to deal on your terms...

Precisely my thinking!

Miss Neecerie said:
...but to come to an electronic forum that is -just- as void of real contact...to bemoan the lack of social skills.....

The most important factor to me is all things in moderation. Do I occasionally visit online forums? Yes, perhaps a couple of times a week. Do I live my entire life online, spend hours a day Twittering and texting, and go into a panic when Facebook or Twitter is down? No...

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
The most important factor to me is all things in moderation. Do I occasionally visit online forums? Yes, perhaps a couple of times a week. Do I live my entire life online, spend hours a day Twittering and texting, and go into a panic when Facebook or Twitter is down? No...

Oh I agree that all things are in moderation...I have no issues with those that moderate their own use of things like this...that's their choice.

But coming to what is in essence a online social site (even one based on a theme or topic)...to complain that social sites are the end of the world as we know it....seems strange and odd to me.

Think what you want of such things, its the 'complaining at one while using another' aspect that to me is just rather erm bizzare.

If the social networking is the end of the world as we know it...then erm don't social network...unplug....go read....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I love Facebook. It's a great way to keep in touch with my friends who happen to be scattered all over the world. It's a wonderful tool.

When I receive an invitation there, I am as happy as if I had received it anywhere else. Wherever, some one has thought of me; rather nice.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
fortworthgal said:
...I have yet to see someone watching television during a symphony concert or while eating dinner with a loved one in a restaurant. But yet I see dozens busy texting or updating Facebook from a mobile device.

I've seen people watch TV at restaurants. I've seen houseguests arrive for dinner, fix a plate, bypass the table and park themselves in front of the TV. My mother, ex-boyfriend, and certain relatives never shut the damn thing off. My sister-in-law's family, including her 80-year-old mother, won't do anything but watch TV and let the little kids run wild during family gatherings. Want to form a society to get people to shut off their gadgets and give their loved ones more face time? I'll be a charter member, for all the good it would do.

But as for the topic, getting an invitation via Facebook, I don't see how that impedes socializing. Maybe the person who issued the invitation didn't have time to several minutes talking to each person invited. Maybe Facebook makes it easier to keep everything organized and lets guests get maps and look up the time of the party and lets them download the info. In any event, doesn't an invitation, no matter how it arrives, encourage people to socialize?

I am a product of an era full of technology. I am a texting, facebooking, myspacing, IM ing, foruming machine. I spend lots of time on the computer, cell phone, and watching TV (usually Glenn Beck, or an old comedy). I still am a man of manners. My folks raised me to have proper manners and have taught me how to behave and interact with people in a proper way. I think that it isn't the digital age to blame, so long as you don't let it change the way you handle life away from the electronics.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
BellyTank said:
A "digital" invitation to a real event is good, no?

Electronic invitations and cards are praised as a paper saving alternative in today's green-conscious world. Besides, an invitation, no matter how you get it, is nice! It's only when people take it too far, like Cap'n Spaulding's coworkers, that threads like these get started.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
AtomicEraTom said:
I am a product of an era full of technology. I am a texting, facebooking, myspacing, IM ing, foruming machine. I spend lots of time on the computer, cell phone, and watching TV (usually Glenn Beck, or an old comedy). I still am a man of manners. My folks raised me to have proper manners and have taught me how to behave and interact with people in a proper way. I think that it isn't the digital age to blame, so long as you don't let it change the way you handle life away from the electronics.

Exactly! It's not the fault of computers that people are spending less time socializing face-to-face, it's the individuals using them. Like you, Tom, I was taught manners, so although I have the TV and computer running at the same time and usually for hours on end, when I'm with people those are turned off. I don't run around with headphones constantly plugged into my ears or updating my FacePlant account (which happens about once every two weeks) on the go; I save all of that for when I'm at home, without visitors.

And anytime someone uses any means (voice, text, pen and paper, yelling out the front door, etc.) to invite me anywhere, I'm happy to be thought of, even if I have no desire to socialize.

But, "To each his hang-up," I say.

Lee

Foofoogal

Banned
I interpreted that as a parent posting their child's picture on their own Facebook, which people do a lot of too.

this is what I meant. I am not talking about teens or adults though. It is a parents responsibility but thank God mine were grown right before all these came about.

My complaint with facebook, email, and twitter messaging is that most people fail to apply any rules of capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. However, my compliant is probably more indicative of my friend's shortcomings.

That is my pet peeve as well. I am not a perfect speller or punctuator, but I make an effort. I was recently told at work that I was to make all signs without punctuation or capitalization. I was disgusted that we have to dumb things down that badly in society. A couple of us are rebelling by still continuing to produce our signs the proper way.

Son_of_Atropos said:
My complaint with facebook, email, and twitter messaging is that most people fail to apply any rules of capitalization, punctuation, and grammar.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
^ Guilty of the same here. If I do not have the telephone # or address of someone, email or facebook are the most convenient ways to reach them. Whether sending a formal message or just a snippet of snark, though, I can't bear lack of proper punctuation. That's not to say I don't commit my fair share of typos, but never on purpose.
Other than the recent big changes over there, my biggest annoyance with facebook is the inability to edit one's posts after they've been submitted. I've been known to delete things once I find a grammatical error I can't ignore.

AtomicEraTom said:
That is my pet peeve as well. I am not a perfect speller or punctuator, but I make an effort. I was recently told at work that I was to make all signs without punctuation or capitalization. I was disgusted that we have to dumb things down that badly in society. A couple of us are rebelling by still continuing to produce our signs the proper way.

Not to go off topic:
This topic of "dumbing things down" came up in a conversation I had with two of my teacher friends. From what I learned, this dumbing down movement is wide spread and encouraged by school administrators in my area. Unbelievable.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Son_of_Atropos said:
Not to go off topic:
This topic of "dumbing things down" came up in a conversation I had with two of my teacher friends. From what I learned, this dumbing down movement is wide spread and encouraged by school administrators in my area. Unbelievable.

Really? That's sad and disappointing, to say the least. Do you suppose it's a carry on of the ebonics trend?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88