Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
I
On the other hand, I'd rather have three of these (almost four) than that single Whippet, but that's just me:

Stetson 7X Beaver 50

!BkQ6SWQBGk~$(KGrHqQH-EQEs92yHJKQBLW2WgfC3!~~_12.JPG

Nice pick-up, Scott.

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Nice pick-up, Scott.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks, guys.

You all have probably discussed this before - I'm sure there's a term for it - but, what do you call it when the hats have the curve on the sides underneath? (like the old westerns).

I ask because you see a lot of people say that hats like the 7x above are the same as Open Roads, because they have a western look, bound brims, thin ribbons. Dinerman has pointed out that there's a basic blocking differentiation, but I've noticed that Open Roads also tend to sit flatter on the bottom. I think that's also why you can 'dip' the brim of a true western, as opposed to 'snapping' the Open Road's brim.

I'm a western newbie, so please feel free to correct/enlighten me, but I did notice the curve on the bottom in a '40s nutria and also a '40s 7x western I had (both too small to wear). I love that look.

rlk, feltfan - you two have got to have an answer to this one.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks, guys.

You all have probably discussed this before - I'm sure there's a term for it - but, what do you call it when the hats have the curve on the sides underneath? (like the old westerns).

I ask because you see a lot of people say that hats like the 7x above are the same as Open Roads, because they have a western look, bound brims, thin ribbons. Dinerman has pointed out that there's a basic blocking differentiation, but I've noticed that Open Roads also tend to sit flatter on the bottom. I think that's also why you can 'dip' the brim of a true western, as opposed to 'snapping' the Open Road's brim.

I'm a western newbie, so please feel free to correct/enlighten me, but I did notice the curve on the bottom in a '40s nutria and also a '40s 7x western I had (both too small to wear). I love that look.

It sounds like you are speaking of the brim flanging, with the sides gently curving up on the sides. The crown blocking is highly variable and often not original(which might have been open crown altogether). Crown dimensions also are different over time. There really isn't a consistent blocking or flanging for the Open Road--just look over the Stetson ads as well as the individual wearers.
Your latest acquisition has the side curved flanging we tend to associate with modern western/cowboy hats, although more moderate than many. It probably is also a late Stetson(Philadelphia late).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
rlk said:
It sounds like you are speaking of the brim flanging, with the sides gently curving up on the sides. The crown blocking is highly variable and often not original(which might have been open crown altogether). Crown dimensions also are different over time. There really isn't a consistent blocking or flanging for the Open Road--just look over the Stetson ads as well as the individual wearers.
Your latest acquisition has the side curved flanging we tend to associate with modern western/cowboy hats, although more moderate than many. It probably is also a late Stetson(Philadelphia late).

Thanks, Robert. I'm talking about the actual opening of the crown, rather than the brim - on my two old westerns, the hat didn't sit flat (sides of the opening were in the air a little).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks, Robert. I'm talking about the actual opening of the crown, rather than the brim - on my two old westerns, the hat didn't sit flat (sides of the opening were in the air a little).
That would be the front and back of the crown being a bit longer than the sides
giving it a kind of roll downward fore and aft rather than flat at the bottom of the block. My old stretcher has that shape too. Some of the early Homburg-ish hats have that characteristic as well.
4299925150_520e1b1567.jpg

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
Thanks, guys.

You mean the upward curve on the brim? Someone posted an
excellent picture of a young Toscanini here a while back, sporting an
amusingly curled brim. I found the thread it was in, but unfortunately
the thread is badly mangled, presumably from one of the crashes here.

I set to finding it on the Web but could not. I did find these:

toscanini.jpg

Perosi_(left)_with_Toscanini.jpg

Assuming that's what you mean, it occurred to me that I once
asked Art Fawcett for a hat with such a curl. He referred to it
as "saddle", so that's what I call it. But I ended up with the Spumoni.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Mario said:
Wow...that's...meaty... :eek:

I was watching that one out of curiosity and expected it to go somewhere in the $250-$280 range, but $412? Oops!

I'd imagine the second highest bidder was surprised his $407 bid lost!

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
feltfan said:
You mean the upward curve on the brim? Someone posted an
excellent picture of a young Toscanini here a while back, sporting an
amusingly curled brim. I found the thread it was in, but unfortunately
the thread is badly mangled, presumably from one of the crashes here.

I set to finding it on the Web but could not. I did find these:

toscanini.jpg

Assuming that's what you mean, it occurred to me that I once
asked Art Fawcett for a hat with such a curl. He referred to it
as "saddle", so that's what I call it. But I ended up with the Spumoni.

I'm talking about the opening of the hat, not the brim; however, seeing that pic you just posted, I think the 'saddle' look probably requires the non-flat underside that I was describing - I feel fairly certain that the westerns with the nice natural dip to the front of the brim, have it.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
suitedcboy said:
OK, does anyone know if Bernanke is watching lid prices on Ebay?

I think we may have found the new yardstick for economic recovery. I think Whippets over $400 means the economy is sound and is recovering well.

I wish that the prices paid for luxury items by people who have more discretionary income than the average American, WERE an indication of economic recovery, but alas...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
I kept an eye on that one too. Too big for me, but I thought of Jimmy the whole time it was up.

I was very interested in that lid -- but someone wanted it more than I did. I hope they really enjoy it -- it's a beauty!

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82