Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Lookin' great!

Now for todays number two...This one is NICE. Came in a Mallory box... BUT IT DID COME IN AN ACTUAL HAT BOX with bubble wrap all around. (NO packing peanuts) 3x Beaver Open Road in 7-1/4 silverbelly ( just a hair lighter shade of silverbelly than the first one) Again intact wind cord with 2-7/8" brim..... this hat looks almost new. Brim snaps really nicely ... no stains or holes anywhere. Liner and sweatband are almost perfect. Felt is perfect flat and smooth with no dents or wonky spots... Im really really happy with this one. No tag inside sweatband so ill drop it to a 9.5 out of 10 on the ebay scale. My other two open roads are 2-1/4 and 2-1/2" brims so its nice to have a 2-7/8" also (on my budget I really cant justify two identical hats lol)

Ebay wise, hat nimber one was a win, but number two is an absolute SCORE!!!

View attachment 633510 View attachment 633509 View attachment 633511 View attachment 633508

Like I said once before... I LOVE two box days!

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab
Updates on hats I’ve recently gotten.
One I’ve been working on but still have more to do and one that just came in minutes ago and can’t wait to get to work on.

For four years I’ve been on the hunt for “The Dallas” since first seeing an example of a Ten The Dallas. This more rare Twenty Dallas makes up for the long wait, and a low BIN snag also helps.

This light weight, Super Fine Knox is definitely a unique addition. Got it dirt cheap from Goodwill. Its size was unknown and looked small, but happy to report that it’s a 7 1/8, therefore easy to bump up one size.
Never seen one quite this color, which doesn’t quite show through on the photo here. The pug is very unique, as well. Two rows of brim edge stitching rounds out its scarce look.

8A3FA4DE-E4C1-4042-AEB3-A082C11F1250.jpeg
A04B8780-0EC5-4EA4-9925-6C7FF8A8AA61.jpeg
D56070DE-184F-4AF1-96E3-445D691A2D5B.jpeg

Last edited:
Updates on hats I’ve recently gotten.
One I’ve been working on but still have more to do and one that just came in minutes ago and can’t wait to get to work on.

For four years I’ve been on the hunt for “The Dallas” since first seeing an example of a Ten The Dallas. This more rare Twenty Dallas makes up for the long wait, and a low BIN snag also helps.

This light weight, Super Fine Knox is definitely a unique addition. Got it dirt cheap from Goodwill. Its size was unknown and looked small, but happy to report that it’s a 7 1/8, therefore easy to bump up one size.
Never seen one quite this color, which doesn’t quite show through on the photo here. The pug is very unique, as well. Two rows of brim edge stitching rounds out its scarce look.

View attachment 633736 View attachment 633738 View attachment 633737
My lord! Well done my friend.

Randall Renshaw

Call Me a Cab

RickP

Practically Family
Received THREE ebay boxes today ( thats even better than a Two dbox day lol!)

This one didnt have a hat, but a brim flange in an in-between size I didnt have. I have almost identical flanges in 2", 2-1/4", 3", and 3-1/2" brims. This one is a 2-5/8" brim in a 7-1/2" hat size ( leaves enough room so I dont have to remove ribbons, or cram them through a smaller opening). Its in perfect condition and clean enough to use right out of the box! Just need to scrub with some wood soap and add a bit of carnuba wax. I love the walnut flanges... they look great without refinishing, and most antique folks never paint the walnut ones white like they do with th poplar and ash ones! lol

Compress_20240829_104811_1608.jpg
Compress_20240829_111810_0923.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
Todays box number two was a project hat anyway so I wasnt too dissappointed lol.

Another stellar ebay packaging job. At least there were NO packing peanuts!. Its a cute little light Grey Knox 15. Really soft felt 5-1/2" crown with 2-1/2" brim.

Looks like it was prob a center dent originally. Ill let it suggest what it wants to be as I get it rehabbed. Its got some high mileage for sure. Sweatband looks kinda rough, but its really soft and no cracks ( it may actually be salvagable). Only tag left inside is a build tag with a lot number and body number... nothing else. At least the seller did a good job of figuring out the size for the ad. The reed is poking out for a couple inches in the back as well as a couple inches in the back of the sweat are unstitched from the body. After I get a better exam of the sweat Ill decide if its worth saving. I do have spare lambskin sweatbands and liners in a box somewhere on the rack. Any issues Ill just pop in a new one The embossed Knox logo on the sweat is in nice shape, so If I do opt for a new sweatband, Ill do some surgery and inlay the old logo into the new band. ( about the only original mark left... might as well keep it!. The edge treatment says its a Knox Custom edge. Looks like its a felted edge. No stitching and no loose spots... should be fine.

Felt is fairly good shape except for a couple minor nibbles. Theyre small enough that I may be able to sand some felt off the inside and adhere / pack the holes and pounce the top smooth. Liner is missing. 2-1/8" black hatband ribbon and bow is actually in really nice shape ( no scuffs, wrinkles, or faded spots). The thread stitching the ribbon and bow on is absolutely dry rotted, so Im guessing its either the original ribbon or it was replaced a Loooong time ago. Since Ill need to restitch the ribbon anyway, Ill remove so I can simplify cleaning and reblocking. As I said its an inexpensive project hat... all in all a decent $24 hat. Now it can get a good cleaning and a new useful life. Not perfect but lots of potential

Compress_20240829_104814_4164.jpg
Compress_20240829_104813_3833.jpg
Compress_20240829_104814_4497.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
Todays box number three is nothing dramatic, but looks almost new. I always keep the eye out for nice looking hats for bad weather so I dont get spots on a nicer hat.

A nice dark sage-ish green, raw edge Beaver Brand 5x. really soft felt and its in really nice shape. Feels really similar to several Soverign Stetsons I have. Except for a bit of forehead/ hairgel wear on the 5x embossed logo up front, the hat looks almost unworn. The little bow on the back of the sweatand the liner look pristine. Nice clean inexpensive hat that wont need anything but brushing and a little steaming / shaping on the brim. Going to be a nice casual kick around hat to pair with a denim jacket this fall. A couple minutes of steam on the brim and this should be good to go!

In case anyone has any Beaver Brand knowledge bouncing around in their head, there was this little tag under the sweat. To me its too dark a color to be "cactus" so Im supposing its a model name?

A solid ebay win!

Compress_20240829_104813_3348.jpg
Compress_20240829_104812_2856.jpg
Compress_20240829_104812_2335.jpg
Compress_20240829_121819_9697.jpg

Todays box number two was a project hat anyway so I wasnt too dissappointed lol.

Another stellar ebay packaging job. At least there were NO packing peanuts!. Its a cute little light Grey Knox 15. Really soft felt 5-1/2" crown with 2-1/2" brim.

Looks like it was prob a center dent originally. Ill let it suggest what it wants to be as I get it rehabbed. Its got some high mileage for sure. Sweatband looks kinda rough, but its really soft and no cracks ( it may actually be salvagable). Only tag left inside is a build tag with a lot number and body number... nothing else. At least the seller did a good job of figuring out the size for the ad. The reed is poking out for a couple inches in the back as well as a couple inches in the back of the sweat are unstitched from the body. After I get a better exam of the sweat Ill decide if its worth saving. I do have spare lambskin sweatbands and liners in a box somewhere on the rack. Any issues Ill just pop in a new one The embossed Knox logo on the sweat is in nice shape, so If I do opt for a new sweatband, Ill do some surgery and inlay the old logo into the new band. ( about the only original mark left... might as well keep it!. The edge treatment says its a Knox Custom edge. Looks like its a felted edge. No stitching and no loose spots... should be fine.

Felt is fairly good shape except for a couple minor nibbles. Theyre small enough that I may be able to sand some felt off the inside and adhere / pack the holes and pounce the top smooth. Liner is missing. 2-1/8" black hatband ribbon and bow is actually in really nice shape ( no scuffs, wrinkles, or faded spots). The thread stitching the ribbon and bow on is absolutely dry rotted, so Im guessing its either the original ribbon or it was replaced a Loooong time ago. Since Ill need to restitch the ribbon anyway, Ill remove so I can simplify cleaning and reblocking. As I said its an inexpensive project hat... all in all a decent $24 hat. Now it can get a good cleaning and a new useful life. Not perfect but lots of potential

View attachment 636072 View attachment 636073 View attachment 636074
These bodies a great. It will shape up nicely I am sure.

RickP

Practically Family
Already thrilled with the new $24 Knox. I had the perfect hat block in the shelf and already have the crown reblocked and almost all the wrinkles out. This one should turn out nice. Older soft felt is so much easier to work with than some of the new harder stuff! Older "10" and "15 hats are often much nicer felt than more expensive new ones!". Did a little work with a sanding sponge and a few of the moth nibbles are already almost gone. Im real happy. By the way... this mornings "Box #1" new brim flange is PERFECT for this hat. Its exactly the missing size flange Ive been looking for to deal with on modest brim hats. The one Ive been using on some of these is a 3" and leaves smaller hats a bit flat in the brim. The new one gives it a nice curl.

Hoping this one just morphs into a "Bash and wear" hat. Will see if it becomes my coffee hat in the morning tomorrow...Humm... which Hawaiian shirt would be best with this one?

Compress_20240829_134210_0238.jpg

RickP

Practically Family
While I was digging in the two new hats, went ahead and pulled the liner and sweatband bow off this mornings Adam Premier Pacesetter. Got a good woolite bath and did some wrinkle removal. Looks and smells a lot better. Got the leather treated with Pecards while the liner was soaking. Sewed the sweat ribbon back on (only stabbed myself a half dozen times before I found my thimble and put it on) Looks a lot more civilized now ( threw in a before shot to compare. Still looks like an over traveled hat, but at least its cleaner now

Compress_20240829_162538_8317.jpg
Compress_20240829_164146_6039.jpg
Compress_20240829_071938_8738.jpg
Compress_20240829_072522_2765.jpg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Love the color combo.

Already thrilled with the new $24 Knox. I had the perfect hat block in the shelf and already have the crown reblocked and almost all the wrinkles out. This one should turn out nice. Older soft felt is so much easier to work with than some of the new harder stuff! Older "10" and "15 hats are often much nicer felt than more expensive new ones!". Did a little work with a sanding sponge and a few of the moth nibbles are already almost gone. Im real happy. By the way... this mornings "Box #1" new brim flange is PERFECT for this hat. Its exactly the missing size flange Ive been looking for to deal with on modest brim hats. The one Ive been using on some of these is a 3" and leaves smaller hats a bit flat in the brim. The new one gives it a nice curl.

Hoping this one just morphs into a "Bash and wear" hat. Will see if it becomes my coffee hat in the morning tomorrow...Humm... which Hawaiian shirt would be best with this one?

View attachment 636102

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB