Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Here's a nice looking Stetson 25 Open Road for those of us with 7 1/8 hat size. I wonder how high it will go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280616721374&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Thanks for letting me know! Perfect for me. I bid, but expect to be outbid. I just can't hang with the high prices these days. I will also be interested to see how it finishes. MV's Stetson 100 went for $411, and lesser Open Roads have gone for about as much--can a 25 be far behind?

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Mobile, I waited till my auction was over. I'll be glad to remove my post if necessary. Others above were posting live auctions and wondering how high the price would go, though. Did I misunderstand?

ETA: The very first post in this thread says that FL policy now permits linking of live auctions.

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
No, I wasn't talking about passed auctions, Paul.

All I am saying is that it was my impression that it was a bit gauche to advertise live auctions (unless it is an auction of your own hat you are selling). After all, if you advertise it while it is live and 20 other guys suddenly see it that missed it before, the price could climb unnecessarily for the guys bidding that did see it. I thought we never advertised live auctions for a courtesy to the ongoing bidders. I mean, I don't know about you, but when I am bidding on a hat I'd like as few people to know about the auction as possible!

Maybe I am wrong and no one has a problem with posting live auctions, though. I could have just misunderstood.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I thought we weren't putting live auctions on this thread? Am I wrong?

The official Fedora Lounge policy is that the posting of live auctions is permitted. As a result, bartenders don't have to spend time monitoring this particular issue.

That being said, there are a number of us on the Hat Forum -- and I am one of them -- who have voluntarily pledged that we will NOT post live auctions here. Let's face it, most of us here are frequently on a Great Vintage Hat Safari, stalking prize vintage lids on the 'Bay. [I think the Hemingway talk in the WHAYWT thread is affecting me today...;)] It really does take away from the "thrill of the hunt" to know that people are randomly posting live auctions here. Out of respect for fellow Hat Forum members who may be targeting a specific lid, I will not post a live auction. Of course, many of the auctions out there serve a real educational purpose in terms of learning about vintage lids -- but that purpose can still easily be served by waiting until the auction is over to post it here.

So, all that being said, I'll take this opportunity to re-affirm my own pledge to not post live auctions here...:)

Cheers,
JtL

blixa00

One of the Regulars
I vote no live auctions...why create more problems for our cash strapped brothers and sisters here on FL???????? If you want to let a particular member know of something of interest there is always PM...just my 2 cents!

fmw

One Too Many
If it's an issue, then I'll not post such a thing in the future. The reason most sites ban the listing of live auctions is to prevent people from promoting their auctions. I think most of the links posted here have been for information only. I'm not bidding on the OR and I'm not selling it. I just think it would interest some members of the forum. Sorry for that.

Mayser

I picked up this black Mayser in size 58 cm. Probably late 1950s.

!CB50VP!!Wk~$(KGrHqN,!jcE0C6ZqCdOBNJ,r!,Tlg~~_12.JPG

!CB50W0!CGk~$(KGrHqV,!l8Ez+2n8T-GBNJ,rHL3I!~~_12.JPG

!CB50Zb!BWk~$(KGrHqF,!jcE0DIJRP((BNJ,rQwouQ~~_12.JPG

RBH

Bartender
I have decided I am not a fan of posting any of the autions.
Finished, ongoing or by Loungers.
Most of us will post a hat we get anyway in one of the many other threads here in Hats.
As to the finished autions, go back to the start of this thread and most links are no longer any good. You cant see what the post is about, I have removed some broken links to get rid of confusion.
As to posted Lounger auctions vs regular E-Bay sellers. Why not post both if you post any.
A Lounger and a seller can have two hats, say a vintage Resistol in a size 7 1\2. Both hats are almost the same, in great shape with the same color on both.
The Lounger can post his hat and bump the thread to keep it out there till the auction is over in hopes of getting as many dollars for it as possible.
But the seller should 'sell' his for as little as possible.

I have made the pledge to not post anything.
I will not promise I will not look at the thread.;)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ebay Win #1 Tonight

Silverbelly Stetson Open Roadie with an imprint of Morris Men's Shop, Stock Yard Inn, Chicago.

I live in the Windy City, so this one really is close to home. The Sweatband is a bit beat up with some of the facing flaking off. But it looks to be in good shape otherwise.

5362077251_8333dcc520.jpg

5362077287_1f3cdd70aa.jpg

5362687844_a204e0e037.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Ebay Win #2 Tonight

Now, this one is going to have to be a project hat, but for some reason the colors just struck a whimsical note for me. This blue/gray hat body with burgundy trim just looks so interesting to me. Plus it came with one of those Stetson hat boxes with the webbing carry strap. I have one other of these boxes and they are hard as steel and well made.

It is a bit small for me, but only one size under, so I am going to try and stretch it to size. I may have to replace the sweat band, too, but I won't be able to say for sure until it arrives next week. For sure it needs a cleaning and reblocking.

5362687532_82baca8f22.jpg

5362687588_3081f02390.jpg

5362077143_6c25888297.jpg

5362687690_d2ed07cbd0.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
only the second chamois I've ever seen, and with a very different logo than the one I had. Thanks to rlk, we know that they were in the Stetson stable.

thebroker

One of the Regulars
Silverbelly Stetson Open Roadie with an imprint of Morris Men's Shop, Stock Yard Inn, Chicago.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a Stetson Homburg with an imprint from Morris Men's Shop. Unfortunately, though, the sweatband was in bad shape. I intended to wear the hat, so the sweatband was removed and replaced when I sent it to the fine folks at Optimo for renovation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007