Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Examples of heavily used Aero leather?

simon jacket man

Familiar Face

Attachments

• IMG_20170114_212626_edit.jpg
    IMG_20170114_212626_edit.jpg
    1,006.6 KB · Views: 1,260
  • IMG_20170114_212555_edit_edit.jpg
    IMG_20170114_212555_edit_edit.jpg
    803.6 KB · Views: 1,281

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
I do like the brown quite a bit but I don't think it fits my wardrobe or style very well. Maybe a very dark brown. Dark seal vicenza is on my short list. Seeing the cordovan that's been shared here has me leaning that way, I really like how it's almost black.

Welcome!

Aero, or Horween I should say, changed their CXL cordovan in the not so distant past. Having seen both in the flesh, the newer one is far nicer and much darker - approaching black, like you say. I don't know if @Peacoat has the old or the new, but if it's the old I see why he prefers brown.
It's always a personal preference of course and go with your gut. I have a brown cxl fqhh jacket from Aero and it is exactly what I wanted (starting to feel/look great after a month of wear) and next time I'll either go for cxl black or cordovan steer, or maybe black Vicenza.

If you want to wear the hell out of a jacket, CXL is fantastic, but be warned that it shows that wear readily. Scuffs and marks are easily acquired, but the jacket looks the better for it (as long as they're acquired 'naturally'). Vicenza is actually very resistant to scuffing and scratches and the colour won't change as much over time, so depending on what you want it could be a better choice.

Here are a couple of photos I just took. It's not old, nor is it cordovan or black, but it might be helpful to you. I know how annoying it is finding endless missing photo links of things you're looking for here.

Best of luck

Furrowson

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I do like the brown quite a bit but I don't think it fits my wardrobe or style very well. Maybe a very dark brown. Dark seal vicenza is on my short list. Seeing the cordovan that's been shared here has me leaning that way, I really like how it's almost black.

I never liked brown, 6 black jackets and 1 brown CXL, guess which one is now my favourite? Yep, the brown one.
Brown CXL just has something very special going on.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome!

Aero, or Horween I should say, changed their CXL cordovan in the not so distant past. Having seen both in the flesh, the newer one is far nicer and much darker - approaching black, like you say. I don't know if @Peacoat has the old or the new, but if it's the old I see why he prefers brown.
Furrowson
My cordovan Highwayman is probably 8 years old, so I would say it is the old color of cordovan.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
No, I am stuck on the brown. Carrie did post pics of the seal Vicenza a while back that turned my head, but I just have no more room in any of my closets to bring in anything else.
Fair enough. CXL brown is extraordinary.
The sample I have of seal Vicenza made me really consider going that route, but I'm happy with my choice. It is lovely stuff.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
so how old is this? steerhide? my experience with Aero's Horween horsehide is that it will start to look old after one week of wear, AND IT WILL STAY THAT WAY for years to come! however, I suspect the wax in the leather may eventually dimish and the fibres will start to get puffy and soft and porous, then the leather will get lighter and appears thicker, and the surface will get drier. This is just theory.

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My 30s slim HB in black FQHH, after three or four weeks of wearing, is still tight on my upperback, little forward reaching room. What's the best way to stretch it? (I really don't want to wet it in cold water and wear it in this climate!). Thanks!

willyto

One Too Many
My 30s slim HB in black FQHH, after three or four weeks of wearing, is still tight on my upperback, little forward reaching room. What's the best way to stretch it? (I really don't want to wet it in cold water and wear it in this climate!). Thanks!

Wear it around the house and sleep in it while having it zipped up to your liking.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
No need to soak it in water, use a spray bottle or a wet towel to keep it somewhat humid on the outside, and just wear it.

willyto

One Too Many
No need to soak it in water, use a spray bottle or a wet towel to keep it somewhat humid on the outside, and just wear it.

Wonder what I have with me at home when wearing the jacket? Yes, you're right. A little spray bottle like these filled with hot water. When I feel like it I spray it over my sleeves, chest, collar and I have asked at home if they could spray the back. They sure looked at me like I was crazy.

1IQoIh5.jpg

I've been basically wearing my jacket at home even when sleeping since winter arrived, while watching movies, surfind forums or playing videogames. I even wear the jacket while cooking, eating, doing the dishes and cleaning the house. Basically all the time at home and spray it quite often during the day. Even my cat loves sleeping over me when I'm taking a nap on the sofa (No worries, I'm never going to sell this Aero)

Jacket just feels like a glove now, it has adapted to me like I wouldn't have thought, it was very tight at the shoulders when I first got it and now is very comfortable. Although I have to say that my leather is not heavy at all, Horween medium weight I would say, old leather batch from the 90s

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun