Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
!B4BH5Qg!mk~$(KGrHqN,!gsEyGkd2qPCBMoRMoled!~~_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...mUQZXK8cyejBBK8vskw%3D&viewitem=#ht_731wt_907

Tales of Wells Fargo '57 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMMjwRghQ2Q

80's TV Solar Energy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBeVBUACqFc&feature=related

That's an interesting hat for sure. Did the seller offer any further documentation as to ownership by Dale Robertson other than the photo of the sweat? Without it, I would doubt it's exclusivity to Dale Robertson :) Another reason I have stopped using e-prey, to many un-answered questions for me :)

Onward thru the Fog:)

barrowjh

One Too Many
Ebay has been so strange lately; why did this navy blue Dobbs 7 1/8 w/2 7/8 brim go for so cheap? Nobody bid against me. I think it is a regular snap brim fedora, and even though not very 'vintage' it still might turn out to be a very nice hat after clean-up and shaping. Did it look like a homberg to most? Why didn't anybody else want this hat?

This is another won at a reasonable price, a Stetson 3X 7 1/8 w/3 1/2 brim that appears to be in fair shape. The pictures are a bit dark, and the crease lines may be very dirty (or is it just shadows?), but normally these auction for much more than $26. This one was strange - I have never been in a situation where someone outbid me and then withdrew their bid (3 days before auction end). In effect, the withdrawn bid had revealed my bid, so I set up a snipe about $5 higher just in case somebody came in with a late snipe just a dollar or two higher than my original - and that is exactly what happened. Wierd! The hat is a bargain, why snipe in at only a dollar or two above my original bid?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ebay has been so strange lately; why did this [URL="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rt=nc&nma=true&item=250753866492&si=o%

I don't know about those two, although I should have been watching because they are my size. But I don't think I necessarily saw them. I get the feeling that certain hats don't show up when I go to E Bay and search on various word combinations, judging by purchases I see made here. Somehow many of them escape me. I don't know whether that's an Internet glitch of some kind, or a flaw in my search. I would have assumed the latter, but I have gotten more thorough with the searches, and still think that I don't see all that others see.

barrowjh

One Too Many
danofarlington that happens to all of us. Now and then I see a hat won on ebay in my size and I want to scream - I would have bid and chased it if I had seen it, and why didn't I see it? I have put a lot of filters into my saved searches to avoid having to look at things I am not interested in, and sometimes the filters betray me.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That's an interesting hat for sure. Did the seller offer any further documentation as to ownership by Dale Robertson other than the photo of the sweat? Without it, I would doubt it's exclusivity to Dale Robertson :) Another reason I have stopped using e-prey, to many un-answered questions for me :)

He's no Michael Jackson.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Market for fabricated ownership hats. He is also still alive in Oklahoma.

Not trying to be obtuse, but what is "...Market for fabricated ownership hats." Not being as erudite a collector as some I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Could you please explain what it is? Is this a sort of Limited Edition sort of thing where a celebrity signs some sort of paper document as to the veracity of such an item? If so, the seller did not explain this hat as such, nor mention any sort of documentation. I was only speaking for myself and relating my past collecting experience and criteria that I would require before I would accept just someones word about something, collecting wise. I was'nt purposley stateing some one was not being truthfull, merely asking a question about it. Sorry If in asking this I offended you :) and yes he is 87 yo.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Not trying to be obtuse, but what is "...Market for fabricated ownership hats." Not being as erudite a collector as some I have NEVER heard of such a thing. Could you please explain what it is? Is this a sort of Limited Edition sort of thing where a celebrity signs some sort of paper document as to the veracity of such an item? If so, the seller did not explain this hat as such, nor mention any sort of documentation. I was only speaking for myself and relating my past collecting experience and criteria that I would require before I would accept just someones word about something, collecting wise. I was'nt purposley stateing some one was not being truthfull, merely asking a question about it. Sorry If in asking this I offended you :) and yes he is 87 yo.

Well, we have a few different issues here. There are Special Editions,Limited Editions,celebrity models, etc. There are items supposedly owned by a particular individual based on word or letter. Also there are items that are specifically created to be sold falsely as belonging to a particular individual for financial reward. My statement was in regards to why someone would bother making up a phony item belonging to this individual given the lack of financial return, unlike the proliferation of hats embossed "Michael Jackson" that came to market following his death.
Here we have the standard manufacturer's sweatband embossing for higher quality "custom" made hats for specific individuals -not a celebrity endorsed or designed model. The dating and styling are as one would expect and there is a plausible story. A letter by anyone other than the original owner and placed in one's hands by them serves as a target to blame potentially more than a genuine guarantee of authenticity. One could check if he actually remembered 50+ years back.

=.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Well, we have a few different issues here. There are Special Editions,Limited Editions,celebrity models, etc. There are items supposedly owned by a particular individual based on word or letter. Also there are items that are specifically created to be sold falsely as belonging to a particular individual for financial reward. My statement was in regards to why someone would bother making up a phony item belonging to this individual given the lack of financial return, unlike the proliferation of hats embossed "Michael Jackson" that came to market following his death.
Here we have the standard manufacturer's sweatband embossing for higher quality "custom" made hats for specific individuals -not a celebrity endorsed or designed model. The dating and styling are as one would expect and there is a plausible story. A letter by anyone other than the original owner and placed in one's hands by them serves as a target to blame potentially more than a genuine guarantee of authenticity. One could check if he actually remembered 50+ years back.

=.

Thank you for clearing that up. Your explanation makes more sense than a one line response for sure. But I still am not sure just what this particular seller was representing, an actual hat made FOR Dale Robertson and owned BY him, or was this a STYLE of hat that was sold as a limited production model of a hat styled FOR Dale Robertson? For me, this would be the question.

Onward thru the Fog :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
... I took it to mean that the seller was claiming the hat was made for the actor and owned by him.

That was what I took him to mean as well and was asking what form of documentation was provided to back up a claim such as that if that was what it was. 'Fraid I've seen way to many bogus claims in over 30+ years of collecting stuff to NOT ask about such things. It is $s involved and wether it was $20.00 or $2,00.00 ( which I have spent those sums) I would want some sort of documentation as to a statements veracity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007