Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It is always great to find such history in a hat. Congrats.

So here's an interesting hat that I found on the bay. I haven't really seen a Dobbs with the 3 stitch brim edge before although with the loss of early photos on the site it's hard to tell. The brim is somewhat stiff and the crown is pretty pliable, kind of a cool hat, price tag, but no liner.

The most interesting thing about the hat is it's former owner Dr Arthur T Kemper... or should I say his father Dr GWH Kemper (General William Harrison) who was a Civil War General that was a surgeon. I found that part really appeals to the history buff in me. Last photo is from the Library of Congress.

The tag is 50's and since the original owner died in 1954 that would seriously narrow down the hat's date to 70 years old or more.

So here's an interesting hat that I found on the bay. I haven't really seen a Dobbs with the 3 stitch brim edge before although with the loss of early photos on the site it's hard to tell. The brim is somewhat stiff and the crown is pretty pliable, kind of a cool hat, price tag, but no liner.

The most interesting thing about the hat is it's former owner Dr Arthur T Kemper... or should I say his father Dr GWH Kemper (General William Harrison) who was a Civil War General that was a surgeon. I found that part really appeals to the history buff in me. Last photo is from the Library of Congress.

The tag is 50's and since the original owner died in 1954 that would seriously narrow down the hat's date to 70 years old or more.
Nice find! Good idea Arthur had with the rubber stamp. General Kemper died in 1927. His son in 1954.

TimmyV

A-List Customer
Here's some pix of a Royal DeLuxe Stetson Twenty Open Road that I picked up on e-bay for 52.00, which I thought was a bargain despite it looking kinda rough in the ad. First 2 pics are as found.
Once I got it home I used some Bickmore foaming hat cleaner to see if I could improve the looks. Apparently the Bickmore foaming hat cleaner had some effect on the thin ribbon hatband and changed it to a rose color. Odd that it didn't do the same on the brim edge binding but no worries. I kinda like the outcome as it really stands out against my other Open Road hats.
Screenshot_20240926-105020_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240926-105037_Chrome.jpg
20240925_151701.jpg
20240926_124729.jpg
20240926_124736.jpg
20240926_124756.jpg
20240926_130402.jpg

Here's some pix of a Royal DeLuxe Stetson Twenty Open Road that I picked up on e-bay for 52.00, which I thought was a bargain despite it looking kinda rough in the ad. First 2 pics are as found.
Once I got it home I used some Bickmore foaming hat cleaner to see if I could improve the looks. Apparently the Bickmore foaming hat cleaner had some effect on the thin ribbon hatband and changed it to a rose color. Odd that it didn't do the same on the brim edge binding but no worries. I kinda like the outcome as it really stands out against my other Open Road hats.
View attachment 642511 View attachment 642512 View attachment 642513 View attachment 642514 View attachment 642515 View attachment 642516 View attachment 642517
That really cleaned up nicely, Tim.

RickP

Practically Family
I have a side hobby of collecting Stetson advertising. One group I have original ads is a 1939-1941 joint ad campaign between Stetson, Boeing Aircraft, and TWA airlines. The ads always showed a fellow in a Stetson Stratoliner hat, getting on or off a Boeing 307 Stratolner, And the planes were all in TWA paint. Big deal back then as this was the first commercial pressurized cabin passenger plane that could comfortably fly high up above weather and turbulance.

Being a Stetson Stratoliner hat fan it was an easy draw for me.

Now go back to about 2000 when the last surviving Boeing 307 Stratoliner went through a total restoration in order to fly it to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. in 2002 When the restoration was all done they did a few days of flight testing. On the last test flight before flying it to Virginia, Someone goofed and forgot to fuel the plane up. They took off and after a half hour or so reported that the fuel gauges werent functioning. Then the engines cut out and they had to ditch in the water of Seattles Elliot Bay a mile or so short of the Boeing Field runway. ( gauges were evidently fine...they just ran out of fuel). Definately a oh Crap! moment. Had to do another total cleaning and restore due to the salt water bath before it finally made it to the Smithsonian. On my last trip to Seattle I was driving down I-5 and actually saw this poor plane bobbing in the water minutes after it set down in the water.

(Bear with me... I know this is a long winded story lol). During the restoration they made up a ballcap with a nicely embroradered old style Boeing Logo with the "Stratoliner" name ove the logo, and the NC registration number of the plane on the back. The workers and company execs all got one, and Im pretty sure the Boeing Museum of Flight Gift shop sold them to tourists. Anyway I saw one on ebay a while back and figured it would fit perfectly with the Stratliner ads Ive got. Ive got Stetson Stratoliner matchbooks, and eventually will find a set of the Stationary, pencils, and playing cards that Stetson/ TWA/ Boeing gave to passengers. Guess Ill have to keep and eye out for a clean original silver Stratoliner oval hat box as well lol

Makes for a nice corner in the Stetson shrine ( the dining room)

Always funny to see what one can find on ebay at 2am lol

Compress_20241001_161446_6771.jpg
Compress_20241001_161446_6413.jpg

Compress_20241001_161447_7096.jpg

Last edited:

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
I have a side hobby of collecting Stetson advertising. One group I have original ads is a 1939-1941 joint ad campaign between Stetson, Boeing Aircraft, and TWA airlines. The ads always showed a fellow in a Stetson Stratoliner hat, getting on or off a Boeing 307 Stratolner, And the planes were all in TWA paint. Big deal back then as this was the first commercial pressurized cabin passenger plane that could comfortably fly high up above weather and turbulance.

Being a Stetson Stratoliner hat fan it was an easy draw for me.

Now go back to about 2000 when the last surviving Boeing 307 Stratoliner went through a total restoration in order to fly it to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. in 2002 When the restoration was all done they did a few days of flight testing. On the last test flight before flying it to Virginia, Someone goofed and forgot to fuel the plane up. They took off and after a half hour or so reported that the fuel gauges werent functioning. Then the engines cut out and they had to ditch in the water of Seattles Elliot Bay a mile or so short of the Boeing Field runway. ( gauges were evidently fine...they just ran out of fuel). Definately a oh Crap! moment. Had to do another total cleaning and restore due to the salt water bath before it finally made it to the Smithsonian. On my last trip to Seattle I was driving down I-5 and actually saw this poor plane bobbing in the water minutes after it set down in the water.

(Bear with me... I know this is a long winded story lol). During the restoration they made up a ballcap with a nicely embroradered old style Boeing Logo with the "Stratoliner" name ove the logo, and the NC registration number of the plane on the back. The workers and company execs all got one, and Im pretty sure the Boeing Museum of Flight Gift shop sold them to tourists. Anyway I saw one on ebay a while back and figured it would fit perfectly with the Stratliner ads Ive got. Ive got Stetson Stratoliner matchbooks, and eventually will find a set of the Stationary, pencils, and playing cards that Stetson/ TWA/ Boeing gave to passengers. Guess Ill have to keep and eye out for a clean original silver Stratoliner hat box as well lol

Makes for a nice corner in the Stetson shrine ( the dining room)

Always funny to see what one can find on ebay at 2am lol

oval View attachment 643913 View attachment 643915

View attachment 643916
Sounds like you have some stuff to add to this thread: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/hatters-cleaners-and-dyers.99090/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josephjay21