Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

hatted

One of the Regulars
buler said:
So everyone is willing to give these sniping services their ebay id and password????

B

I used snipers twice in the past, each time something went wrong. I'd rather stick to manual sniping...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
buler said:
So everyone is willing to give these sniping services their eBay i.d. and password????

www.auctionsniper.com is owned by eBay, so nobody new is getting your info.

hatted said:
I used snipers twice in the past, each time something went wrong. I'd rather stick to manual sniping...

Since www.auctionsniper.com is directly tied to eBay, the 'synergy' is more reliable IMO. I've never had a problem with it, luckily.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
www.auctionsniper.com is owned by eBay, so nobody new is getting your info.

Not necessarily true. I work with data every day in the IT field. Using this service more than likely adds your ebay id and password into another database. I'm guessing (please correct me if I'm wrong) that auctionsniper started independantly of ebay and was acquired later on. If that is so then the data is more than likely on a server at a different company where more people have access to it.

B

cptjeff

Practically Family
Yeah, I would be surprised if Ebay owned a sniper- especially as they built in an autobid system. You put in your top limit, and it'll bid for you if somebody tries to snipe at the last second.

I have never lost an auction where I have been willing to pay the final sale price.

Robert Koenig, Regensburg am Dom

I won this very old Robert Koenig, Regensburg am Dom (still hat makers today) melone (bowler) with original box. It appears to be in very good condition and of very high quality. I am thinking early 1900s maybe older. It is not my size but I decided to bid (as a collectors piece) when nobody showed any interest.

4271843739_72a5bbce95_o.jpg

4272585872_68727e60d9_o.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
I won this very old Robert Koenig, Regensburg am Dom (still hat makers today) melone (bowler) with original box. It appears to be in very good condition and of very high quality. I am thinking early 1900s maybe older. It is not my size but I decided to bid (as a collectors piece) when nobody showed any interest.

Man, must be tiny if no one showed any interest in a beautiful lid like that.

I once had a German, collapsable silk tophat in its original box ... you stored it folded ...

It was like brand new, but it was so small that the only person who could ever wear it was my 3-year-old son, and since he went to so few formal events, I allowed a lady to talk me out of it for her Victorian bedroom set — as a show piece — the hat, not the kid.

But it was a thing of beauty, as is your melone.

Congrats!:eusa_clap

Sam Craig said:
mayserwegener said:

Man, must be tiny if no one showed any interest in a beautiful lid like that.

I once had a German, collapsable silk tophat in its original box ... you stored it folded ...

It was like brand new, but it was so small that the only person who could ever wear it was my 3-year-old son, and since he went to so few formal events, I allowed a lady to talk me out of it for her Victorian bedroom set — as a show piece — the hat, not the kid.

But it was a thing of beauty, as is your melone.

Congrats!:eusa_clap

Yes it is very small but I have been looking for a old one from this hat maker (Dreispitz is also aware of) and this one was just too good to resist (being a bowler).

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
cptjeff said:
Yeah, I would be surprised if Ebay owned a sniper- especially as they built in an autobid system. You put in your top limit, and it'll bid for you if somebody tries to snipe at the last second.

I have never lost an auction where I have been willing to pay the final sale price.

Of course you wouldn't lose such an auction - if you have a ceiling bid placed, then anyone who places a bid against you, whether it be through a sniper or the use of their own fingers, has to beat your ceiling bid.

A snipe is simply an automated bid, placed at a time of your choosing. It is for people who either aren't going to be around when the auction ends, or who feel it is less risky to have software bid for them than to use their own fingers. In the early days of sniping, it was much more useful simply because of internet connection speeds.

If I'm going to be around when an auction ends, I use my fingers. If I'm not sure, and it's an item I do not want to have regrets over missing simply because I forgot about the auction ending, then without a doubt I snipe.

(and I realize that you probably already know the above, but based on anti-snipe comments I hear on the lounge, it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't. I think if we're going to be 'anti-snipe', why not take it a step further and be 'anti-internet';after all, ebay is just making auctions easier, just as snipe software is doing)

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:

Fantastic pickup Mayser.

That box deserves an honoured spot in the Hatbox Homage thread when it arrives.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
Fantastic pickup Mayser.

That box deserves an honoured spot in the Hatbox Homage thread when it arrives.

:arated: Looking forward to seeing more detailed pics of the hat also.

billysmom

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:

I'm floored. That's a gorgeous bowler!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

cptjeff

Practically Family
ScottF said:
Of course you wouldn't lose such an auction - if you have a ceiling bid placed, then anyone who places a bid against you, whether it be through a sniper or the use of their own fingers, has to beat your ceiling bid.

A snipe is simply an automated bid, placed at a time of your choosing. It is for people who either aren't going to be around when the auction ends, or who feel it is less risky to have software bid for them than to use their own fingers. In the early days of sniping, it was much more useful simply because of internet connection speeds.

If I'm going to be around when an auction ends, I use my fingers. If I'm not sure, and it's an item I do not want to have regrets over missing simply because I forgot about the auction ending, then without a doubt I snipe.

(and I realize that you probably already know the above, but based on anti-snipe comments I hear on the lounge, it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't. I think if we're going to be 'anti-snipe', why not take it a step further and be 'anti-internet';after all, ebay is just making auctions easier, just as snipe software is doing)

Well, that's the point. The ceiling bid defeats the point of a snipe. In the earlier days of e-bay, it was also tremendously useful becuase there was no ceiling bid service like there is now. You could be watching something with a bid of $20 and at literally the last second you could put a bid in for $21. Most casual users of e-bay got really fed up with that, so e-bay put in place the ceiling bid to neuter the sniper services. Bidding last second no longer helps you win an item- what's important is being willing to pay more then the other guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82