Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure that there's a rule about making such a statement and not including a few photos. ;)

Marc Chevalier said:
I inherited a 1920s black "Gelot" homburg that belonged to my great-grandmother's 2nd husband, Frederic Sheid. (He was the very wealthy heir to Belgium's then largest maritime shipping company, Armament Deppe.) It is the only hat that I will never sell. A work of beauty.

billyspew

One Too Many
Just picked up a Royal Stetson for less than £20 (including postage) on a BIN.
Looks like it's a 7 1/8 LO - if I feel I cannot stretch it to my size I will probably offer it up here.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350182562041
ac48_1.JPG

Bill

kiltie

Practically Family
Lefty said:

See, you guys THINK you want to see mens hats make a comeback. THis is why I have considerable reservations

I watched this hat from the day it was posted with great interest. It went waaaay past what I was expecting ( and therefore I didn't pick it up ). In fact, I was watching a nice looking Whippet going right about the same time and I think this one beat it out by five or ten bones. What gives? What am I missing? I've not seen a.) virtually any Dobbs go that high b.) anything not a Stetson Playboy, OR, Whippet, etc... go that high that quickly, or c.) really thought 7 1/4 was THAT hard a size to come by.
It is a really neat hat, but that's all I know about it - what else do I need to know?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Take a look at the bidding history. It was a war between 2 guys who really wanted it. Having said that, it is a fantastic hat - those other hats you're talking about have just been going for really low prices.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Yes, indeed. A Dobbs model like that one is pretty rare. It wouldn't have surprised me to see it go even higher. Nice hat.

Brad

GWD

One Too Many
kiltie said:
See, you guys THINK you want to see mens hats make a comeback. THis is why I have considerable reservations

I watched this hat from the day it was posted with great interest. It went waaaay past what I was expecting ( and therefore I didn't pick it up ). In fact, I was watching a nice looking Whippet going right about the same time and I think this one beat it out by five or ten bones. What gives? What am I missing? I've not seen a.) virtually any Dobbs go that high b.) anything not a Stetson Playboy, OR, Whippet, etc... go that high that quickly, or c.) really thought 7 1/4 was THAT hard a size to come by.
It is a really neat hat, but that's all I know about it - what else do I need to know?

It looks like Dobbs' answer to the Stetson Playboy. Unlined Dobbs makes it fairly rare and more desirable. I wouldn't pay that much either but it is a great looking hat and not that common for Dobbs.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Lefty said:

This one I got. I was attracted by the mention to it being a lighter weight felt, comparable to a Strat. I have a lot of normal weight felts, but only a few in a lighter weight, and now that the warmer temperatures are coming, it looked like a good pick. Price stayed reasonable, too.

I will let you know more when I put my hands on it (and my head into it :D )

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Since this thread's title includes "Gripes":

I was hoping to snag a decent new (to me) hat before a wedding/trip mid-April, but nothing 7 1/2 has caught my eye in quite a while.

I'm sick of having a big head :deadhorse

Stoney

Practically Family
Very nice JT!

:eusa_clap Great job and it's a cool color.

J.T.Marcus said:
This is the ebay photo for this Borsalino.

Borsalino.jpg

This is what it looks like after a cleaning, resize, and reblock on my split aluminum dome stretcher.

P1070289.jpg

I'd say it was well worth the $27.72 total. :) :D

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
HamletJSD said:
Since this thread's title includes "Gripes":

I was hoping to snag a decent new (to me) hat before a wedding/trip mid-April, but nothing 7 1/2 has caught my eye in quite a while.

I'm sick of having a big head :deadhorse

You really need to try harder.
Stetson Whippet. Buy It Now, $85, 7 1/2
I tossed in a small bid so that I could ask a few questions. I didn't like the answers, so I'm glad someone else took it.
6534_1.JPG
!BPPdoBQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKicEjlLmZ3G2BJypQ3v01w~~_1.JPG

suitedcboy

One Too Many
billyspew said:
Just picked up a Royal Stetson for less than £20 (including postage) on a BIN.
Looks like it's a 7 1/8 LO - if I feel I cannot stretch it to my size I will probably offer it up here.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350182562041
ac48_1.JPG

Bill
I can tell all the way from Texas that the hat will not stretch. What is your address, I will send a check and a postage paid box so that it no longer takes up space in your home......
:D

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Lefty said:
You really need to try harder.

Admittedly.

Being a Clark-Howard-worthy penny pincher, though, I've been over cautious. It's hard for me to spend that $85 on uncertain quality and service when I know I can have a new Akubra (from a company I have dealt with and know I can trust) for that same amount.

The last few days I set out determined to find something on eBay worth spending the extra money on and came up disappointed. Nothing I saw was what I've been looking for.

Life goes on ... I was just venting :(

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I'm not a derby guy, so I have no idea why this one saw so much action. It's nice, and in a good 7 3/8, but with the recent low prices on soft hats, I'm lost on this one.
3ecf_12.JPG
!BOwJD)Q!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLm(s8hBJwSE1Jfh!~~_12.JPG

4564_12.JPG
46cd_12.JPG

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up

carter

I'll Lock Up
A couple of weeks ago, I won what I believed to be a Champ Featherweight in the original box.
3386209663_e67d1504ea.jpg

It arrived today and the box did not contain the hoped-for Featherweight. :(
It contained this.

3387019784_6f2d151462.jpg

3386203727_7eae49512d.jpg

3386208065_63d632f61b.jpg

3386204597_e853d9a0e1.jpg

3387014648_f2a5bacd7f.jpg

3387019000_afbe74b90b.jpg

3386202637_1a3a73ca5a.jpg
:D

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
Carter, great score!

What is it about the Champ boxes? Is there some reason they were over abundant?
I'm not trying to be silly, it seriously seems to me that more than an average percentage of finds like yours are in a Champ box. I know my OR was ... I guess I'd have to search for more specific examples but I know I have read of several other instances.

Odd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az