Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

buler

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
Thats the one I've been trying to buy since I missed the auction.I got it this time........Ya...Hoo!!

Way to go!! You've got your Hundred. :eusa_clap

Now you can stop buying hats.....lol lol

B

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
Michaelshane said:
Thats the one I've been trying to buy since I missed the auction.I got it this time........Ya...Hoo!!

You won't regret it.

We have a Resistol Beaver 100 in Betty's size that's like a Cocker Spaniel.....I can't pass by the hall tree without stopping to pet it.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Michaelshane said:

Nice hat! One size bigger and I would have been in there too.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
7 3/8 Borso
borsalino.JPG
borsalino_label.JPG
borsalino_size.JPG

I won the Borsalino and have already picked it up and dropped it off for steaming/re-blocking. It fits/feels great, but has a cut in the back of the brim. Other than that, I love it. Having never held an old Borsalino, I was amazed - can't imagine softer felt.

Bors1.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
Scott, You are going to love that Borsalino. Congratultions and I'm glad to read that you are having it steamed/cleaned(?) and reblocked. I hope this includes repair of the cut in the back of the brim.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
Scott, You are going to love that Borsalino. Congratultions and I'm glad to read that you are having it steamed/cleaned(?) and reblocked. I hope this includes repair of the cut in the back of the brim.

Thanks Carter, Not having it cleaned - they don't do cleaning or stitching. He recommended that I clip the bit of felt sticking up, then sand - said it would barely be noticeable.

If I decide to get it cleaned and the stitching in the sweatband repaired, is there someone you recommend that could do it without affecting the soft feel of the felt?

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
billyspew said:
Just grabbed this Stetson 5x for my first conversion..

I'm kinda into westernconversions. There is plenty of hat to work with and you can get just about anything out of it you want. The only drawback is they tend to be stiff.

Post pics when you're done

warmentrout

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
I won the Borsalino and have already picked it up and dropped it off for steaming/re-blocking. It fits/feels great, but has a cut in the back of the brim. Other than that, I love it. Having never held an old Borsalino, I was amazed - can't imagine softer felt.

Bors1.jpg

Congrats ! I was watching that hat but decided not to bid, I wasn't sure about fixing the tear, there are no hatters in my neck of the woods. Nice to hear someone got a good one

DoctorJ

Familiar Face
Lefty said:
Two great hats for one price - Cavanagh felt, Dobbs Planters Punch panama
e02b_1.JPG

Congrats!

I placed a bid on those at one point; I don't own a Cavanagh yet. I was hoping for that chance that everyone else might just forget. ;)

You know that section of your eBay homepage that tells you how much you spent this month? Well, I discovered it the other day, and let's just say it influenced my decision to bid any higher.

Looking forward to seeing the results.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks Carter, Not having it cleaned - they don't do cleaning or stitching. He recommended that I clip the bit of felt sticking up, then sand - said it would barely be noticeable.

If I decide to get it cleaned and the stitching in the sweatband repaired, is there someone you recommend that could do it without affecting the soft feel of the felt?
Scott, Have you contacted Bernie Utz in downtown Seattle? I believe they do this kind of work. This quotation is from The Seattle Business Journal, "In addition to the 20,000 hats to choose from, customers can bring in their hats and get them cleaned and reshaped at no charge. They can also turn to one of the store's six full-time staffers for expertise when shopping".

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carter said:
Scott, Have you contacted Bernie Utz in downtown Seattle? I believe they do this kind of work. This quotation is from The Seattle Business Journal, "In addition to the 20,000 hats to choose from, customers can bring in their hats and get them cleaned and reshaped at no charge. They can also turn to one of the store's six full-time staffers for expertise when shopping".

Thanks Carter. Byrnie Utz is where I took it - they will brush up and re-shape, but not stitch or chemical clean. They did my Marathon and will have the Borsalino ready Monday. Living just down the street, I stop by often - just another reason why Seattle is such a perfect fit.

carter

I'll Lock Up
ScottF said:
Thanks Carter. Byrnie Utz is where I took it - they will brush up and re-shape, but not stitch or chemical clean. They did my Marathon and will have the Borsalino ready Monday. Living just down the street, I stop by often - just another reason why Seattle is such a perfect fit.
Scott, There are some members who are hatters in the Pacific NW. Art Fawcett (OR) comes to mind. I believe there are one or two more located in WA.

Rick Blaine posted this in another thread a couple of years ago.

"A few:

North Valley Hat Co. in OR
Mike the Hatter in Ohio
Jimmy Pierce in Tx
Jackson Hole Hat Co. in WY
Worth & Worth in NYC
Arizona Hatters' in, uh, AZ
Peter Bros. in TX

... and lotsa others, I am sure. Google "hat repair" or "hat cleaning" or "Hat renovation" you will turn 'em up."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe