Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Well, that's the point. The ceiling bid defeats the point of a snipe. In the earlier days of e-bay, it was also tremendously useful becuase there was no ceiling bid service like there is now. You could be watching something with a bid of $20 and at literally the last second you could put a bid in for $21. Most casual users of e-bay got really fed up with that, so e-bay put in place the ceiling bid to neuter the sniper services. Bidding last second no longer helps you win an item- what's important is being willing to pay more then the other guy.

I see your point. I almost always snipe, whether it be through a service, or manually. My reason is that there are too many people who will run the bids up on something, just to 'play' - I would just as soon avoid showing my level of interest. Surely we've all seen the unfathomable actions of a bidder who places a few bids in a row until he has the high bid. If didn't place my ceiling bid in advance, he wouldn't have the opportunity to play that game. I assume it's someone who really isn't sure what they are willing to pay for an item, so they use the bids of others to help them determine the value.

And I do snipe my ceiling bid - that is, what I'm willing to pay, not what I 'hope' to pay.

I've been sniping now for ten years - had to ask the question: "am I bidding because I like playing the ebay game, or am I bidding because I want that item to be mine?"

Edited to add: Of course, I realize that if someone else goes out and places a ceiling bid early, also bidding what they are willing to pay, not what they 'hope' to pay, then my sniping has no effect on the outcome whatsoever; but those aren't the ebayers I am concerned about - it's the game-players, the ones who are clueless as to item value and the ones who can't make up their mind what they are willing to pay.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Matchbook covers

Not sure where to post these, but they did come from ebay:

matchbooks1.jpg

matchbooks2.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
We have a Hatbox thread so why not a dedicated Hat Advertising thread? They are a piece of social commentary all by themselves.

Scott, your collection would be a good start to that thread!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Ephraim Tutt said:
We have a Hatbox thread so why not a dedicated Hat Advertising thread? They are a piece of social commentary all by themselves.

Scott, your collection would be a good start to that thread!

There are a couple of threads already that fit the bill.

Here is one: HatAds

B

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
CRH said:
The phrase "just when I thought I'd seen everything" is useless around here.

Wow, Scott! :eusa_clap

It's kind of a weird lot, but I bought them all in one auction - the Portis ones all show a progression of price breaks, which makes them historically helpful, I think, in dating Portis hats.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
ScottF said:
It's kind of a weird lot, but I bought them all in one auction - the Portis ones all show a progression of price breaks, which makes them historically helpful, I think, in dating Portis hats.

I didn't notice your flush....

royal-flush.jpg

;)

:eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Odd photo. I usually arrange cards in ascending order. Do most others arrange them in a descending order?

My cards are usually arranged by color, time, and order...

Whichever bets first.......

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:

Congrats - I hated to see such a small size listed on that one!

But...please take good pics when you receive it - the sweat stamp has that weird bird on the right that I have only seen on this bound-brim Select, and my bound-brim Select, and on the liner tip of a derby pic another lounger sent me. I think I can date mine better based on what you find out about yours (like that great ribbon-weave through the sweatband!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82